Aspire XC-885 default boot drive

beachmat
beachmat Member Posts: 6 New User
I recently installed an M.2 SSD in an Aspire XC-885 and cloned the data from the hard drive. The pc boots from the SSD ok if I press F12 and select it, otherwise it boots by default from the HD. I checked in the bios but couldn't see how to set the SSD as default as it wasn't showing up as an option (from what I remember - it's not my pc and I only have occasional access to it). In another PC I did this on recently, I was able to leave Windows Boot Manager as default in the bios, then select the default drive for WBM, but it seems that's not possible with the Acer bios. Does anyone know how one can set the M.2 as default? I realise I could remove or format the HD, but I'd rather not if possible. Do you have to use bcdedit?
Thanks

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I think that you disconnect the hard drive until your SSD becomes established. 
    I've seen it on the board before. 
  • beachmat
    beachmat Member Posts: 6 New User
    Thanks, I'll try it.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    A post from here.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/647723/i-cant-boot-on-my-new-ssd-nitro-5

"You can't have both drives installed after a clone, take your old hard drive that you have cloned from out and only boot your laptop with your new SSD, don't boot your new SSD with both drives installed, as that is why it doesn't work. After I would always do a periodic system backup with Macrium Reflect v7 software and would also use their "Adding a Boot Menu option for system Image recovery". "

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    You can also bypass most of the hassle... Just use the F12 boot menu to boot from the SSD, then use Disk Management to remove the partitions on the HDD and create a new one using the whole disk.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.