Acer Aspire XC-780 Storage Problem

Options
royturner
royturner Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I last month I increased my C Drive storage of 500GB, using software to move the partition to enable me to use the extra 500GB from the D drive.  However, I have just had a message saying storage is running low and I now find that most of the extra 500GB has been used. It seems that 810GB is being used by Apps and Features - but I only have a very few apps loaded.  I cannot see how to get rid of the items that have filled up the storage.  Can anyone help me?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    The message probably was referring to your RAM memory storage, not your C drive storage. Please post a screenshot of the  message that you see.

Jack E/NJ

• royturner

Tinkerer

Options
    File Explorer Storage definitely shows it as C Drive.
  • JackE
    Options
    That may be so. But I'd still like to see the error message that you got. If you can't reproduce it, press WIN+R. Enter 'diskmgmt.msc'. Please post screenshot of result if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• royturner

Tinkerer

Options
    Attached are screen shots
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry, those are phone shots that I can't clearly see. The top part of the diskmgmt.msc is wiped out by light reflection. That's what I need to  see. Please post a screenshot of diskmgmt.msc using the PrtScn key in  upper right  corner of your keyboard. This will print the image to the clipboard. Then paste it into an image editor like Paint and save it as a JPG file. Then you then attach the JPG image file.

Jack E/NJ

• royturner

Tinkerer

Options
    I have done as you said (never done this before) hopefully this will help you.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I increased my C Drive storage of 500GB, using software to move the partition to enable me to use the extra 500GB from the D drive. >>>

Your original 500GB  D : \ partition must have been almost full. It seems like all the data that was on the D : \ drive was simply merged with what was already on the C  :  \  drive. It probably would've been better to have cleaned the D : \ drive before you merged it. Now you have a bit of housecleaning to do on the C : \ drive. This can be done from FileExplore as long as you can recognize the files that were originally on the D : \ drive partition

Jack E/NJ

• royturner

Tinkerer

Options
    The D drive in early March, before moving the partition was almost totally empty.  I had only moved a couple of items there to try and free up space on the C drive.  After completing the partition move, the computer showed that there was over 500GB free on the C drive.  This has all filled up since that date!  And further more when checking where the storage is it shows that 809GB are stored under Apps & Features.
  • JackE
    Options
    Open File Explore. Click on this PC in left pane. Click on (C : ) partition in left pane. Post a screenshot of resulting panes.

Jack E/NJ

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options
    Do you ever run CCleaner ?
  • royturner

Tinkerer

Options
    Is this the screen print you wanted?  I have used the disc cleaner previously, but this only saved a small amount of space.
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry, no screen print image or file attached.

Jack E/NJ

• royturner

Tinkerer

Options
    Try this. Hope this works.
  • JackE
    Options
    Click on the local disk D folder to see what's in it. If you used a merging tool to merge the old D partition with the C partition, this folder may still contain files that are needed for programs that you may have originally installed on the C :  \  drive. If they are deleted, these programs will no longer run.

Jack E/NJ

• royturner

Tinkerer

Options
    These are files that I moved over to D drive prior to moving the partition.  This was done as at the time my C drive was almost totally full.  They are mainly a group of personal files - no more than about 2GB.  I note that on the 20 April my C drive has 35GB unused - this has now reduced to 22GB.  It just keeps filling up for no apparent reason.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I note that on the 20 April my C drive has 35GB unused - this has now reduced to 22GB.  It just keeps filling up for no apparent reason.>>>

(1) If you have any non-Microsoft virus scanners running in the background, disable or preferably uninstall them.
    (2) Reboot Windows
    (3) Press WIN+R. Enter 'mrt'
    (4) Follow directions for a full scan.This may take several hours.

Jack E/NJ

• royturner

Tinkerer

Options
    I have now fixed the problem.  There was apparently some 785GB of space being taken up in Program Data by my AVAST virus security!!!!.  What a waste of time.  Thanks for your attempts to help.
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks for reporting back. Uninstall don't just disable it. These non-M icros oft scanners are no longer needed by most users. They often cause issues like you discovered. Windows Defender and Mailicious Software Removal tool are all most folks need and they're routinely updated. 

Jack E/NJ

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options
    Wow, thanks for sharing this information. When I  (seldom) clean up a computer. Avast is the 1st one gone and it's part of CCleaners software. ??
    I use Defender along with Malewarebytes Pro to scan daily.
    Most of these FREE Virus Scanners are junk in my opinion.
  • JackE
    Options
    I suggest that you get rid of m al ware by tes as well even if already paid up. Malicious software removal tool (run mrt.exe) can run routine and more serious scans as effectively.

Jack E/NJ