Acer C721 Series Chromebook Keyboard Issues?

Timothypc
Timothypc Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2022 in Chromebooks
Hello! I work at a school and we have quite a few of these. After a little over a year, a handful of them have issues with the keyboard.
1-4, 7-0, up and right arrow keys don't work.

Had about 6 in the past 2-3 months pop up with this issue and a couple more at another school in the area.
Tried restarting, powerwashing, and reseating cable.

Just wondering if this is a known issue and if others are experiencing this?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Not too many keyboard issues. Here's one link as an example with some suggestions. A more frequently reported issue was swollen battery packs causing deformations around the top cover.. Check to see if the affected keyboards or touchpads appear to be deformed upward relative to  laptops that are still OK.

Jack E/NJ

• Jeyam
    Jeyam Member Posts: 348 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Timothypc

If your Chromebook keyboard is unresponsive, restart your laptop, and log in as a guest user. Additionally, press the Refresh and Power keys to reset your Chromebook hardware. If the issue persists, powerwash your device and contact its manufacturer for further help.

• JackE
    Not too many keyboard issues. Here's one link as an example with some suggestions. A more frequently reported issue was swollen battery packs causing deformations around the top cover.. Check to see if the affected keyboards or touchpads appear to be deformed upward relative to  laptops that are still OK.

Jack E/NJ

• bet3
    bet3 Member Posts: 2 New User
    @Timothypc

I am also at a school district and have had the same issue. After doing factory resets and other troubleshooting methods nothing seemed to work. I initially thought it might be the keyboard being damaged so I ordered keyboard replacements which seemed to work most of the year until now when the same issue started happening to the replacements. When I unscrew the bottom plate and move the battery out of its placement, the keys work just fine, but as soon as I reintroduce the battery with the pressure of the backplate screwed on, the specific number keys 1-4 and 7-0 stop working. If you have found a fix that would be extremely helpful since I have easily over 20 Chromebooks with that issue. The only temporary fix that seemed to work is taking the ribbon of the keyboard (since it is quite long), essentially folding the access in on itself, and then placing the battery back on. 
  • JackE
    bet3Thanks for tip. Folks usually complain that the ribbons are too short and thus hard to keep inserted their mainboard socket when re-assembling.  Now sounds like they're too long instead of being just right. :)

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Is there any chance the batteries are starting to bulge? They should be flat on the surfaces.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bet3
    bet3 Member Posts: 2 New User
    @billsey I have checked and there is no bulging occurring on the battery