Is There a BIOS recovery method for Aspire XC-830?

alteredboot
alteredboot Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
Windows Update tried to flash the BIOS.  Now computer won't get past the POST (can't get to BIOS).  Is there a recovery method via USB?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    BIOS Recovery
    When you boot up the computer and you hear one long beep, followed by a shorter one, the system BIOS is damaged. This may be caused by an interruption during a BIOS flash procedure (e.g. a power outage) or a corrupted BIOS code, which will cause the system to go into an unbootable state. You need to access and execute the boot block program to reboot the computer and recover the regular BIOS code.

Note the following when restoring the BIOS settings:

• Make sure the computer is connected to a UPS unit during the BIOS recovery process, a power failure can leave it unrecoverable.
    • The BIOS recovery media should be prepared in a computer running the Windows OS. A USB flash drive can be used.
    Creating the BIOS Crisis Recovery Disk
    1. Set up a computer running the Windows operating system and connect the BIOS recovery media.
    2. Copy the target BIOS ROM file to the BIOS recovery media and rename it as “RCVBOOT.CAP”.
    3. Eject the BIOS recovery media from the computer.
    Performing a BIOS Recovery
    1. Shut down the system with failed BIOS.
    2. Put the BIOS ROM file (it may exist at \ROM\xxx.CAP) to a USB storage.
    3. Rename BIOS ROM file to RCVBOOT.CAP (i.e. P11-A0.CAP to RCVBOOT.CAP)
    4. Plug the USB storage to the system.
    5. Press the power button to turn on the system. The system will now execute the BIOS recovery process. You will hear a long beep followed by a short beep.
    6. Select Proceed with flash update to start recovery. NOTE This procedure is only applicable when the boot block section is still valid.
    7. Wait for the program to finish with the recovery.
    8. Flash update completed.
    9. Press any key to reboot system.
    10. The BIOS recovery is now completed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    BIOS Recovery
    When you boot up the computer and you hear one long beep, followed by a shorter one, the system BIOS is damaged. This may be caused by an interruption during a BIOS flash procedure (e.g. a power outage) or a corrupted BIOS code, which will cause the system to go into an unbootable state. You need to access and execute the boot block program to reboot the computer and recover the regular BIOS code.

Note the following when restoring the BIOS settings:

• Make sure the computer is connected to a UPS unit during the BIOS recovery process, a power failure can leave it unrecoverable.
    • The BIOS recovery media should be prepared in a computer running the Windows OS. A USB flash drive can be used.
    Creating the BIOS Crisis Recovery Disk
    1. Set up a computer running the Windows operating system and connect the BIOS recovery media.
    2. Copy the target BIOS ROM file to the BIOS recovery media and rename it as “RCVBOOT.CAP”.
    3. Eject the BIOS recovery media from the computer.
    Performing a BIOS Recovery
    1. Shut down the system with failed BIOS.
    2. Put the BIOS ROM file (it may exist at \ROM\xxx.CAP) to a USB storage.
    3. Rename BIOS ROM file to RCVBOOT.CAP (i.e. P11-A0.CAP to RCVBOOT.CAP)
    4. Plug the USB storage to the system.
    5. Press the power button to turn on the system. The system will now execute the BIOS recovery process. You will hear a long beep followed by a short beep.
    6. Select Proceed with flash update to start recovery. NOTE This procedure is only applicable when the boot block section is still valid.
    7. Wait for the program to finish with the recovery.
    8. Flash update completed.
    9. Press any key to reboot system.
    10. The BIOS recovery is now completed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @billsey

Very informative.

With all the procedures, it may be somewhat cumbersome and people seldom release it in such details.

Thanks again.
  • alteredboot

@billsey

Thanks you very muchThis is great info.
    I am getting the one long beep, followed by a shorter one.

From the Acer support site for my system (Aspire XC-830), I downloaded the BIOS zip file (BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A). 
    In a subfolder /ROM filed called "R01-B0.bin".  Moved to USB and renamed as RCVBOOT.CAP.

Plugged into problem system.  Startup.  Long beep/short beep.  USB starts to light up.  after a few seconds lights off.  wait several minutes. Nothing happens. I power off.

Tried again, this time copied the file over to USB but no rename (left as "R01-B0.bin").  Plug into problem system.  Startup.  Long beep/short beep.  USB starts to light up with more activity.  after about 10 seconds the system reboots automatically.  USB flash drive Drive Light come on, stays on 10 minutes later I force power off.  Pull out USB drive.

Try Reboot system without USB. one long beep, followed by a shorter one.

I'm very encouraged by the fact that the PC is trying to read the USB after the beeps, however I'm not sure I have the right file.  There was no file with the extension .CAP

Any other thoughts?  where might I find the correct ROM file?  Also, there was no screen activity "Proceed with flash update"
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Did you make the USB bootable ?
  • alteredboot
    Larryodie said:
    Did you make the USB bootable ?
    Thanks
    No, I hadn't.

On this suggestion, I used Rufus and made the USB bootable; choosing the FreeDOS option (the "Disk or ISO" option required an image) and MBR Partion Scheme/FAT32.  This added a "Locale" Folder.
    I proceeded to add the ROM  and changed name to RCVBOOT.CAP however I got the same result; Long Beep, Short Beep, USB accessed (USB LED flashing) but nothing else.

I feel we're on the right track.  It's reading something from the flash drive and then about 10-15 seconds later rebooting itself.
  • Maybe the problem is in the bios version. Do you know which version was originally installed?

For example, if your computer came with version R01.AX, you must download that version. Also, the flash drive has to be formatted in fat32 and converted to mbr, like this:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk x
    clean
    convert mbr
    create partition primary
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign
    active
    Do not use rufus! Use cmd as administrator! Then, just extract the bios file, change the name and extract it to the flash drive.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • alteredboot
    Maybe the problem is in the bios version. Do you know which version was originally installed?

For example, if your computer came with version R01.AX, you must download that version. Also, the flash drive has to be formatted in fat32 and converted to mbr.

Thank you for your assistance.
    I do not know what the BIOS was.  This event came after a family member upgraded their PC with window 10 optional update that attempted to upgrade the BIOS.  I didn't even know Windows did this until I did a little digging online.  unfortunately it was working fine before, then the update and here we are.

the Acer support site for the Aspire XC-830 provides
    the download contains BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A.zip
    which has these files.

\BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\Appendix
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\EFI
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\ROM
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\UCP
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\WIN
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\Appendix\EFI Flash SOP(x64) v1.6.pdf
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\Appendix\UCP Flash SOP(x64) v1.1.pdf
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\Appendix\WIN Flash SOP(x64) v1.5.pdf
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\EFI\AfuEfix64.efi
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\EFI\FLASH.nsh
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\ROM\R01-B0.bin
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\UCP\R01-B0.exe
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\WIN\afuwinx64.exe
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\WIN\amifldrv64.sys
    \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\WIN\FLASH.bat

for these attempts I've been using the file \ROM\R01-B0.bin

Either R01-B0.bin directly or renamed to 
      RCVBOOT.CAP
      RCVBOOT.bin
      R01-B0.CAP

Still without luck.  Beeps, USB activity, and self reboots.  No screen activity
  • Larryodie
    edited January 2022
    I'm wondering if you've tried pulling the bios battery for 30 minutes or overnight if possible ?
    To reset the bios, possibly it'll load a factory bios ?? 
  • alteredboot
    Larryodie said:
    I'm wondering if you've tried pulling the bios battery fo 30 minutes or overnight if possible ?
    I did for a few minutes, but no longer.  I will give this a try today and replace it tomorrow
  • Do you still have the original cardboard box from the computer? This box contains the original version of the bios.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    If the R01-B0 isn't working, try the R01-A4 instead... It might be not liking the A->B change. If that doesn't work, try the newest B version. Recovery typically won't let you put an old version over a newer one.
  • alteredboot

@billsey

Thanks you very much.  This is great info.  I am getting the one long beep, followed by a shorter one.

From the Acer support site for my system (Aspire XC-830), I downloaded the BIOS zip file (BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A). 
    In a subfolder /ROM filed called "R01-B0.bin".  Moved to USB and renamed as RCVBOOT.CAP.

Plugged into problem system.  Startup.  Long beep/short beep.  USB starts to light up.  after a few seconds lights off.  wait several minutes. Nothing happens. I power off.

Tried again, this time copied the file over to USB but no rename (left as "R01-B0.bin").  Plug into problem system.  Startup.  Long beep/short beep.  USB starts to light up with more activity.  after about 10 seconds the system reboots automatically.  USB flash drive Drive Light come on, stays on 10 minutes later I force power off.  Pull out USB drive.

Try Reboot system without USB. one long beep, followed by a shorter one.

I'm very encouraged by the fact that the PC is trying to read the USB after the beeps, however I'm not sure I have the right file.  There was no file with the extension .CAP

Any other thoughts?  where might I find the correct ROM file?
  • alteredboot
    Larryodie said:
    I'm wondering if you've tried pulling the bios battery for 30 minutes or overnight if possible ?
    To reset the bios, possibly it'll load a factory bios ?? 
    So it did something.. good/bad tbd

I unplugged the unit and removed the CMOS Battery, let it drain overnight.   Replaced it this AM.

Now I power on the unit and get no beep at all.
    I can hear a bit of HD activity and then after 20 seconds, the system winds down (fan stops/drive stops) and then comes on again.. like you would expect a reboot. Then nothing...fan runs and you can hear the drive running quietly but no drive activity.  Nothing on the monitor (using HDMI or VGA).

Tried it again with the USB Flash Drive inserted.  Same response from the PC no activity on the USB Flash Drive (from the other posts you see that the USB flash drive has an LED that let's me know).  The Flash Drive is made bootable from @egydiocoelho command line instructions

Almost sounds like the PC is looking for something on the Hard Drive but not finding it.  The lack of a POST beep is concerning though.

Note: I'm an electronics tech by trade, so I'm certain nothing got damaged by a simple CMOS battery removal.
    I just haven't got into PC builds for 10-15 years.  I'm a newb to the whole EFI thing.
  • alteredboot
    billsey said:
    If the R01-B0 isn't working, try the R01-A4 instead... It might be not liking the A->B change. If that doesn't work, try the newest B version. Recovery typically won't let you put an old version over a newer one.
    I'll try that if I get back to the point where it's reading the USB drive.. thanks
  • You can try something simpler: this computer has an offboard video card. Is the image displayed when you connect the monitor here?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Larryodie
    edited January 2022
    Alteredboot: Check your work. Is the battery on correctly, reseat RAM. Visual check.
    I ran a TV/VCR repair center for 45 years but I made mistakes. 
    I'd take a thinking walk, then go back and recheck my work. 
    I'd also check the battery with a volt meter.
    Best to you.
  • alteredboot
    egydiocoelho No I don't have the original box unfortunately
  • alteredboot
    egydiocoelho
    I wondered the same thing.  I have the monitor connected both ways (VGA and HDMI) and I flip the input signal on the monitor each time just to see if something is happening on either one.
  • alteredboot
    While I was not able to solve my problem.  The given procedure and support from the members addressed the question.  best of luck to whoever else should need it.
  • billsey
    In the image egydiocoelho posted you can see the ports for a GPU card installed in that slot toward the bottom. If there is a GPU installed, the onboard graphics will be disabled and you won't be able to use the VGA or HDMI port on the MB.