acer aspire TC 1660 bios

mandy30
mandy30 Member Posts: 135 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
can anyone tell what i,m doing wrong,Im trying to boot from a flash drive,I have just put a bootable win 10 on it,I have checked the flash drive in my old pc and when i set the bios in that to boot from flash drive it does no problem.In my new pc I went into bios,changed it to boot from removable device,pressed f10 to save and exit.when it boots up again it boots into widows,I went back and checked it was still set to boot from removable device and it was,Is there something else I need to change on this pc please

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    Use your XC-1660 to do the flash bootable drive to boot, as I've had this problem with Win-11 when I did a Clean Install and the same happened, use Rufus to make the boot USB to Create Windows 10 installation media, so try that.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @mandy30

Is the boot priority higher for the flash drive?

You can try keep tapping the F12 when bootup. This will bring you to the Bootmenu. If your flash drive is bootable, you can select to boot from this flash drive from the Bootmenu.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    You may have to hold the FN key while tapping the F12. 
    Also if you type Recovery USB in the search box and follow the steps, then it will create the full bootable USB.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Just go into the BIOS and set Secure Boot to disabled and the F12 boot menu to enabled. If the flash drive is correctly configured for UEFI booting, it will be shown in the boot menu when you do the F12 at startup.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @StevenGen

Oh yeah! Win 11 flash drive created by Microsoft's Media Creation Tool gives problems?
    It worked for me for Win 10.
  • mandy30
    I,m not using windows 11,I have,nt upgraded yet,I will try some of the suggested methods later tonight,I used windows media creator to make the bootable win 10,It has correctly installed as I tried it on my old pc,I am very confused with this pc because as far as I know it boots from the ssd drive which is d drive but windows is on c,all my other pc,s were bootable from just the c drive,I am a novice with computers and only know how to do limited things on it.I bought a external cd drive as it did,nt have one installed and tried to do a bootable win 0 cd but could,nt as it said the file was too big.I just want to make sure I have a bootable windows 10 in case i mess things up,this is how my bios looks,should something be enabled in the priority boxes? 
  • Larryodie
    Download the WIN10 tool from my link then plug it in.  Power on while pressing F12 hold FN and tap 12. Then change your boot to the USB when the selection POPS up. BTW F10 or FN + F10 will get you a factory install.  But I love the USB as I can use it on other brand W10 units.
    It'll take an hour or more to create the drive.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  • Larryodie
    edited February 2022
    I must note to DOWNLOAD THE WIN10 TOOL on this link, 
    Also you can do the same by typing usb drive in the search box on your computer
  • Larryodie
    Last night, I did a "USB DRIVE" in the search box. it took hours to complete. TC895-UA92 with replacement keyboard as the OEM would need the Fn & F12 key
    Here is  picture of the bios when I booted holding the F12 key. 
  • mandy30
    I am totally lost now,where is the fn key on the keyboard?The windows I put on the flash drive is from where yours points to,I downloaded the windows media tool,then downloaded windows 10 but it did,nt take as long as a hour to complete.I am going to try what you suggest shortly,will let you know what happens
  • mandy30
    Larryodie said:
    Download the WIN10 tool from my link then plug it in.  Power on while pressing F12 hold FN and tap 12. Then change your boot to the USB when the selection POPS up. BTW F10 or FN + F10 will get you a factory install.  But I love the USB as I can use it on other brand W10 units.
    It'll take an hour or more to create the drive.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    Once again your advice has been invaluable,thankyou so much,I got the option to install from flash drive,when I did the f10 one though I did,nt get factory install I got edit boot options box.How do you find this information?it has helped me massively
  • mandy30
    Is there another key that will give me factory install?does,nt really matter as If i get into trouble at least I can reinstall windows but it would be nice to know,also if I do a clean install of windows 10 will the windows boot manager still boot from the new windows 10 without me having to change anything please,Im assuming it does as it is on the d drive
  • Larryodie
    F10 Key when booting will give you a factory install also hold the SHIFT button while restarting will get you to a safe mode menu that will recovery from a previous date and/or factory install/reset.

• Larryodie
    But it is nice to have the USB Windows tool available as I had some kind of issue that I couldn't get by the password entry so I used the USB and was able to restore to an earlier date, otherwise I would have to do a F10.
  • mandy30
    Larryodie said:
    F10 Key when booting will give you a factory install also hold the SHIFT button while restarting will get you to a safe mode menu that will recovery from a previous date and/or factory install/reset.

your advice is spot on and is so helpful to a beginner like me,it is so stressful searching the web and trying many options that dont work,thanks once again 
  • Larryodie
    Thanks and Good Luck.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    The confusion here is that F10 puts you in a recovery mode, while F12 gives you the actual boot menu. In the BIOS images you show you have Secure Boot enabled, which will block booting from most flash drives, and you have the Boot Menu setting hidden behind the 1st boot device popup. You ignore the boot device order and enable the Boot Menu. Once Secure Boot is disabled and the Boot Menu is enabled, putting the flash drive in a USB port and pressing the F12 key at power up will give you the option of booting from any bootable device, so you choose the flash drive in its USB port and the Windows installer will start.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mandy30
    billsey said:
    The confusion here is that F10 puts you in a recovery mode, while F12 gives you the actual boot menu. In the BIOS images you show you have Secure Boot enabled, which will block booting from most flash drives, and you have the Boot Menu setting hidden behind the 1st boot device popup. You ignore the boot device order and enable the Boot Menu. Once Secure Boot is disabled and the Boot Menu is enabled, putting the flash drive in a USB port and pressing the F12 key at power up will give you the option of booting from any bootable device, so you choose the flash drive in its USB port and the Windows installer will start.
    thankyou for that information,its very good to know these things,does the boot menu enable automatically when you disable secure boot or do you have to change something else to enable it please
  • Larryodie
    edited February 2022
    Here is my Authentication Bios Page from my TC-895-UA92
  • mandy30
    mine is set the same but my colours are the other way round to yours,I really have,nt a clue whats going on with this pc but somehow I have got rid of console mode.I did a sfc can and it found errors but said it was unable to fix them,I tried windows repair that could,nt fix them either,so decided i would do a fresh install from my flash drive,it loaded but when I came to do the install it could,nt find a drive to install it on