Difficulty updating my Aspire GX-281 from R01-A0 to R01-A4

Options
2»

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,438 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options
    Acer Support has a YouTube site that may help you and others. 
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrJJLF-MAHn4emWhJls9xaA

BTW you can replace Windows without disturbing the data. 

I keep a USB recovery drive handy. 
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-recovery-drive-abb4691b-5324-6d4a-8766-73fab304c246

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @LukaZ123

I see, you are not that technical person, I'll try to give more details.

1) If you are still using traditional hard drivve as the boot drive, I strongly suggest to take this time to upgrade to a 2.5" SATA3 SSD, it is like three times faster than traditional HDD ( 550 MB/s read vs. 110 MB/s). You said you have a SSD, but did not mention you are using it as the boot drive. If your existing SSD and HDD are not too old and still healthy, I don't see much risk of keeping them. You can keep these old drives as additional data drives if you want to. 

1 A) Be sure to backup all your existing data by copying your personal data using drag and drop to another drive (such as external HDD or high capacity USB falsh drive, I use 256 GB flash drives now as third backup for my personal data.

2) I am assuming you will do a fresh Win 10 install. Prepare a new 8 GB or 16 GB USB flash drive in FAT 32 format (people say, don't use something higher than 32GB, I tried 16 GB one and it worked for me). Insert this flash drive to your PC before visiting Microsoft site of the link.

3) From the page, click "Download Tool Now", this will download the Media Creation Tool to your PC. When finished download, you can click on the lower left corner to execute the tool. If you don't see it, go to your PC's Download folder, search for it , double click to execute it.

4) Accept Microsoft's term of usage, you will further have the options to select download 64 bit or 32 bit version with the small drop down menu. Your PC is probably old enough that can use the 32 bit version (my previous 12 and 14 years old desktops were able to use both Win 10 32-bit and 64-bit versions with regular Windows updates). Don't forget, 32-bit version can only use up to 3.45GB memory. Here, I assume you will get the 64-bit version as most people do.

5) Download will take a while. Once finished, this USB flash drive will become bootable. That means even if you do not have a bootable hard drive with Windows in your PC, you still can bootup to this new Win 10 installation flash drive alone.

You can prepare this before your new HDD/SSD arrive.

6) Assume you are going to install this Win 10 (21H2) to your new hard drive ( preferably the 2.5" SATA3 SSD), and assuming you have connected the data cable and power connector to this new HDD/SSD prpoperly, with the flash drive also plugged in.

When power up, hold down the Fn key and keep tapping the F12 (or just tapping the F12 key)  key about three times a second while still in the black screen until you see the Bootmenu. From the Bootmenu, you should see this bootable flash drive. Highlight it in the Bootmenu and hit Enter and the PC will start booting.

7) After bootup, Win 10 will ask you for Win 10 Product Key activation. Assuming your PC came with Windoows pre-installed, that means the product key is embedded in the motherboard, so you can just answer "I do not have the product key". Windows can detect this product key from motherboard and read the Digital License.

8) Continue the process, Windows will ask you where to install. You may want to highlight the HDD/SSD you want it to be installed.
    Normally, for fresh install, I would instruct Windows to use the whole HDD/SSD and let Windows to format the whole drive. So far I have not tried to instruct Windows to be installed in just a certain partition of the HDD/SSD, maybe that can retain data of the old drive, but I am not sure. For the mean time, I'll suggest a whole drive foramatting for a fresh installation.

9) This will take a while to install Win 10. When finished, Win 10 will go through the initial setup procedures like when you got your PC new.

10) Don't know if your PC currently using One Drive from Microsoft, if so, your personal data may be already in the Clooud. If you use Microsoft account for setup (Win 10 password linked to Microsoft account) your personal data may be there as Microsoft may try to synchronize your data from cloud.

11) Once Win 10 is running well, type Update in the serach field of the Task Bar , getting to the Update page, do your update setttings and get the latest update since this 21H2 version released. You can tell right away Windows updates are working for you now.

12) If you do not have Microsoft account with cloud storage, you can copy your personal data from the drive that you have backup the data previously and drop it back down to this new drive.

13) As for loading back the programs, I'll say just do it the way how you installed them initially, either from programs disc or download from internet. 

Got other questions?
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,438 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    edited January 2022
    Options
    If you're just updating Windows then do this. Easiest way is SHIFT RESTART.
    When booting the USB Tool Drive, The appropriate keys are "Tap F12" or Hold FN while tapping F12. You'll be asked to just replace windows only & not mess with data or Format ALL. 

When you want to launch Windows 10 on a different computer, insert your USB drive into that PC. Press the appropriate key to launch your Boot menu and choose the option to boot up off the USB drive. The easiest way is to hold the Shift key and restart the computer.