Flickering problem in photoshop workspace. PLEASE help Nitro 5 (Nitro AN517-52)

Spiffek
Spiffek Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
edited June 2022 in Nitro Gaming

Hello, first of all sorry for my bad english.

I have a problem with flickering while using PS - i've searched all topics, and i saw that this problem exist from year 2019, and still no clue whats going on...

I have a new laptop - Acer Nitro 5 (Nitro AN517-52) laptop with dual cards Intel UHD and Nvidia RTX 3050, i5-10300H CPU. All drivers are updated, and on RTX I have STUDIO Drivers, not Game Ready.

- I don't want to disable GPU on PS, because I'm using a lot of options for it.

- I can't disable g-sync (i saw this tip in other topics) because i don't have this option

- I have Nvidia Studio Drivers (on Game-Ready the problem is the same)

- I have this problem ONLY on Adobe apps

- I have the newest Intel Drivers

- I had drivers provided by Acer - the same problem. Then i tried to update drivers to see if the problem exist. Same thing.

Interesting thing. - When you rotate screen in Intel Control Panel - landscape (inverted). There is no problem, but i can't work with inverted screen ;-)

- When I move app to my second monitor - there is no problem, but i want to use my laptop screen.

Not my video, but it looks like this VID 20190809 233324 - YouTube - when you use mouse, tablet for drawing with brush, when you do anything on workspace all image changing brightness/contrast when you click/use brush. This is really really REALLY annoying.

I saw posts with telling others that dual-card laptops may have problems. But it is not a solution - the market with these laptops is huge, so ther must be a solution...

Is there really nothing you can do about it?!

PLEASE... help. I do not want this topic to be like the others - years later - without solving the problem. For me for OTHER people who struggle with it.

Adobe send people to Nvidia, Nvidia send people to Intel, Intel send people to Acer... and i'm still don't know what to do.

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    >>>I have this problem ONLY on Adobe apps>>>

Try disabling GPU hardware acceleration if you haven't done so already. Either thru the adobe apps (enabled by default) or by following these tips recently updated for Win10/Win11. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/hardware-acceleration-windows-7

Jack E/NJ

• Spiffek
    I've done it like you said - disable Intel GPU hardware through windows graphic settings - and still doesn't work.

I can disable Geforce RTX GPU thru Adobe and it works... BUT like I said, i want this to be on, beacause i use a lot of things in photoshop which uses GPU - like scrubby zoom. So that's not the solution for me.
  • JackE
     NO!!!!! Don't disable the GPU!. Disable the GPU's hardware ACCELERATION mode.

Jack E/NJ

• Spiffek
    edited June 2022
    Ah... I see, very sorry for misunderstanding your post friend :(

I've found what are you saying, but i don't have troubleshoot (mine is right on the screen - only: adapter, monitor, and color management) :-( 
    I looked for information for this, but it appears that my computer don't have this option to manually change this setting.

is there any other method? Or I'm doing something wrong?

- like video says - my computer don't have it

https://youtu.be/5IqETseKAK4?t=88
  • Spiffek
    Also i have this - this is it? GPU acceleration. If so i disabled it / restarted computer, and the problem stays

• Spiffek
    And for the Photoshop disable GPU hardware acceleration I have this

But i don't want to disable it (if i disable it problem stops), but i must use it beacause i use many things from photoshop that work with it.

Sorry if i understand something wrong. Like i said my english is bad.
  • JackE
    What options are  available when you click advanced settings when GPU is checked use?

Jack E/NJ

• Spiffek
    edited June 2022
    It looks like this - I tried all combinations on/off :-(

• Spiffek
    edited June 2022
    Maybe for you guys it isnt a very big problem, but this flickering is VERY annoying - trust me - when you click/click/click, and painting with brushes etc. and the screen/workspace make this flickering effect over and over.  Thank you JackE for your responses - you are very kind - I hope we'll find a solution.

As i mention, problem exist for many people from 2019... and Adobe send people to Nvidia, Nvidia send people to Intel, Intel send people to Acer... and i'm still don't know what to do :-(

• JackE
    >>>Interesting thing. - When you rotate screen in Intel Control Panel - landscape (inverted). There is no problem,>>>

I suspect a loose or damaged LCD video cable

If you manually rotate the entire laptop (Not use Intel Control Panel), does the flickering screen stop?

Jack E/NJ

• Spiffek
    LCD video cable is fine. When i manually rotate entire laptop flickering exists.

I don't have problem with flickering in games, browsing internet, use app like CorelDraw, or looking on the desktop wallpaper doing stuff etc. etc. So this is not loose/damaged LDC video cable.

Programs with specific UI have this problem - i know Adobe apps, and i searched that this problem also exist with Blender  app (this 3D). I downloaded old version of Photoshop (maybe new is bad - i thinked), but still flickering.

On my very old laptop with dual cards (i don't remember specification - some intel and geforce cards) everything was fine. But on new laptops something is wrong (like i said - many people have this problem). Something must be causing this problem, but what. 
  • Spiffek
    Another weird thing. 

When my photoshop is on, and then go to Device Manager, from that go to Intel UHD graphic card, and disable intel card. Screen goes black (normal thing - intel operates screen view, not Geforce RTX), and after 5 seconds go back to normal. And... problem stops, but some parts of UI is broken (not visible), but without a flickering on workspace area. This is not a solution, but i'm giving another clue.
  • JackE
    (1) >>>this problem ONLY on Adobe apps>>>
    (2) >>>When you rotate screen in Intel Control Panel - landscape (inverted). There is no problem,>>>
    (3) >>>new laptops something is wrong>>>

These seem to be your 3 key statements about the Adobe flickering laptop screen problem.  Do you think most new laptops of any brand & model have this problem, or only new ACER laptops?

Jack E/NJ

• Spiffek
    edited June 2022
    (1)  Adobe and Blender - maybe more, but yes. Adobe apps + Blender have problem.
    Other apps like Corel, Vegas pro, browser, games etc. works great.

(2) This is crazy, but yes... change screen to Landscape (inverted) on other like portrait in intel control panel, and Photoshop works great, no flickering. But I can't work with screen upside down :wink:

(3) Yes. I downloaded for test old Photoshop version that worked on my old laptop, but on new Acer laptop workspace area is flickering.

I saw posts from DELL, Lenovo and ACER users, so i think the problem is more global.
    Video from my first post VID 20190809 233324 - YouTube - this one. Is from DELL user.
    This is video from Lenovo user (1) Photoshop CC 2018 brightness flicker - YouTube - you can see well the problem in this video. This is a very good example of flickering workspace area in photoshop.
    I don't have videos from other ACER users, but i've read many posts from acer users too. It looks 100% like those two videos.

Adobe team tells that this is dual-card problem, and say to go ask Nvidia, Nvidia to Intel... intel to laptop creators (for me ASUS). Crazy... 
  • JackE
    >>>(2) This is crazy, but yes... change screen to Landscape (inverted) on other like portrait in intel control panel, and Photoshop works great, no flickering. But I can't work with screen upside down >>>

When you turn screen upside down from Intel Control Panel, can you tell if this also might automatically & temporarily disable the nvidia GPU at the same time?

Jack E/NJ

• Spiffek
    For what I'm seeing it doesn't automatically & temporarily disable nvidia GPU. I can do it in open photoshop many times, it only rotates screen - without disabling anything. I'm 100% sure, because scrubby zoom works (this thing works only with gpu on).

Another thing: I can do the trick with photoshop opened with only intel gpu acceleration (disable Nvidia RTX, and use integrated intel card from Windows 11 graphic settings - use priority to open program), but problem with flickering exist like nvidia.
    Second thing: When i use full screen mode in photoshop (double clicking "F") without the whole UI, flickering stops. But still... this is not a solution, and I can't work like that. Photoshop is very important for my job.
  • JackE
    I guess it does sound like driver issues especially with the weird Intel Control Panel inverted behavior. Obviously if it doesn't flicker upside down then the Intel Control Panel software needs a little refining so it doesn't flicker right side up.  Have you registered and joined the Intel and Adobe communities to post this issue there? Intel seemed to be quite responsive to someone having the same problem using Adobe+Blender on a predator helios PH315-53 with dual GPUs.

Jack E/NJ

• Spiffek
    edited June 2022
    I have my post on intel - Flickering problem in photoshop workspace. PLEASE help - Intel Communities 
    and adobe forum.

From your link from intel moderator : "Also, regarding the original issue "Screen brightness flicker in Photoshop/Blender", we were unable to reproduce the issue in our lab, and considering that you confirmed that this is not happening on a second monitor, this is most likely due to the hybrid graphics configuration. At this point, the best course of action is to report this directly to the laptop manufacturer (OEM) and letting them know that Intel® was unable to reproduce the issue using our latest generic drivers."

I'm worry that i will have similar response from intel...

But i will make another post [ or topic ] with this interted behavior. I think like you this can be it. But i don't know if they listen/post to me. I will try. For now you are the only person 
    who tries to help me [ i have topics on Adobe forum, Geforce forum, Intel forum ] . Thank you for that. 

• JackE
    >>>I'm worry that i will have similar response from intel>>>

But your observation that it---

doesn't flicker when Intel ControlPanel inverts the laptop LCD screen is very important counter-response

---if they try to brush you off.

If Intel Control Panel can eliminate flickering upside down, then they should definitely be able to tweak Intel Control Panel to eliminate the link right side up. It makes no other sense to me.

Please post links to your Intel and adobe comments if possible so I can follow. Thanks.

Jack E/NJ

• Spiffek
    I've add a new post under my topic in intel forum

Flickering problem in photoshop workspace. PLEASE help - Intel Communities - this is my post intel (nickname Spiff). Scroll down - i've added ours conclusion

Flickering problem in photoshop workspace. PLEASE ... - Adobe Support Community - 13029422 - this is my topic in Adobe forum (nickname Bart0101)

But Adobe  doesn't responsed to my post - so i don't what more to say to them. Just other people added their own posts with the same problem as mine.
    I readed Adobe responses in other topics, but adobe do nothing - turn of gpu, troubleshooting... this is problem dual-cards, and that's it.

Hope that Intel will help, and will write back to me :-) 

Thank you for your patience, your help, and withstanding my bad English writing :-) 
    If you are an ACER employee... please give him a big raise ACER!

and as for me, I hope intel will help...