Difficulty updating my Aspire GX-281 from R01-A0 to R01-A4

Options
LukaZ123
LukaZ123 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited January 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hello,

I have a Aspire GX-281 Windows 10 with bios version R01-A0.

This, according to another forum, has not allowed my PC to update windows for the last about 3 years. Here is my msinfo32
Bild

If this is the case or no, I would like to update my BIOS to R01-A4.

After following multiple tutorials and scratching my head for hours on end, I have decided to post this question here.

I have tried updating it from the support app with no success. 

I have downloaded the bios update but, instead of showing me 1 executable command, it shows me 4 folders: Appendix, EFI, ROM and WIN, each with their own content. 

What do I do now? I tried running FLASH from WIN after finding someone with a similar looking problem, but it didn't help, my BIOS version staying on R01-A0.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @LukaZ123

Look inside the Appendix folder, it should give you the instructions to do the update. 

There should be several methods to do BIOS update. If there is a Windows 10 method, it will be the easiest, just a few clicks away.

Be sure to follow instructions carefully !!!!

Answers

• LukaZ123

Tinkerer

Options
    I nearly forgot: Here are all the extracted files:

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,780 Pathfinder
    Options
    @LukaZ123 You can use Windows 10 update assistant for updating to newest build. For the BIOS update, you can read the instructions in the appendix folder. 
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you already checked the WIN FLASH UTILITY document?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,209 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Befolgen Sie diese Schritte, um das BIOS-Update durchzuführen.
    1. Kopieren Sie die Ordner „WIN“ und „ROM“ auf ein Speichergerät.
    2. Führen Sie die Eingabeaufforderung als Administrator aus.
    3. Gehen Sie zum BIOS-Pfad. Geben Sie den WIN-Ordner ein.
    4. Führen Sie flash.bat aus.
    5. Load and save BIOS default settings as described in Win Flash Utility SOP in the Appendix folder.

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    Read the guide! Doing anyuthing other than it states could brick the machine, only do anything after reading the guide fully, it explains step by step what  you need to do. So give it a read, then do it if you need.

the bios wont be stopping you update though i dont belive, does nothing show in windows update?
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @LukaZ123

Look inside the Appendix folder, it should give you the instructions to do the update. 

There should be several methods to do BIOS update. If there is a Windows 10 method, it will be the easiest, just a few clicks away.

Be sure to follow instructions carefully !!!!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I find it best, if the update doesn't seem to work, to open a command prompt in run as administrator mode, change directory to the extracted zip in the WIN folder, the execute the batch file. Any errors it generates will stay up and visible. If you just double click the batch file it displays the errors and immediately closes the window.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • LukaZ123

Tinkerer

Options
    Have you already checked the WIN FLASH UTILITY document?

@egydiocoelho
    If you mean weather I have run it, the answer is yes, although my BIOS stayed at R01-A0
  • LukaZ123

Tinkerer

Options
    Leostat
    Where exactly would those instructions be?
    As for the windows update, the updates show, but wont download. Im quite sure this is the problem as a few experts from windows thought the BIOS version was the problem.
    Thank you for the help
  • ttttt
    Options
    @LukaZ123

Seemed like you have some problems while updating BIOS, and I have checked the Appendix folder.
    Your PC is little opld, so the BIOS update process is not as simple as just a few clicks away.

Have you completed the Windows Flash Utility SOP process as stated in the appendix folder step by step? Any error messages?

• LukaZ123

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello everyone,
    Thank you so much for your help.
    Although I still cannot update Windows, I have managed to update my BIOS. 
    I could not have done it withought you.
    I will continue trying to fix this over at the windows help community.
    Kind regards,
    Luka Z.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options
    Create and run an Windows USB Drive. It takes a while to create it (maybe 1 hour ) or type recovery in the search box.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d
  • Larryodie
    Options
    You cab also press the SHIFT key when restarting , this will take you to safe mode with options.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @LukaZ123

Glad to know that you succeeded in updating the BIOS.

How about tell us more how you cannot update Windows?
  • LukaZ123

Tinkerer

edited January 2022
    Options
    ttttt said:
    @LukaZ123

Glad to know that you succeeded in updating the BIOS.

How about tell us more how you cannot update Windows?

Hello,

I am currently struggling to update my Windows 10 PC and have not had a functional update for a few years. The updates I am stuck on are:

2021-01 Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4589211)

Update for Removal of Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based systems (KB4577586)

2021-02 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64 (KB4601556)

I have been trying to update this for quite a while, but every time it just cycles:

All 3 showing  ”Getting things ready – 0%”

2 showing “Pending install” while 1 shows “Installing - 0%”

One showing “Pending download

All 3 of them showing “Downloading - 0%”

Nothing ever moves past 0% except I occasionally noticed installing to jump to 100%, only to disappear almost immediately. The text changes about once per second.

This has also caused some functional problems, with some programs misbehaving, although most likely due to the fact that there are updates missing.

I have already been told to download this tool(https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209) and use it to restore windows, but I'm waiting for my external drive to arrive so that I can make a backup, seeing as this is an old PC and there is a high chance of something going wrong.

• LukaZ123

Tinkerer

edited January 2022
    Options
    Larryodie said:
    You cab also press the SHIFT key when restarting , this will take you to safe mode with options.
    Hello,
    What would this do? I'm not too good with computers and am not sue what safe mode is or what I could do with it.
    Kind regards and thank you for your help

• LukaZ123

Tinkerer

edited January 2022
    Options
    Larryodie said:
    Create and run an Windows USB Drive. It takes a while to create it (maybe 1 hour ) or type recovery in the search box.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d
    I believe this was my next step, but I'm just waiting for my external disk to arrive so I can make a backup. Is that link the same as this one?
    (Download tool now (microsoft.com)
    Kind regards and thank you for the help,

• ttttt
    Options
    @LukaZ123

If you have not updated Win 10 for too long, it is not surprise to see some problems like that.

I'll suggest:

1) Backup all your data from the PC now.

2) Do a clean install of Win 10 by visiting this link and create a Win 10 (21H2) bootable flash drive using the Media Creation Tool there.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3) Boot from this flash drive and install it to the original drive ( let Win 10 format the existing drive)

If you want to be safe, get a new drive and remove old drive and install Win 10 to this new drive. If you are still using traditional, spinning HDD, take this as an opportunity to upgrade to a SSD.

If Win 10 ask you for product key, just answer " I don't have a product key"

4) Then load back your programs and data.

This will save you some troubles trying to get the updates that you missed.

• Larryodie
    Options
    @LukaZ123
    I'm having trouble replying to your question. So I'll comment

I use safe mode to reset to an earlier date. But you can do other things.
    See this link
    https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10/
  • LukaZ123

Tinkerer

edited January 2022
    Options
    ttttt

In case you misunderstood: The problem is not that I forgot to update Windows, it's that I couldn't update it. Every time I try it doesn't seem to work.

I bought an external disk and am waiting for it to come, so I cant start right now. 

As you can probably see, I'm not too good with computers, so I have a few questions. 

I'm not completely sure what you mean when you say I should create a bootable flash drive...Do you mean that I just install the file from the link or is there something more? And as for booting from the flash drive, I'm not too sure what you mean with that either.

About the replacing of the hard drive, I have one SSD with 60GB free and a HHD with 30GB. If possible, I wold try to do this withought replacing them...What is the risk if I keep them?

Although I'm not at that point yet, I would also politely ask you how to load back all my programs and data after the process is complete.

If you feel it is pointless to have to explain everything step by step, it might be easier for you to direct me to a video explaining how to do it.

Kind regards and thank you a lot,