I have an acer nitro an515-55 and the screen keeps turning black.

Options
2»

Answers

• daatboye
    daatboye Member Posts: 22

Tinkerer

Options
    Does the black screen issue still occur?

it just happened again but there was no error message this time so reformatting did something. It still turned off and on when I pressed the power button but eventually loaded the sign in screen. Not sure what’s going on
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Options
    For intermittent issues like this, I think you should re-seat all the accessible drive, device and cable connections to the mainboard to help clean the contacts just in case they are dirty or otherwise not making good electrical contact. Often happens if machine's are exposed to warmer more humid conditions.

Jack E/NJ

• daatboye

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    For intermittent issues like this, I think you should re-seat all the accessible drive, device and cable connections to the mainboard to help clean the contacts just in case they are dirty or otherwise not making good electrical contact. Often happens if machine's are exposed to warmer more humid conditions.
    It is still happening, I have a picture of the inside
  • JackE
    Options
    Did you disconnect the battery from the mainboard? Then reseat the RAM module and m.2 SSD?

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does the same issue occur when disabling fast startup in power options?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • daatboye

Tinkerer

Options
    Tried re seating those and it didn’t turn on right away (doing the turning on and off thing) but I think the problem isn’t the heat but the surface it’s on because when I put on a desk or really any solid surface it’s fine but when I put it on something like a blanket the screen will turn off. 
  • daatboye

Tinkerer

Options
    daatboye said:
    Tried re seating those and it didn’t turn on right away (doing the turning on and off thing) but I think the problem isn’t the heat but the surface it’s on because when I put on a desk or really any solid surface it’s fine but when I put it on something like a blanket the screen will turn off. 
    Nvm it’s starting normally but the screen isn’t turning on. Not even the backlight 
  • JackE
    Options
    You should not operate laptop on blanket as the air vents will be blocked and can destroy the graphics adapter from overheating. Try pressing FN+F6 to turn LCD screen on.

Jack E/NJ

• daatboye

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    You should not operate laptop on blanket as the air vents will be blocked and can destroy the graphics adapter from overheating. Try pressing FN+F6 to turn LCD screen on.
    Didn’t work 

• daatboye

Tinkerer

Options
    daatboye said:
    JackE said:
    Didn’t work 

Connecting an external display doesn’t work either
  • JackE
    Options
    Press FN+F5 to try to turn external screen on.

Jack E/NJ

• daatboye

Tinkerer

Options

JackE said:
    Press FN+F5 to try to turn external screen on.
    Didn’t work 
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry. This is not good because the graphics adapter might have overheated too many times when you put the laptop on a blanket and the screen turned off. You can sometimes get away with doing this a few times. But if it happens too many times, the graphics adapter can fail.  How many times did the screen turn off when you put the laptop on a blanket?

Jack E/NJ

• daatboye

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Sorry. This is not good because the graphics adapter might have overheated too many times when you put the laptop on a blanket and the screen turned off. You can sometimes get away with doing this a few times. But if it happens too many times, the graphics adapter can fail.  How many times did the screen turn off when you put the laptop on a blanket?
    Probably 5 or 6 times
  • JackE
    Options
    Try this. Unplug charger. Disconnect the battery pack from the mainboard. Press & hold the power button for about a minute. Then reconnect the battery pack. Fully reassemble bottom cover. Plug charger back into laptop. Wait for battery charge LED to turn steady blue. Turn it on again and immediately tap F2. Does a BIOS menu appear? 

Jack E/NJ

• daatboye

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Try this. Unplug charger. Disconnect the battery pack from the mainboard. Press & hold the power button for about a minute. Then reconnect the battery pack. Fully reassemble bottom cover. Plug charger back into laptop. Wait for battery charge LED to turn steady blue. Turn it on again and immediately tap F2. Does a BIOS menu appear? 
    No it doesn’t it’s almost like it’s stuck in a state of startup. No backlight, the fans spin but when it gets hotter they stay the same speed
  • JackE
    Options
    Try an external monitor again. Press FN+F5 to try to turn it on.

Jack E/NJ

• daatboye

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Try an external monitor again. Press FN+F5 to try to turn it on.
    Still no         
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry. We've exhausted just about all possibilities we can do on an online forum without having direct physical access to the machine. The GPU seems to have suffered heat damage if the external monitor also doesn't see a graphics signal. About all we can suggest is to have the mainboard  evaluation for an estimated repair cost at a local laptop repair if it is no longer under warranty.

Jack E/NJ

• daatboye

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Sorry. We've exhausted just about all possibilities we can do on an online forum without having direct physical access to the machine. The GPU seems to have suffered heat damage if the external monitor also doesn't see a graphics signal. About all we can suggest is to have the mainboard  evaluation for an estimated repair cost at a local laptop repair if it is no longer under warranty.
    Ok, thanks for the help