New XR382CQK is very fuzzy I have not found anything to change as yet

Options
PenSmith
PenSmith Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Monitors
Just got this new monitor.  It is connected to work laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T470), it replaced my 2 yr old 24" HP display.  I find the graphics horrible on this.  ALL text, regardless of application, is very fuzzy and stretched out.  I feel it is a simple setting someplace, but I have not found anything to change as yet.  Any thoughts?
 [Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>I feel it is a simple setting someplace>>>

I feel you might be correct. Did you install the AcerDisplayWidget yet on the Lenovo?

Jack E/NJ

• PenSmith

Tinkerer

Options
    not yet, will try
  • PenSmith

Tinkerer

Options
    Installed the widget, have played with many settings with widget as well as laptop, including the Intel Graphics panel.  Display is better, not as fuzzy, not great.  Still nowhere near as crisp as the 24" HP display it replaced.  That being said, now the issue is how everything is stretched out.  I was able to get a resolution where things were not stretched, but then ended up with about 3-4" of black space on each side of the display, like it was 30" wide monitor.  Currently it is full screen at 3840x2160 at 23hz.  The manual says display is 3840x1600 at 75hz. I have tried using 60hz, and it is horrible.  75hz is not supported.  Trying to manually use 3840x1600 and the intel control panel says it is invalid.
  • JackE
    edited May 2022
    Options
    >>>3840x1600 and the intel control panel says it is invalid. >>>

This sounds like you're using the integrated GPU which is limited. Don't you also have a discrete nvidia GPU that you can enable? You should have an nvidia control panel on the Lenovo. Right click a blank space on your desktop.

Jack E/NJ

• PenSmith

Tinkerer

Options
    I have the Intel Graphics control
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes but does it also have an nvidia GPU control panel? The Lenovo T470 also shows a discrete nvidia GPU as well as the integrated Intel GPU. To check, open Device Manager. Click on Display Adapter folder. How many GPUs do you see?

Jack E/NJ

• PenSmith

Tinkerer

Options
    Just the Intel HD Graphics 520
  • JackE
    Options
    Does the Lenovo video output port support standard FHD resolution 1920 x 1080?

Jack E/NJ

• PenSmith

Tinkerer

Options
    Not exactly sure where the check that.  I do know that 1920 x is listed.  But If I use that, every thing is huge and very fuzzy.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Not exactly sure where the check that.  I do know that 1920 x is listed. >>>

If you're not sure where to check it, then how do you know that i1920 x .... is listed??? Where do you know it's listed??

Perhaps you should search 'display' in Windows start menu. Then click 'change the resolution of the display' near top of menu. Then check resolution options and advanced display settings for multiple displays. The 1920 x 1080 (aka 1080P) should standard full high definition (FHD) output from your Lenovo. While the newer display screen might not be totally filled, it should be fairly sharp at 1080P. 

Jack E/NJ

• PenSmith

Tinkerer

Options
    Current stats, as listed under the advanced display settings on the laptop:
    Acer XR382CQK
    Display 2:  Connected to Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
    Desktop Resolution           3840 x 2160
    active Signal Resolution    3840 x 2160
    Refresh rate (Hz)              30.000 Hz
    Bit Depth                          8-bit
    color format                     RGB
    Color space                       SDR

• JackE
    Options
    Does this mean that you couldn't find an option to 'change the resolution of the display' near top of Windows start menu?

Jack E/NJ

• PenSmith

Tinkerer

Options
    Under Settings / Display / Display Resolution, the drop down is greyed out.
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. That might be because of the limited external output port resolutions available for the Lenovo using the 520 GPU. What Lenovo output port are you trying to use?

Jack E/NJ

• PenSmith

Tinkerer

Options
    Not sure of the question.  Just trying to get a display that looks as crisp as the 24" HP that this one replaced.  SAdly, this is a work laptop, work display.  I was just made full time, so took my HP monitor home and they bought me this behemoth.  I can live with the stretched display, but the fuzziness is tiring on the eyes.  I have tried a few things, to make a bit better, still not great.  Went the through 520 GPU graphics calibration and got it a little better.  Playing around a bit yesterday I was able to set it to 1920 x 1080, but the scaling was off (huge), Now it is set to 3840 x 2160, which is better scaling, but still a bit stretched.  Still does not really address the fuzziness.  I tried to attach a screen shot, but it would not load.

• PenSmith

Tinkerer

Options
    Not sure what just happened, but through a lot of changing of settings, between native window settings, intel graphics settings, I am now able to get 3840 x 1600 which takes away the stretching.  when I tried this previously, it would give an error.  This helps reduce the fuzziness quite a bit.  I did have to put in a scaling factor, but not it looks much better.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>The manual says display is 3840x1600 at 75hz.>>>>>>Not sure of the question. >>>>>>>looks much better. >>>

Congratulations. That's a native resolution for the new monitor. Keep playing around with it.

As for my question on Lenovo's video output port,  its connection to the display is usually with an hdmi cable from an HDMI port --- or a displayport cable from a displayport port --- or a VGA cable from a VGA port --- or  a DVI cable from a DVI port --- etc. Since the Lenovo model you have came in different video port configurations, it's hard for me to tell what you have without being able to see it.

Jack E/NJ

• PenSmith

Tinkerer

Options
    The laptop has HMDI, it is connected to a docking station which has HDMI as well as displayport.  I tried the displayport initially and had no image.  HDMI works
  • JackE
    Options
    Aye, a docking station is another complication. The DisplayPort usually won't work unless the Lenovo's HDMI port is dual mode, that is, outputs both HDMI signals and DisplayPort signals. I don't think the Lenovo has this capability. You will get the cleanest HDMI signal by connecting the Lenovo directly to the monitor with an HDMI cable instead of the docking station in between.

Jack E/NJ

• PenSmith

Tinkerer

Options
    Funny, after all the playing I did over over the last several days, I finally got it to to about 95% acceptable.  I read what you wrote about the cleaner signal by going directly to the HDMI on the laptop and so I just tried it.  UGH, it pulled the display back to about 1920x1080, everything super huge and very fuzzy.  I went back to the docking station connection and it reverted to the 95% acceptable.