Any ways to customize an Aspire XC-1660G-UW93?

Options
Luka_Knight
Luka_Knight Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I just bought this computer and I'm wondering if there are any parts I can slowly replace/add? Maybe new motherboard, drives, Ram, even a graphics card? I appreciate the help!

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Luka_Knight

Why are you thinking of upgrade right after you bought this really new and advanced PC? You haven't determined your need before buying? Some manufacturers such as Dell Inspiron line of products have no 11th gen Intel CPU desktops yet.

It has 11th gen Intel CPU, Wi-Fi 6 , 500GB NVMe SSD, 8GB RAM.
    If you don't use it to play the most demanding games or doing heavy video editing, it should be O.K. with the Intel UHD 730 graphics.
    In my opinion, it is already a good enough PC for most people.

My suggestion is just use it as is until you feel the NEED of upgrade arise ( I really doubt it, for the short term). If you are a heavy gamer, then it is another matter.

The most meaningful upgrade may be the RAM. If you currently have a one stick RAM of 8 GB, then you may add another stick of 8 GB to enable the dual channel performance and getting 16GB.
  • Luka_Knight
    Luka_Knight Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Well I'm just planning ahead. Ya know getting a potential list of components ready and saving money for updating later. That's why I'm asking. Money for me is hard to come by. This even took me too long to purchase. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Sure, there are plenty of upgrades possible, though a couple are a little tougher. Depending on the drives you currently have, you can put in a bigger M.2 SSD and a couple of HDDs/SSDs using the SATA ports. The latter require a power cable off the MB, which I believe was included in the box. You can also upgrade the memory. You have places for two DDR4 2933 MHz DIMMs, they can be up to 32GB in size each, so maximum of 64GB of memory. Depending on the CPU installed you can bump it up within the Comet Lake-S and Rocket Lake CPUs. Make sure the power is the same so you don't have to revamp the cooling system. Depending on which GPU you have you might be able to upgrade that, but only with other GPUs with the same power budget, a higher power GPU requires a higher power PSU, and the ATX12VO PSUs on the secondary market are very few.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @Luka_Knight and @billsey

I do envy you for getting such a good PC at the price close to my TC-885-UA91 that I got last year. The CPU performance alone is more than double and getting close to tripling to my i3-9100 CPU. My recent self-built PC using i5-11500 is just a little faster than your i5-11400. What you plan to upgrade today may not be the best upgrade in the future when the NEED arise, because technologies advance everyday.

Since your XC-1660G is using 11th generation Intel CPU, there is very good chance that it is using a PCIe 4.0 motherboard.
    Acer introduced this PC at entry level price, then I'll presume Acer just gave you PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD.  How about running Crystal Disk Info program to check out if the seq. read is close to 3,400 MB/s?
    If the motherboard is really PCIe 4.0, then it is possible to use gen 4 M.2 NVMe SSD such as WD SN850 and Samsung 980 Pro or Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus, doubling the seq. read speed close to 7,000 MB/s.

BTW, I just made recommendation to one of my friends to buy this XC-1660G-UW93 (wasn't aware of such model until reading your thread, Amazon doesn't have it yet).

@billsy, if I am not mistaken, I believe the spec from the Acer site says 32GB max.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/DT.BH7AA.002
  • billsey
    Options
    Specs in the SG say:
    Memory
    • Support DDR4 2933 MHz SDRAM with Dual-channel architecture
    • Accommodates two un-buffered DIMMs
    • Up to 32GB per DIMM with maximum memory size up to 64 GB
    Specs don't say which version the PCIe busses are, but does say the chipset is an Intel® B560 Chipset.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • calboogie
    calboogie Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hello: I have an Aspire XC1660G-UW93 which I purchased for my wife. I would like to increase the storage to 1TB using a M.2 SSD. When I took the case cover off I did not see a port for an M.2 SSD. What I thought I saw was a 512MB 2.5 PCI/SATA SSD in the small drive rack. Could the drive rack be hiding the M.2 port? I have always appreciated info. Could you help me here?
  • ttttt
    Options
    @calboogie

I had answered a similar question for a different model a couple days ago.

Even though it was for a TC-886 having different kind of power supply unit, the general procedures for M.2 NVMe SSD should be similar. Please refer to this link:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/1099880#Comment_1099880

The M.2 drive slot is probably partially hiding below the optical drive (if you have the CD/DVD drive installed).
  • billsey
    Options
    Here's the MB layout on the TC-1660 models, the SSD slot is #8:

• JasonStern
    JasonStern Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    The XC-1660G-UW93 is a budget oriented PC. And while a great bang-for-the-buck, upgrades are fairly limited.

The must-have is to add an additional 8GB DDR4 2933MHz stick. This will allow the PC to run with dual-channel memory. The PC will support 32GB, but at current RAM prices discarding the existing 8GB stick would negate a budget minded build.

The compact case makes graphics options difficult. Any compact ATX12V power supply unit (PSU) is going to make the XC-1660G-UW93 not cost effective. And even if you could find a cheap PSU, the narrow case prohibits use of upper tier GPUS. You're looking at compact nVidia GTX 1650 or 1050Ti on the high end, and something like a AMD Radeon RX560 on the more budget-friendly tier.

The Western Digital PC SN530 NVMe SSD is mid-range. If you wanted to throw money at a higher end Samsung m.2 drive, you could and the system would benefit. But again, you're negating the budget nature of the XC-1660G-UW93.

SATA connectors exist. You can add an additional SATA storage device without needing any other adapters than the data cable. But mounting it properly is quite tricky due to how the power cable is designed. Fortunately, SATA power cable splitters/extenders are cheap to help address that. With a splitter, you could potentially add two drives. But again, mounting becomes a bit tricky. Might be worth considering if you have drives lying around or have high storage needs.

The last non-USB path for upgrading is the PCIe 1x slot. There isn't a lot you can do here. If you use a lot of USB peripherals, then the port is probably best used adding additional USB ports. If you're a gamer, you could go the capture card route. Personally, I went with a cheap m.2 adapter and stuck a cheap 16GB Intel Optane drive on that I use as a dedicated page file drive. The 1x channel bottlenecks it, but having that entire channel/drive dedicated to working as a page file helps offset that to some extent.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @JasonStern

As you may not be aware that it is easy to mount 2.5" SATA3 SSD/HDD to the big piece of metallic HDD tray/plate. Mounting it to the back side. The power cable from the motherboard may not be too easy to find but available ( assuming that you do not have additional power connectors). A typical 8" SATA3 data cable is easy to find and maybe already included in the package when shipped.

Also, why bother with 16GB Intel Optane drive when you can use PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD? Optane memory is inferior to NVMe SSD in almost all aspects.
  • JasonStern
    JasonStern Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    I used the Optane drive on the 1x PCIe expansion port, which is inherently limited to 1GB/s transfer speeds. A faster drive would be useless. But Optane does excel at random read/write latency, which makes it ideal (given 16GB drives can be had for $8 shipped on eBay and the 1x PCIe port was going to be unused otherwise) as a dedicated page file drive. Helps reduce O/S reads/writes to the primary m.2 drive. 16GB of RAM is sufficient for most of my PC use, so I suspect the page file rarely gets used anyway.

Correctly mounting an additional SATA drive is easy if you spend the $2-4 for proper length cables. If you try to use the base cables, you'll need to either MacGyver a mount or disconnect the DVD drive.
  • Johnsd1gamer
    Johnsd1gamer Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I just bought this computer and I'm wondering if there are any parts I can slowly replace/add? Maybe new motherboard, drives, Ram, even a graphics card? I appreciate the help!
    Can I remove the cpu and put it into a new motherboard so I can turn into a gaming pc?
  • ttttt
    Options
    @Johnsd1gamer

Only if your intended new motherboard will support 11th generation Intel CPU, typically B560 or B660 chipset boards with LGA 1200 socket.
  • rockdude
    rockdude Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    The problem I'm having is that something is not letting me use a two screen hdmi hookup.
  • billsey
    Options
    What do you mean by a "two screen HDMI hookup"? You need two HDMI ports to host two screens.