windows boot manager

2»

Answers

• mandy30
    mandy30 Member Posts: 135 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    mandy30 said:
    can you explain the above steps  a bit easier,I cant remember how i get to the diskpart bit as I followed a youtube video and have,nt a clue which one
    I have now managed to get the pc to see the flash drive,just need to know how to enable the F12 boot menu now
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    You should get this when you boot via holding F12. Image attached 
    BTW Just type recovery drive in the search box at bottom left, follow the instructions and you'll create a USB bootable drive on a blank 16GB drive. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/131907/how-to-create-and-use-a-recovery-drive-or-system-repair-disc-in-windows-8/
  • mandy30
    Larryodie said:
    BTW Just type recovery drive in the search box at bottom left, follow the instructions and you'll create a USB bootable drive on a blank 16GB drive. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/131907/how-to-create-and-use-a-recovery-drive-or-system-repair-disc-in-windows-8/
    I am trying to do that now,it keeps coming back cant create it,I,ve done sfc,scannow and there are no errors,i have swapped the usb into another port and it still wont do it,I have just downloaded the media creator tool and going to try that way.I am getting really mixed up here because someone else said i had to disale secre boot which i,ve done but they said i had to enable F12 boot menu,I cant find that in the bios
  • Callistemon
    Callistemon Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    mandy30 said:
    can you explain the above steps  a bit easier,I cant remember how i get to the diskpart bit as I followed a youtube video and have,nt a clue which one
    On a regular Windows environment, press Windows key + R, diskpart, Ctrl + Shift + Enter. On a nonfunctioning computer, press Alt + F10 while booting, choose your keyboard layout, Advanced Options, Command Prompt, then diskpart.

mandy30 said:
    Larryodie said:

I am trying to do that now,it keeps coming back cant create it,I,ve done sfc,scannow and there are no errors,i have swapped the usb into another port and it still wont do it,I have just downloaded the media creator tool and going to try that way.I am getting really mixed up here because someone else said i had to disale secre boot which i,ve done but they said i had to enable F12 boot menu,I cant find that in the bios
    Just use Rufus with a normal Windows ISO, instead of the recovery and repair discs. Open Rufus and choose the dropdown beside Select, click Download, then click the Download button. Choose Windows 10, version 21H2.

If F12 Boot Menu doesn't appear in the BIOS settings, it is probably permanently enabled already.

F12 Boot Menu isn't the only way to boot from the USB. Press Alt + F10 on the nonfunctioning computer while booting, choose your keyboard layout, Advanced Options, Use a Device, EFI USB Device (or something similar).

Once you enter the Rufus pen drive on the nonfunctioning computer, click Next, then click Repair Your Computer in the lower left corner to access Recovery Environment.
  • mandy30
    mandy30 said:
    On a regular Windows environment, press Windows key + R, diskpart, Ctrl + Shift + Enter. On a nonfunctioning computer, press Alt + F10 while booting, choose your keyboard layout, Advanced Options, Command Prompt, then diskpart.

mandy30 said:
    Larryodie said:

Just use Rufus with a normal Windows ISO, instead of the recovery and repair discs. Open Rufus and choose the dropdown beside Select, click Download, then click the Download button. Choose Windows 10, version 21H2.

If F12 Boot Menu doesn't appear in the BIOS settings, it is probably permanently enabled already.

F12 Boot Menu isn't the only way to boot from the USB. Press Alt + F10 on the nonfunctioning computer while booting, choose your keyboard layout, Advanced Options, Use a Device, EFI USB Device (or something similar).

Once you enter the Rufus pen drive on the nonfunctioning computer, click Next, then click Repair Your Computer in the lower left corner to access Recovery Environment.
    I will try that if this does,nt work on usb flash drive
  • Larryodie
    This may be your problem when creating the USB Recovery ?

The Windows 10 recovery disk creation tool seems to require your drive to be in the NTFS Format before it can detect it. To format your drive as NTFS, follow the steps below. First, insert the USB drive into your computer.Jul 22, 2021
  • Larryodie
    edited February 2022
    Note F2 Key may be the delete key to enter the bios and it's always good to disable secure boot too.

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/563-why-cant-i-get-the-f12-boot-menu-to-work-on-my-notebook-or-netbook
  • Larryodie
    I think that in all these procedures that they should be done from a power off state.
  • mandy30
    i can’t start the computer now,I tested the usb flash drive and pulled it out when it started installing windows,now the pc won’t start,it starts up with start up repair then says it can’t repair,get the troubleshooter won’t repair and when I set it to start in safe mode it just starts the safe mode page for a second then just goes back to repairing windows,I have had enough of this pc going to sell it,it’s driving me nuts
  • Larryodie
    Oh My if you pulled the USB while installing Windows. I believe that another F10 boot is in order and maybe create another WIN USB Drive as you may have damaged it.
    Take a big breath, get away from it for a while and be PATIENT when installing. :)
  • mandy30
    I it looks like I am going to have to start from scratch again and do the reset,I really have had enough of this pc,I,ve come off it now as it is really stressing me out,I spent ages earlier doing a system image but I can’t get past the start up repair,wish I had just stuck with my dell pc.I spent hours getting it set up again all for nothing
  • mandy30
    Larryodie said:
    Oh My if you pulled the USB while installing Windows. I believe that another F10 boot is in order and maybe create another WIN USB Drive as you may have damaged it.
    Take a big breath, get away from it for a while and be PATIENT when installing. :)
    I was patient but I was just testing the flash drive to see if I could get it to start installing windows,I pulled it out because I did,nt want windows to re install,it’s just a nightmare
  • mandy30
    What is a F10 boot?
  • Larryodie
    Same as you did recently.  

What is F10 on a Acer laptop?
    The Acer restore key is Alt + F10. These keys are used to restore system to factory defaults if the system failure due to virus/hacker/malware attacks, software errors, wrong operations, hardware corruption, etc.Dec 29, 2021
  • mandy30
    edited February 2022
    Larryodie said:
    Same as you did recently.  

What is F10 on a Acer laptop?
    The Acer restore key is Alt + F10. These keys are used to restore system to factory defaults if the system failure due to virus/hacker/malware attacks, software errors, wrong operations, hardware corruption, etc.Dec 29, 2021
    mandy30 said:
    What is a F10 boot?
    I can’t post messages now,why do I keep getting a red box saying it’s 9 characters too short?will the alt and f10 get me past start up repair,I really don’t want to have to start from scratch again
  • Callistemon
    Callistemon Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Interrupting a Windows installation will always leave extensive damage, with no regard of laptop brand. Never start installing Windows unless you agree to the the fact the previous installation will be corrupted and unfixable after the first minute. Cancelling a Windows installation by removing the USB unexpectedly is always off the table. If for some reason it is needed to cancel, click the Close button. Nevertheless, the Close button should not give the impression that a Windows installation can run for even a minute without causing extensive damage and data loss. The most widespread damage occurs at the beginning.

Now that one was started, the likely only option to get the laptop, yes the laptop, not the Acer laptop, is to start installing again, and allow Windows to finish installing. Before doing that, try backing up your files as shown below, although you may not be able to backup any of your files if the filesystem has already turned RAW or been deleted.
    why do I keep getting a red box saying it’s 9 characters too short?

This is just a really glitchy forum software that often has DNS failures on a daily basis. It has nothing to do with your computers.

will the alt and f10 get me past start up repair

The Alt + F10 will immediately provide a menu where you can choose Reset, Command Prompt, Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, or Startup Settings. If you have important files to save, choose the Command Prompt and insert an external HDD. Input "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe" or "D:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe" without quotes. Under the File > Open menu, use the File Picker to backup your files.

• mandy30
    I have damaged it,I have started a new post explaining what I didÂ