Acer Aspire TC-1660: Which CPU Fan/Heatsink will fit on the mainboard?

Options
simone_gärtner
simone_gärtner Member Posts: 2 New User
Has anyone successfully replaced the CPU Fan or the heatsink on the Acer Aspire TC-1660 original mainboard?

I have attempted to replace the stock heatsink with the Noctua low-profile one, and also the generic one from Thermaltake, but both physically wouldn't fit on the mainboard. When aligning the heatsink with the screw holes, there is a small box-shaped component on the mainboard right next to the CPU socket that physically blocks the heatsinks away from the CPU socket (either blocking the heat grills, or blocking the X-shaped clamp on the heatsink base). 

I would like to replace the very noisy stock CPU fan that comes with the unit, but the stock heatsink seems to have a special shape that none of my replacement CPU fans (Noctua, Thermaltake) would fit. Did anyone successfully manage to install a replacement CPU fan?

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @simone_gärtner

Even though this is not the exact answer to you current answer, but solved the underlying problem -- the noisy fan.

Check this out:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/657201/cpu-fan-noise-aspire-tc-1660

Can you take some pictures and attach here showing which spot is preventing you from changing to a new CPU fan?

Do you just want to change the fan only and not the whole CPU cooler?
  • ttttt
    Options

I mean "Even though this is not the exact answer to you current QUESTION".
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options
    The stock fan is a 92*92*45.4mm size, the socket is an LGA1200. I'd think you could replace the fan itself without needing to replace the heatsink, and the heatsink is likely what is causing the interference to the fit.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • simone_gärtner
    simone_gärtner Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

>Can you take some pictures and attach here showing which spot is preventing you from changing to a new CPU fan?

The attached pictures show the problem with mounting CPU heatsinks: When trying to align the heatsink with the mounting holes (yellow arrows), the box-shaped components (red arrows) will block either the heatsink's mounting clamp, or the heatsink itself in case it doesn't leave enough cleanance (like the Noctua low profile cooler heatsink).

>The stock fan is a 92*92*45.4mm size, the socket is an LGA1200. I'd think you could replace the fan itself without needing to replace the heatsink

I am fine with only replacing the CPU fan.  Can you recommend one that will fit the heat sink and play nice with the mainboard's speed controls? I'm worried about the fit, since the original fan appears to have a twisted design:

https://www.ipc-computer.de/largeimage/Acer-Aspire--XC-705--Original-CPU-L--fter-inkl--K--hler-65W-TDP-Sockel--1150-1150--pId-72053339.jpg

while standard fans look slightly different:

https://thermaltake.azureedge.net/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/6bf0ed99c663954fafc930039201ed07/db/imgs/pdt/angle/CLP0556-D_004bfdaa71114006826d54e3675e75e0.jpg
    https://cdn.idealo.com/folder/Product/4629/4/4629478/s2_produktbild_gross/xilence-i200.jpg

Kind Regards
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options
    The original fan is not twisted at all, it's just round with staggered mounting holes between the top and bottom. Have you looked at the Noctua that most of the gamer folks here are putting in the Predators?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @simone_gärtner

Seemed only the stock heat sink has enough clearance for a good fit. If you want to replace the whole CPU cooler, the heat sink clearance should be another factor to be considered.

If just want to replace the CPU fan alone, then a 92 x 92 mm one will do.
  • ChrisIngram
    ChrisIngram Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, I recently purchase ACER Aspire TC-1660 I7-11700 and found the fan to be unacceptably noisy. Having had little success with the supplier I decided to replace the fan. This may invalidate the warranty but I don't see why it should. Nevertheless I can't recommend this approach, just say what I did. Have a look at this video: Installing CPU Cooler (Noctua NH-L9x65) on HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0073w - YouTube. This approach works perfectly with the ACER Aspite TC-1660 - but note that the mounting screws required are M3 12mm not M2 (UK). The fan is available on Amazon: 

Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (65mm, Brown)

Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (65mm, Brown) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Well worth the £50. Fitting is easy if you follow the youtube. Turn the machine on and ... silence.

I've never heard anything like the supplied fan - apalling. Not up to the job, but other than that the machine is a nice reasonably priced machine. Easy to upgrade memory and add another SDD if required.

I also removed norton Anti Vrus which was exacerbating the noise issue. Turned on MS Defender, aalthough there is then an issue with the settings page which needs a patch (info easily found on web for this).

I have had Acers in the past and they are reliable, but more recently have had Dell's. Was initially inclined to return this Acer Aspire but now I happy with it. I put it under quite a lot of stress and the noise level is negligible as a Dektop computer should be.

Hope this helps

• ChrisIngram
    ChrisIngram Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, I recently purchase ACER Aspire TC-1660 I7-11700 and found the fan to be unacceptably noisy. Having had little success with the supplier I decided to replace the fan. This may invalidate the warranty but I don't see why it should. Nevertheless I can't recommend this approach, just say what I did. Have a look at this video: Installing CPU Cooler (Noctua NH-L9x65) on HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0073w - YouTube. This approach works perfectly with the ACER Aspite TC-1660 - but note that the mounting screws required are M3 12mm not M2 (UK). The fan is available on Amazon: 

Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (65mm, Brown)

Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (65mm, Brown) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Well worth the £50. Fitting is easy if you follow the youtube. Turn the machine on and ... silence.

I've never heard anything like the supplied fan - apalling. Not up to the job, but other than that the machine is a nice reasonably priced machine. Easy to upgrade memory and add another SDD if required.

I also removed norton Anti Vrus which was exacerbating the noise issue. Turned on MS Defender, aalthough there is then an issue with the settings page which needs a patch (info easily found on web for this).

I have had Acers in the past and they are reliable, but more recently have had Dell's. Was initially inclined to return this Acer Aspire but now I happy with it. I put it under quite a lot of stress and the noise level is negligible as a Dektop computer should be.

Hope this helps

• sl2365
    sl2365 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I've been looking for a way to sort this issue out, but before I'd seen this post, I had ordered more RAM via Crucial.

That has for the most part quietened the Fan considerably. I paid £52 for 16GB of RAM and no messing about with removal of the Fan and Heatsink. It's a simple upgrade, though not as effective, but useful for those wanting a quieter system with less risk or hassle.

The Fan can and does still get loud, but is far less often and I use my PC for Music Production, which can sometimes be intense, so a quiet Fan is a MUST!
    I may still get this Noctua Fan though just to finish off the upgrade of this system! ;)

Thanks for the tips ChrisIngram, very much appreciated.:)