Why my Acer Spin 3 (SP313-51N-70YB). touchscreen not responding to finger touch?

marisalim96
marisalim96 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
Hello :)
I need help. I got touchscreen issues.
My laptop is Acer Spin 3 (SP313-51N-70YB). Purchased in September 2021.

Problem: touchscreen responds only to stylus pen but not finger touch. 

Problem occurred a few days ago.
At first, the left lower side of the screen didn't respond to finger touch (but responded normally to the stylus pen). 
I tried to calibrate it, but only the upper side responded and I could not use finger touch on the bottom part. 

I turned my laptop off and wiped the screen clean. When I tried again, the whole screen didn't respond to finger touch (but responded to pen). I tried to calibrate but this time the upper side is also not responding to finger touch. Now the whole screen doesn't respond to finger touch, only responding to stylus pen. 

I've tried restarting a few times.
Drivers were also updated. I'm using Intel driver and support assistant to check new driver updates. 

I've checked the "HID-compliant touch screen" on Device Manager, I don't notice an issue and it's enabled. 
I've also tried to uninstall "HID-compliant touch screen" and restart, but still not responding to finger touch. 
Here's a screenshoot, because I'm not sure maybe you'll see something wrong with them?
There's a lot of other "HID-compliant" and I don't know the use of them, maybe I need to do something with the others?

I could bring it to the service center but the procedure here is very complicated and takes more than 2 weeks, so it's much better if there's an easy way, maybe I accidentally deleted/disabled something or maybe there's a shortcut on keyboard to disable the finger touch and I accidentally did that, I don't know. 
If I bring it to the service center, they won't find out the problem right away because there's a queue, they won't directly check it when I bring it, they'll only write down my problem and I need to leave after that, that's why it takes more than 2 weeks. 

Maybe there's a simple solution?
Any ideas? or if you know someone / read something who has a similar problem please tell me. 

{ edited the title to add model name } 

Answers

• What version of windows is installed? Does the same issue occur when switching to tablet mode?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • marisalim96
    marisalim96 Member Posts: 4 New User
    What version of windows is installed? Does the same issue occur when switching to tablet mode?

Hi! Thank you for the reply :)
    It's windows 11.
    And yes, this problem also occurs in tablet mode. 

Also, I can't find the settings like in your screenshot. Mine look's like this:

But when I searched for "tablet" there's this and when I click it, it show's that (as shown in my screenshot). I don't know if it's relatable. 

• OK! First, try reinstalling windows 11, pressing alt+f10 before the acer logo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA&list=FLVBqwtBw09_Z9tXo1Injakw&index=2
    Then let me know if the problem persists.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru

Go to "Control Panel" and then "Device Manager". Select the "Monitors" section and right click on your monitor. Check the information for the touch screen and make sure it is "enabled".
  • ctmaisarah
    ctmaisarah Member Posts: 6 New User
    Hi. I have tried all the above solutions by egydiocoelho and Easwar, but my touchscreen still doesn't work. I do have the same problem as marisalim96 with the same laptop type and around the same purchase date. My laptop is Acer Spin 3 (SP313-51N).
    Any other suggestions to solve it? 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,657 Trailblazer
    The touchscreen uses an internal USB port to connect to the motherboard. If the drivers for that port get confused the OS thinks there is no touch screen connected. Sometimes you can fix it by reinstalling the chipset drivers, sometimes by reinstalling the USB hub drivers and sometimes it just fixes itself.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ctmaisarah
    billsey said:
    The touchscreen uses an internal USB port to connect to the motherboard. If the drivers for that port get confused the OS thinks there is no touch screen connected. Sometimes you can fix it by reinstalling the chipset drivers, sometimes by reinstalling the USB hub drivers and sometimes it just fixes itself.
    Thank you for your response. It is good input. I have tried your suggestions by reinstalling the chipset and USB hub drivers, but it seems like the problem persists. 
  • Does the same problem occur, when you reinstall windows, pressing alt+f10 before the acer logo?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ctmaisarah
    Does the same problem occur, when you reinstall windows, pressing alt+f10 before the acer logo?

I reinstall windows through the Settings - Reset This PC. I choose to reset and remove everything. Is this not the same as the one you suggest? The same problem does occur through my method.
  • billsey
    Nope, that is quite a bit different than the Alt-F10 process. The method you used replaces the Acer image with a generic Microsoft Windows build, with none of Acer's drivers, utilities or apps. When you do the Alt-F10 reset it reinstalls the Acer specific build that came original with the machine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ctmaisarah
    billsey said:
    Nope, that is quite a bit different than the Alt-F10 process. The method you used replaces the Acer image with a generic Microsoft Windows build, with none of Acer's drivers, utilities or apps. When you do the Alt-F10 reset it reinstalls the Acer specific build that came original with the machine.
    Ohh ok, I thought it was the same thing. Thanks for your response. I will try the suggested method. I will get back to you about the result soon.
  • ctmaisarah
    billsey said:
    I had tried your method and the touchscreen still does not work. Using that Alt-F10 process, I have selected remove everything, reinstall windows from the local drive (Local Reinstall) and lastly, fully clean the drive. From what I noticed is that the method is similar to the method I have used before which was using Reset PC in the settings. But the weird thing is that both methods reinstall Windows 11, not Windows 10 which is actually the original windows that came with the laptop.
  • ctmaisarah
    billsey said:
    I had tried your method and the touchscreen still does not work. Using that Alt-F10 process, I have selected remove everything, reinstall windows from the local drive (Local Reinstall) and lastly, fully clean the drive. From what I noticed is that the method is similar to the method I have used before which was using Reset PC in the settings. But the weird thing is that both methods reinstall Windows 11, not Windows 10 which is actually the original windows that came with the laptop.
    Not local drive, just local.
  • billsey
    It sounds as if the generic install wiped the Acer specific recovery image and replaced it with the vanilla Windows 11 image. Unless you made the backup image to a flash drive you won't be able to get the Acer version reinstalled without buying the recovery media from Acer. :( So... We need to try and get the Acer drivers back on in replacement of the Windows update drivers, then let Windows update do it's thing again but with proper settings. The first drivers to try are the chipset drivers and the serial IO drivers. Use the Windows 11 versions from the Acer support site after uninstalling the pieces you can figure out from Device Manager.
  • I would try to use iobit's driverbooster, so that the program finds the drivers and installs.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• FredoT
    FredoT Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hi! May I ask if you have successfully resolved this issue? If yes, what are the troubleshooting steps that helped to make it work?

Actually, I have the same issue on the touchscreen with the Acer Spin 3 (SP313-51N) which I bought a few months back. The issue started when I did the OS update for Windows 11. I have done all the troubleshooting steps mentioned above and other possible solutions I found on the internet (Forums, Youtube, etc..) but still getting the same issue.

Hope someone can help. 🙏

• billsey

You would likely get better results by starting a new thread for your issue instead of adding to one that's well over a year old. Include your full model number (SP313-51N-xxxx, but what you gave is likely enough), what you are seeing and what you have tried so far. Perhaps with a screenshot of Device Manager with anything suspect showing.

• FredoT
    FredoT Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hi. Thank you for responding to my above query.

Actually, I have created my own post thread regarding this issue, but I haven't found any clear answer yet. So I'm trying my luck checking other thread re' the said issue. However, it seems like I'm only getting the same answers to above thread.

Btw, see below my own post for the said issue.