CPU Fan noise and very loud. The sound level is around 30dB Aspire TC-1660

Options
TerrySanderson
TerrySanderson Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi
Just received a new Aspire TC-1660 Model D17E5 with i5 11400F CPU and find the CPU fan to be very loud. The sound level is around 30dB when not doing anything and going up to around 50 when stressing CPU with Cinebench R23. CPU RPM between 830 and 4591

Is this normal for this model?

Thanks

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add   issue  detail]

Best Answer

• Dave600
    Dave600 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    on my xc-1660 i reduced the max processor state in power options and it stopped the fan running

drop the min processor state to 5% (acer setting is 100% but 5% is normal)

I dropped the max state to 75% and no fan noise

just increased it to 80% still no noise, and for me no noticeable loss of performance

easy and free fix if you are not a gamer

The stock intel fan is known to be noisy at Full speed :/

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Tough call, the model is new enough that we haven't seen a ton of feedback. In the BIOS; Advanced; PC Health Status there is an option for Smart Fan. Try toggling that to see how the fan behavior changes.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @TerrySanderson

WOW! A 50db noise level will drive me nut. Don't think Acer's warranty will cover noisy fan. Are you sure it is the CPU fan and not the graphics card fan(s) that is the culprit?

If it is my PC, I'll get an overdesigned CPU cooler, check the noise rating before buying it.

For my i5-11500 CPU ( just 65W TDP) PC, I applied an Enermax ETS-T40F-TB (200W TDP) instead of the stock CPU cooler whereas the temperature and noise level are just fine. Don't try this one as it may be too big for your TC-1660 case ( you can try get some with 125W TDP fans, those for Intel CPUs only, having just those four thumb screws, not for AMD CPUs).
  • TerrySanderson

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for your input billsey & ttttt

I was in the BIOS to see if there was anythink which could be of help, but must admit, didnt notice anything about Smart Fan, I'll take a look again to make sure though.

It is certainly the CPU fan, I've had the cabinet open and can lightly apply pressure on top of fan to reduce RPM, which reduces noise as expected.

I'm using my mobile to test dB so that can obviously be giving a false reading, but no matter what, it would also drive me nuts if I had to listen to the max noise all the time. I've had a number of PC's over the years, and this is easily the most noisy. Probably end up having to get another fan, but would that void the warranty?
  • ttttt
    Options
    @TerrySanderson

For my Acer desktop ( not the i5-11500), there are two options, either to disable Smart fan. When Smart Fan is disabled, the CPU fan will run at full speed all the time and will be noisy ( I guess that is not what you want). With smart fan enabled, it should change speed according to CPU temperature ( I believe that is your TC-1660's current setting).

Replacing CPU with another CPU fan probably will void the warranty.

I believe you may want to contact Acer about your condition, and hopefully they will repaste the thermal paste and reseat the CPU fan for possibly an improved condition for the fan noise.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @TerrySanderson

We have different PC and most likely different BIOS.
    For my Acer desktop,  the Smart Fan option is under the PC Health Status of the Advance tab.

Maybe you can explore the BIOS more and find it.
  • Lemmik
    Lemmik Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I had the same issue with my recently bought tc-1660 i5 11400 gtx1650 desktop. The processor fan got frequently loud even though i didn't use it intensivly.
  • TerrySanderson

Tinkerer

Options

Lemmik said:
    I had the same issue with my recently bought tc-1660 i5 11400 gtx1650 desktop. The processor fan got frequently loud even though i didn't use it intensivly.
    so how did you solve the problem?
  • Lemmik
    Lemmik Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I decided to cancel & return while it was still possible. I did not want to take the risk that i could not fix it. A pity, as i think the computer has
    great specs compared to the price.
  • ThijsNL
    ThijsNL Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Interesting. I have exactly the same issue. I bought a TC-1660 (i7 11700) but it was way too noisy. Even when not doing anything. I thought there was something wrong with this specific piece of hardware so I returned it and got a new one, the same model. And believe it or not... the noise is even worse! No joke!

I really want to fix it because I really like all the other specs and performance of this desktop. But I haven't found a solution yet, so I'm planning to return it again and probably will get a complete different desktop (probably different vendor as well). It seems that there is a problem with this model, Acer can you please help us?
  • ttttt
    Options
    @ThijsNL, @Lemmik and @TerrySanderson

Before I build my i5-11500 CPU last year I did some research and was aware that some 11xxx series CPU (including my i5-11500) will run hot, thus the CPU fan will work hard and get noisy. 

When I build my PC, just by looking at the materials and the design, I did not bother to install the stock CPU fan and use a third party CPU cooler instead, as I mentioned in earlier posts.

Since you guys bought the PCs as pre-builts, probably will expect the PCs working as is and don't bother to replace the CPU cooler.
    Otherwise, replacing the CPU cooler can be the solution, but that will void the warranty. @ThijsNL, if you want to fix it, you can try.
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Options
    Hi @ThijsNL,

We are extremely sorry to hear on what happened.

I would really recommend you to contact Acer support in your region. I'm positive, they would provide a solution.

Link: Contact opnemen met Acer | Snelle technische ondersteuning en klantenservice

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel
  • TerrySanderson

Tinkerer

Options
    Acer-Samuel How about answering my question?
    "....Is this normal for this model?"

• Dave600
    Dave600 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    on my xc-1660 i reduced the max processor state in power options and it stopped the fan running

drop the min processor state to 5% (acer setting is 100% but 5% is normal)

I dropped the max state to 75% and no fan noise

just increased it to 80% still no noise, and for me no noticeable loss of performance

easy and free fix if you are not a gamer

The stock intel fan is known to be noisy at Full speed :/

• TerrySanderson

Tinkerer

Options
    Dave600 Thanks for your suggestion. With normal use its not really bad. I'm hoping to try out MS Flight sim over the next few days and see how that is as regards to noise levels, and maybe dropping max. state a little if necessary. If not I'll probably end up getting a new fan.

I'll also accept your suggestion as an answer, so we can close the question, thanks fo rall the input here guys

• joseph123
    joseph123 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    when the cpus are old then fan of cpus are jam then the noise are arise from the cpus 
  • TerrySanderson

Tinkerer

Options
    joseph123 said:
    when the cpus are old then fan of cpus are jam then the noise are arise from the cpus 

Thanks for input, but if you read original question, this is a new PC.
  • Radiotelegrafisten
    Radiotelegrafisten Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    ThijsNL said:
    Interesting. I have exactly the same issue. I bought a TC-1660 (i7 11700) but it was way too noisy. Even when not doing anything. I thought there was something wrong with this specific piece of hardware so I returned it and got a new one, the same model. And believe it or not... the noise is even worse! No joke!

I really want to fix it because I really like all the other specs and performance of this desktop. But I haven't found a solution yet, so I'm planning to return it again and probably will get a complete different desktop (probably different vendor as well). It seems that there is a problem with this model, Acer can you please help us?
    I have XC1660 and it behaves the same way as yours! Return it to Acer doesn´t seem to be a good idea! HELLO ACER WHAT CAN WE DO?
  • CFW
    CFW Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I had the same problem.
    Solution that seems to work:
    RUN  powercfg.cpl
    chose Energyplan (Energiebeheerschema)
    chose Acer change plan (schema-instelling wijzigen)
    chose advanced
    choose Energysetting processor (Energiebeheer voor processor)
    set Min Processor status op bv 50%
    set Max Processor status op bv 80%

In my case problem seems to be solved
  • ChrisIngram
    ChrisIngram Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, with respect I think some of the solutions are simply treating the symptoms. The real problem is that the FAN IS UNACCEPTABLY NOISY and Acer and its suppliers need to acknowledge this. Perhaps a cost cutting exercise as the machine is well priced for the spec apart from the CPU fan/cooler??

I've never heard anything like it and would suggest you DON'T try turning off smart fan in the BIOS unless you want a washing machine doing a spin cycle sitting on your desktop!

See this:
    Acer Aspire TC-1660: Which CPU Fan/Heatsink will fit on the mainboard? — Acer Community

• ChrisIngram
    ChrisIngram Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    As the Post I referenced previously is marked as Answered, I'm not sure my comment has registered - so here it is:

Hi, I recently purchased ACER Aspire TC-1660 I7-11700 and found the fan to be unacceptably noisy. Having had little success with the supplier I decided to replace the fan. This may invalidate the warranty but I don't see why it should. Nevertheless I can't recommend this approach, just say what I did. Have a look at this video: Installing CPU Cooler (Noctua NH-L9x65) on HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0073w - YouTube. This approach works perfectly with the ACER Aspite TC-1660 - but note that the mounting screws required are M3 12mm not M2 (UK). The fan is available on Amazon: 

Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (65mm, Brown)

Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (65mm, Brown) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Well worth the £50. Fitting is easy if you follow the youtube. Turn the machine on and ... silence.

I've never heard anything like the supplied fan - apalling. Not up to the job, but other than that the machine is a nice reasonably priced machine. Easy to upgrade memory and add another SSD if required.

I also removed norton Anti Virus which was exacerbating the noise issue. Turned on MS Defender, although there is then an issue with the settings page which needs a patch (info easily found on web for this).

I have had Acers in the past and they are reliable, but more recently have had Dells. Was initially inclined to return this Acer Aspire but now I happy with it. I put it under quite a lot of stress and the noise level is now negligible as a Dektop computer should be.

Hope this helps