Is There a BIOS recovery method for Aspire XC-830?

Answers

• alteredboot
    alteredboot Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
    There are no other cards installed, but thank you.
  • I still think you should download the bios version that came installed on the motherboard, for the recovery process to work.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • alteredboot
    I still think you should download the bios version that came installed on the motherboard, for the recovery process to work.

I agree, the struggle is to determine what that is
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,186 Trailblazer
    edited January 2022
    Do you know how to inform when you bought the computer? Through this date, it is possible to stipulate which version of the bios was installed on the motherboard.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • alteredboot
    Do you know how to inform when you bought the computer? Through this date, it is possible to stipulate which version of the bios was installed on the motherboard.

It was purchased Nov 30, 2020
  • So it is very likely that it came with the bios in version R01-BX.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• alteredboot
    So it is very likely that it came with the bios in version R01-BX.

Thanks.  Since removing the CMOS Battery, letting it drain overnight, and reinstalling, I have been unable to get the POST beep.  Sounds like I may just have to buy a new motherboard
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,186 Trailblazer
    edited February 2022
    You can try rewriting the bios with an eeprom ch341a recorder, at some repair center.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• alteredboot
    So it is very likely that it came with the bios in version R01-BX.

I got the beep working again, so it's back to reading the USB Drive.
    I got the BIOS file from the Acer site.. "R01-B0.bin"  however I've been told the extension should be .CAP. 
    Is there a conversion?
  • Are you changing to RCVBOOT.CAP?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• alteredboot
    Are you changing to RCVBOOT.CAP?

Yes I am.  But I simply renamed the file.  I was wondering if there is a conversion utility to go from .BIN to .CAP
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Are you changing the complete file name to rcvboot.cap ? 
  • alteredboot
    Larryodie said:
    Are you changing the complete file name to rcvboot.cap ? 
    Yes R01-B0.bin renamed to RCVBOOT.CAP.  no luck. 
    I did see on some websites that there is a way of converting a .CAP to .BIN but not the other way around.  Multiple sources keep talking a Asus .CAP, however the Asus support site only provides a .BIN or rather, a zip file that contains multiple files including /BIOS/
    R01-B0.bin but no .CAP
  • Larryodie
    No. Name the complete file that you downloaded to RCVBOOT.CAP 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/651608/acer-bios-update-froze-bricked-aspire-tc-120
  • alteredboot
    Larryodie said:
    No. Name the complete file that you downloaded to RCVBOOT.CAP 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/651608/acer-bios-update-froze-bricked-aspire-tc-120
    I tried renaming the entire ZIP file as RCVBOOT.CAP but it didn't work either.  With the link you provided (thanks), it states
    1. Put the BIOS ROM file (it may exist at \ROM\xxx.CAP) to a USB storage.
    2. Rename BIOS ROM file to RCVBOOT.CAP (i.e. P11-A0.CAP to RCVBOOT.CAP)

The zip file from the Asus Site contains
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\Appendix
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\EFI
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\ROM
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\UCP
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\WIN
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\Appendix\EFI Flash SOP(x64) v1.6.pdf
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\Appendix\UCP Flash SOP(x64) v1.1.pdf
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\Appendix\WIN Flash SOP(x64) v1.5.pdf
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\EFI\AfuEfix64.efi
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\EFI\FLASH.nsh
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\ROM\R01-B0.bin
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\UCP\R01-B0.exe
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\WIN\afuwinx64.exe
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\WIN\amifldrv64.sys
      \BIOS_Acer_R01-B0_A_A\WIN\FLASH.bat

As you can see, there is a \ROM folder but the only file there is R01-B0.bin and I've been renaming that as RCVBOOT.CAP for most of these trials.  I feel like I'm almost there.  it beeps (long/short) and reads the flash drive, but gives up nothing.
  • Larryodie
    edited February 2022
    Maybe rename the complete file to RVCBOOT.CAP without unzipping it or unzipped but the COMPLETE file.
    Maybe STEVEGEN can advise as he did in the link ?
  • alteredboot
    Larryodie said:
    Maybe rename the complete file to RVCBOOT.CAP without unzipping it or unzipped but the COMPLETE file.
    Maybe STEVEGEN can advise as he did in the link ?

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.  I'll try a few more iterations including another shot at the whole zip file.  I tried unpacking and renaming the root folder but it was still a folder.  I didn't think that would work, but I'll try anything.  I'll follow up with STEVEGEN but I think it's a new motherboard.

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    If you don't have file extensions turned on in Windows (the default) then the rename will actually make the file RVCBOOT.CAP.bin...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • alteredboot
    billsey said:
    If you don't have file extensions turned on in Windows (the default) then the rename will actually make the file RVCBOOT.CAP.bin...
    Thanks, I do have the proper extension