windows boot manager

mandy30
mandy30 Member Posts: 135 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited February 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
just a quick question,when i do a fresh install of windows 10,does the windows boot manager on d drive still boot the new install of windows on c drive please

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,091 Pathfinder
    @mandy30 if you do not format the c: drive, then the windows is still there and it will let you choose Windows 10 on drive c or d for about 30 secs.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • mandy30
    this pc is turning out to be a nightmare,I have never formatted a drive and am a total novice,all i wanted to do was install a fresh copy of windows,now i get this come up
  • mandy30
    I have 2 drives, c where windows is and d which boots windows as far as I know which is a ssd drive,can anyone please explain how i re install windows please
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited February 2022
      I'm confused as you don't install in a partition. Let it install on C
  • mandy30
    me too,when i loaded driver from the usb windows 10 disk the top 2 pics where what were showing,it only showed one drive even though it has 2,I followed a youtube video and typed diskmgm and it showed this,I wanted to reinstall windows because with all the problems I have had and tried to fix it has got corrupt somewhere,I have tried to fix the problem but it says unable to fix.the windows usb would,nt work until I downloaded a storage driver then it showed the top 2 pics.to be honest I feel like chucking this pc through the window.I posted my problem in windows 10 forums and got this reply

The Acer is a brand new computer so you should install as UEFI-GPT. To do so, you must boot the Win 10 installation drive as UEFI.

Again:
    First thing to do is to backup any data on C: to another drive or to partition 5 - Data
    Backup you drivers to partition 5 - Data Backup and Restore Device Drivers in Windows 10

On BIOS, disable fast boot and secure boot (you can turn it on after installation)
    Windows can be installed in two ways: Legacy-MBR or UEFI-GPT

To install as Legacy-MBR you must boot the installation drive as Legacy
    To install as UEFI-GPT you must boot the installation drive as UEFI.
    As you have a new MB with UEFI BIOS, you should install as UEFI-GPT
    Detach any other drives (SATA or Power cable) from the MB.

During POST, press F12(?) to launch the boot menu. You will see two options for the USB drive. USB UEFI (Name) and USB (Name). Select USB UEFI (Name) for UEFI-GPT installation.
    Go to install and delete partitions 1, 2, 3 and 4. on the SSD till you have one one unallocated space and one DATA partition.
    To delete a partition 4 you select the partition and then hit Delete (see your image on post#1). Partition 4 will became a unallocated space.
    Do the same for partition 3. Then for partition 2 and then 1.
    Don't delete the DATA partition.
    Choose the unallocated space to install on and then proceed.
    If you don't want to use MS account, don't enable updates or connect to the internet during installation.

Why do you want to reinstall Win 10 on a new computer? There may be other options other than a clean install.
    this is way too complex for me and I dont know where to start so the only other things for me to take it to a computer shop
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    edited February 2022
    Hi, Is it a 2TB drive? if it is, you can not have two installations of Windows in the same drive.
  • Larryodie
    Just boot the USB WIndows Creation Disk and it'll put it on C: or ask you.
    Better yet just type recovery (Reset) in the search box and let it do it's thing while keeping your data.

You may have something really screwed up since you''re messing with Bios and Regit.
    If do then to a F9 for factory defaults in DOS. Back up your data on an external harddrive or Drive D folder.
    Then do a F10 on boot and let it do a factory install.
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,091 Pathfinder
    @mandy30 so you just want to reinstall the os on the C drive? Then just choose partition 3 Acer.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Larryodie
    edited February 2022
    Did you download the WIN10 tool to create your USB Drive.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    I've never had any problem with it. Just the normal questions but nothing about partitions ?
    Or doing anything to bios except F12 to boot the USB. Get you Bios back to factory with an F9
    I've even created an USB WIN 10 tool on a Lenovo laptop and ran it on an ACER desktop. 
    Here again is pictures of my bios on a TC-895-UA92
  • Larryodie
    I'd advise to unhook the 2nd drive. F9 the Bios and tap F10 on the boot as the USB Creation drive ain't going to work as you have formatted the drive lest you wouldn't be getting questions about partitions.
    Do a F10 on boot and let it format and handle your partitions etc. 
    I assume that your data is gone anyhow that you've formatted.
  • mandy30
    edited February 2022
    I cant choose partition 3 acer to install windows because if you look at 2nd pic it says i cant install on that drive,this is something too complex for me to sort out,all my other pc,s have just had separate drives and all i have ever done is change how they boot,then installed the clean windows,this pc is set up in a way i dont understand,I know for sure i did,nt change any bios settings from what they were,the problem that cant be fixed was something to do with start up,and im assuming I caused that by trying to get out of console mode,also all my other pc,s usually show the drives in bios,this does,nt .I downloaded the windows media tool and installed from microsoft site,I dont think this is a problem with the usb installation,its obviously how the pc is set up in bios but i dont feel confident it changing bios settingsas I may screw up the whole pc

• Larryodie
    mandy30 said:
    me too,when i loaded driver from the usb windows 10 disk the top 2 pics where what were showing,it only showed one drive even though it has 2,I followed a youtube video and typed diskmgm and it showed this,I wanted to reinstall windows because with all the problems I have had and tried to fix it has got corrupt somewhere,I have tried to fix the problem but it says unable to fix.the windows usb would,nt work until I downloaded a storage driver then it showed the top 2 pics.to be honest I feel like chucking this pc through the window.I posted my problem in windows 10 forums and got this reply

The Acer is a brand new computer so you should install as UEFI-GPT. To do so, you must boot the Win 10 installation drive as UEFI.

Again:
    First thing to do is to backup any data on C: to another drive or to partition 5 - Data
    Backup you drivers to partition 5 - Data Backup and Restore Device Drivers in Windows 10

On BIOS, disable fast boot and secure boot (you can turn it on after installation)
    Windows can be installed in two ways: Legacy-MBR or UEFI-GPT

To install as Legacy-MBR you must boot the installation drive as Legacy
    To install as UEFI-GPT you must boot the installation drive as UEFI.
    As you have a new MB with UEFI BIOS, you should install as UEFI-GPT
    Detach any other drives (SATA or Power cable) from the MB.

During POST, press F12(?) to launch the boot menu. You will see two options for the USB drive. USB UEFI (Name) and USB (Name). Select USB UEFI (Name) for UEFI-GPT installation.
    Go to install and delete partitions 1, 2, 3 and 4. on the SSD till you have one one unallocated space and one DATA partition.
    To delete a partition 4 you select the partition and then hit X Delete (see your image on post#1). Partition 4 will became a unallocated space.
    Do the same for partition 3. Then for partition 2 and then 1.
    Don't delete the DATA partition.
    Choose the unallocated space to install on and then proceed.
    If you don't want to use MS account, don't enable updates or connect to the internet during installation.

Why do you want to reinstall Win 10 on a new computer? There may be other options other than a clean install.
    this is way too complex for me and I dont know where to start so the only other things for me to take it to a computer shop
    I think this information is for a formatted drive. You shouldn't even, see the word partitions. Do a F9 to factory restore the bios and a F10 to factory re-install the system. Look at my selections when I booted with F12. File is attached.
  • mandy30
    I am just watching a youtube video on how to make a windows 10 usb for UEFI mode,this is something new to me but somewhere on my pc was info that my pc bios is UEFI,I will attempt that tomorrow because my brain is fried at the moment,I have just deleted the previous windows 10 files on the usb drive and will attempt to make the new windows 10 setup tomorrow,he shows how to make it with rufus so there is step by step which is better for me
  • Larryodie
    The tool does it all, you don't need RUFUS. Just have a blank USB of at least 8GB. Don't mess with BIOS after you have it factory defaulted. Some of those must go back years if they even mention LEGACY.  You can also create it on a different computer as I stated that I created one on a Lenovo laptop & it booted to a Acer destop
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  • mandy30
    I did download from the link you have given but it would,nt work,I put the storage driver on the same usb and pointed it to that when it did,nt recognise any drives,it worked then but would,nt install on the drive saying windows cannot be installed to this hard drive space,the partition is a efi system partition.this youtube video was how to do the win 10 install with a iso
  • Larryodie
    https://softwarekeep.com/help-center/how-to-install-windows-10-81-or-7-using-a-bootable-usb

I never see step 5, I suppose because I never mess with partitions. 
    If you still can't get it do a F10 on boot but save your data first. 
  • Larryodie
    Also when using the USB drive, I  have always  choose Upgrade. Which will allow keeping your current files, settings, and apps; or do a fresh clean installation by picking Custom. In this example, we’ll be choosing custom to do a fresh Windows installation.

If you're doing a custom Installation then format C: drive and do a F10.
  • mandy30
    its ok now because i have cleaned the flash drive and now all the files are gone off it and it wont recognise it,tonight i am going to try to do the factory restore
  • Callistemon
    Callistemon Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited February 2022
    I cant choose partition 3 acer to install windows because if you look at 2nd pic it says i cant install on that drive,this is something too complex for me to sort out,all my other pc,s have just had separate drives and all i have ever done is change how they boot,then installed the clean windows,this pc is set up in a way i dont understand,I know for sure i did,nt change any bios settings from what they were,the problem that cant be fixed was something to do with start up,and im assuming I caused that by trying to get out of console mode,also all my other pc,s usually show the drives in bios,this does,nt .I downloaded the windows media tool and installed from microsoft site,I dont think this is a problem with the usb installation,its obviously how the pc is set up in bios but i dont feel confident it changing bios settingsas I may screw up the whole pc
    If you are to do a clean install, choose Drive 1 Partition 3, not Partition 1. You said "I cant choose partition 3 acer" but the second screenshot shows the Partition 1 ESP. Are you sure it was Partition 3?

You may not need to reinstall Windows to disable Console Mode. Press Alt + F10 while turning on the computer. Choose your keyboard layout, Advanced Options, Command Prompt. Type the lines below exactly as shown. As long as there are no spelling errors, missing spaces, and each line is separated by enter, you will be fine.

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\TestHooks /v ConsoleMode /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    cd /d C:\Windows\System32
    ren Windows.UI.Logon.dll Windows.UI.LogonOLD.dll
    cd C:\Windows\SystemApps
    dir | find /i "LockApp"
    rmdir /s [PASTE FOLDER NAME FROM PREVIOUS COMMAND]
    sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

If there are errors, please report back.
    The tool does it all, you don't need RUFUS. Just have a blank USB of at least 8GB. Don't mess with BIOS after you have it factory defaulted. Some of those must go back years if they even mention LEGACY.  You can also create it on a different computer as I stated that I created one on a Lenovo laptop & it booted to a Acer destop
    The error experienced here with clean installing Windows is very frequently caused by using Media Creation Tool, which uses legacy MBR mode. The very solution is to use Rufus instead, which has a GPT mode for UEFI (non-CSM). However, as stated earlier, it may not be necessary to reinstall Windows, and the existing Media Creation Tool pen drive should be sufficient for disabling Console Mode.
    its ok now because i have cleaned the flash drive and now all the files are gone off it and it wont recognise it,tonight i am going to try to do the factory restore
    You don't need to reset yet. As for recognizing the pen drive, is that for booting or for file storage? If the problem is not being recognized as bootable, use Rufus to make it bootable again. If it needs to be recognized in File Explorer, open Command Prompt as administrator on the working computer and use these commands below. I suggest you wait to do this until you are done using it with Rufus for the above steps for the problem computer.

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    clean
    create partition primary offset=8192
    select partition 1
    assign letter=N
    exit

Replace # with the number for the pen drive, as shown by list disk. Selecting the wrong number may result in data loss.
  • mandy30
    can you explain the above steps  a bit easier,I cant remember how i get to the diskpart bit as I followed a youtube video and have,nt a clue which one