Acer Predator Orion PO5-600s - Additional SSD to Easy Swap HDD cage?

Options
Manxie
Manxie Member Posts: 55 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited February 2022 in Predator Desktops
Hi, I've got an ACER Predator Orion PO5-600s and would like to upgrade the amount of SSD storage I've got.  It's currently got a  a 512 GB M.2 SSD module (C:drive)  and a 1 TB HDD (D:drive).  It's running  an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz with 16.0 GB of RAM and on Windows 11 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.  The games are on the Steam Platform.

The PO5-600s has an "Easy Swap HDD cage"  mmo_87900784_1612359408_6867_10833.pdf (icecat.biz)   just underneath the Optical Disc Drive (ODD) and I'm thinking of putting a  1TB Crucial MX500 1 TB CT1000MX500SSD1(Z)-Up to 560 MB/s 3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch, Internal SSD in the Easy Swap HDD cage. 

I've read this post:  Upgrading my Orion 5000 PO5-615 — Acer Community 

Currently, I have Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020  (MSFS) partly on my C:drive (the initial install loader - 50GB) and the rest (the world and aircraft - currently 186 GB) on the 1TB HDD (my D:drive) and I'd like to take the 186 GB of MSFS and put them on the new SSD drive in the Easy Swap HDD Cage.  

Does anyone know if I simply drag the files from my HDD and put them on the new (additional) SSD (I was going to leave the initial install loader where it is on C:drive - the original SSD) or if there is more to it than that?  I assume the game needs to know where to find the files that would have initially been on the D:drive and which have been moved to the new SSD in the Easy Swap HDD cage under the ODD.

Grateful for any advice please.

Many thanks.

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Comments

• Manxie
    Options
    Just to add that I've discovered an unused E:drive that I may be able to transfer the data to, but I'm not sure what it is.  In case it is relevant to this question I've asked a new question at   ACER Predator Orion PO5-600s - Data (E:) empty - is this a useable drive? — Acer Community         

Sorry, but I also suspect this should go under Predator Desktops, rather than Predator Den - can anyone tell me how to move it please?

Many thanks.

Kind regards.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    My impression is you point the MSFS software to where the external data is located. Easiest would be a reinstall using the new SSD as the location, but they might have the ability to change the file pointers in the software. I'd be a bit surprised if they did, since you also need to move the actual files so it's more of a hassle for them to include the function.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Manxie
    Options
    Many thanks billsey.  I've now calculated that "amalgamating" the C: and E: drives and putting the game on the C:drive will use up 73% of the SSD and that will be very close to the maximum 75% that it is recommended that SSDs should be filled to.  My understanding is that any more than this will start to make the SSD run more slowly.   As such (and as the SIM currently has regular and quite large updates every few weeks) I think I'm back to having to put a new 2.5 inch SATA SSD in the Easy Swap HDD cage and going from there.  Having said that, there is no reason why I can't do as you suggest and expand the C:drive for future and additional use.  Thanks again.

Reply copied to ACER Predator Orion PO5-600s - Data (E:) empty - is this a useable drive?   thread.