Aspire XC-1660G upgrades

Thorn822
Thorn822 Member Posts: 2 New User
I recently picked up this desktop from a yard sale and wondered if I am able to upgrade the GPU and CPU, if so what can I put in it? Looking to turn this into a gaming computer for MMOs if possible. Thank you in advance.

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,178 Pathfinder
    @Thorn822

Instead of spending money on upgrading the cpu and gpu to make it as gaming computer i suggest you to get a brand new gaming computer.  

We are glad that you are showing up your interest in a gaming computer. 

Please visit the website – support.acer.com – chose your country – click on shop.   It will show you all the latest and new computers.    You can see all the models from low end to high end configurations.   You can look at all the models one by one.   Please chose the best one which suits your budget and needs.   You can also buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories. 

Alternatively,  on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.   If you need more details you can call and check with them.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Thorn822
    Thorn822 Member Posts: 2 New User
    @Thorn822

Instead of spending money on upgrading the cpu and gpu to make it as gaming computer i suggest you to get a brand new gaming computer.  

We are glad that you are showing up your interest in a gaming computer. 

Please visit the website – support.acer.com – chose your country – click on shop.   It will show you all the latest and new computers.    You can see all the models from low end to high end configurations.   You can look at all the models one by one.   Please chose the best one which suits your budget and needs.   You can also buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories. 

Alternatively,  on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.   If you need more details you can call and check with them.

I wanted to use this model to start teaching my son what can be upgraded and how to do so. That is really my number one reason for asking what can be upgraded and such. If I can at least use it as a teaching platform I would like to do so.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Great score at the garage sale, usually what you find at those are systems that are ten years old. :)
    There are a number of upgrades you can do to the Aspire XC-1660G models, but suggestions as to which are best really means we need to know more about yours. They have dozens of different SKUs all with different specs. Take a look at the sticker than has the SN and SNID and give us the full model number. It should be something like Aspire XC-1660G-xxxx. Also use a utility like System Information in Windows to get us the CPU, amount of memory, drives installed and such.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Thorn822

It is surprise to see an one year old PC appeared in a yard sale.

There were similar discussions on this topic, but for a XC-1660G-UW93. Only the UW93 sub-model uses 11th gen Intel CPU. Even models using i5-10400 is still a decent processor in today's standard. Don't see the need for a CPU upgrade.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/648593/any-ways-to-customize-an-aspire-xc-1660g-uw93

The XC-1660G models were not designed to be a gaming machine, but reasonable for light duty gaming. There is only one PC case fan slot and the CPU runs rather hot with the stock CPU cooler. It is considered a small form factor machine with rather compact components inside, not so good for ventilation.

The PSU is a 12 volt only, currently still hard to find from the open market and expensive, and maximum is 500W if you want to change it. Any graphics card demanding higher than 500W cannot be used there.

As discussed in the link above, I felt that the most meaningful upgrade will be the RAM.