where are the m.2 slots on the acer tc 886 I found the one with WIFI card

Options
Waldowtf
Waldowtf Member Posts: 4 New User
Hi
I'm looking for the m.2 slots on the acer tc886 MB I found one that has the wifi card in it but I've read there are supposed to be two. I'd like to install a nvme pcie ssd

Best Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Waldowtf

@Steven provided the motherboard diagram and you can see it is the #8.

I want to add a little here. 
    If you have the big piece of HDD plate removes and you view from the rear side to the front panel side, you cann only see part of the M.2 NVMe SSD (if it is already installed) or just the M.2 slot connector.

To have full access of this M.2 slot, you need to remove the optical drive. The prerequisites for that will be to remove the front panel and the HDD plate.

Without going through the details, you can search TC-886 or TC-885 from Youtube after entering the Acer Support Videos from right pane here. I am sure you can find TC-886 or TC-885 PC takedowns there.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Waldowtf

I am glad that you accepted the answer and you are welcome.

This time I am sorry to tell you that the TC-886 will not support XMP memory overclock.
    If the motherboard supports XMP, there will be an option to enable XMP in the BIOS, as you have checked that already.

Using XMP RAM to a motherboard without XMP support will cause the RAM running at the base speed of the motherboard, probably about 2133 MHz or 1933 MHz.

If you want to use NVMe SSD, I'll suggest getting a high end one (3,400 MB/s read), and don't forget to get a heat sink for it to prevent thermal throttling.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,006 Trailblazer
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Waldowtf said:
    Hi
    I'm looking for the m.2 slots on the acer tc886 MB I found one that has the wifi card in it but I've read there are supposed to be two. I'd like to install a nvme pcie ssd
    Here WaldowtfI'm including a full detailed diagram for the TC-886 mobo and its appropriate connections, if you look at the top right hand corner of the caption that I've included at No8 is where you can connect the "M2_2 - M.2 (2280&2242) slot (for PCIE SSD & Intel Optane memory)" for the TC-886, btw the WLAN/BT M.2 slot that you are talking about is at No18. Also the NVMe M.2 drive that Acer fitted to the TC-886 was the 512GB "SDAPNUW-512G-1014 - Acer part No: KN.5120D.004" so you can get a gauge of what you need to fit into this M.2 slot as it depends on the format what size M.2 you can use with Windows e.g. MBR/Legacy format up to 2TB drive and GUID (GPT) over 2TB and up drives. 

• ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Waldowtf

@Steven provided the motherboard diagram and you can see it is the #8.

I want to add a little here. 
    If you have the big piece of HDD plate removes and you view from the rear side to the front panel side, you cann only see part of the M.2 NVMe SSD (if it is already installed) or just the M.2 slot connector.

To have full access of this M.2 slot, you need to remove the optical drive. The prerequisites for that will be to remove the front panel and the HDD plate.

Without going through the details, you can search TC-886 or TC-885 from Youtube after entering the Acer Support Videos from right pane here. I am sure you can find TC-886 or TC-885 PC takedowns there.
  • Waldowtf
    Options
    Hey sorry it has taken so long to respond. Thanks for the info very helpful, no wonder I couldn't find the slot. BTW do you know if this mobo supports XMP I cant find anything about it in the BIOS.
    Thanks again
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Waldowtf

I am glad that you accepted the answer and you are welcome.

This time I am sorry to tell you that the TC-886 will not support XMP memory overclock.
    If the motherboard supports XMP, there will be an option to enable XMP in the BIOS, as you have checked that already.

Using XMP RAM to a motherboard without XMP support will cause the RAM running at the base speed of the motherboard, probably about 2133 MHz or 1933 MHz.

If you want to use NVMe SSD, I'll suggest getting a high end one (3,400 MB/s read), and don't forget to get a heat sink for it to prevent thermal throttling.
  • Waldowtf
    Options
    Thanks so much for the update I have already tried a set of corsair vengence 2x8gig 2666 ram and it ran at 1033 instead of 1333 so I returned it and bought a 8gig stick of 2666 ram not the fancy one with multi colored heatsinks and it runs fine at 1333 so I guess the ones with heatsinks built in must be overclocked as soon as you install them (if you had xmp) I also bought a Gammix S11 Pro 1 TB ssd works great much faster than the old HDD.
    Thanks