TC-1660-UA92 How to ADD Additional SSD HD

jfkjr
jfkjr Member Posts: 4 New User
I just ordered an Aspire  TC-1660-UA92 with a 512gb what I assume to be an M.2. It appears the MB only supports 1. I want to add an additional SSD which I assume would have to be SATA. Is the cabling already in the case or do I need to supply my own. Is there anything else I should know? Sorry for the newbie questions. It's been 10+ years since I modified a computer. 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Try turning it sideways...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @jfkjr

Did your TC-1660-UA92 come with 1TB traditional HDD or 500GB NVMe SSD?

If you open up the PC, the first thing you see is a big piece of silver color metal. This is the HDD tray. You can mount two 2.5" SSDs or one 3.5" traditional HDD plus a 2.5" SSD there (at the back, so you must take out this HDD tray first).

Hope you are getting a SSD with the four mounting screws. Most SSD manufacturers do not give you the four screws and people may need to buy it.

Also, your TC-1660 is using 12 volt only power supply, which is totally different from standard ATX PSU. Since you said cabling is ready, hope it means the connector cable from the six pin connector on motherboard to the SATA SSD drive is provided. Other people using 12 volt only PSU is having hard time to find this kind of connecting cable.
  • jfkjr
    I have not received the machine but wanted to get a jump on it. The specs say it comes with a 512gb m.2 SSD I was hoping it came with an extra cable for an additional2.5 SSD. I will repost when I get it. Thanks Erangler.
  • billsey
    Typically they don't ship with extra SATA data cables. Does your model come with an ODD? If so there is a cable running from the MB to power the ODD and it has an extra connector to provide power to a second drive. If not the cable might be in the box, so check the packaging closely. If it's not included at all then the part number for it is: 50.VQED3.001.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jfkjr
    It came with the cables I need. I bought a 

Crucial MX500 1TB  SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD

I had an old 2.5 to 3.5 bracket but it does not match up with the mounting holes of the Acers HDD1 mounting plate. Any ideas?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Try turning it sideways...
  • jfkjr
    Finally got a chance to open up the box again. Billsey was dead on. My problem was that I tried to mount the drive using the holes with the orange "grommets" I mounted it directly to the plate and it lined up perfectly. Thank you!
  • billsey
    Sometimes thinking outside the box can be useful. :)