Installing M2 SSD in Acer TC-1660

JoeShmoe
JoeShmoe Member Posts: 3 New User
I'd like to install a m.2 SSD in the tc-1660 desktop, is there a guide of how to do this? inc setting the BIOS to recognise it? i cant even find a document with the motherboard layout?

Best Answer

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    JoeShmoe said:
    Cool tks, out of interest i may want to dual boot using an external SSD via USB 3.2. Does anyone know if there are USB 3.2 slots on the tc-1660 and what if any read speed differences would be vs the existing SATA based HDD?

Using the USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports you can boot OS using external SSD drive. 

Hope this helps You!!

Regards, 
    Balatekie
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

Answers

• Balatekie
    edited November 2021
    Hello!!

@JoeShmoe

Hope this helps you!!

Regards, 
    Balatekie

• JoeShmoe
    Cool tks, out of interest i may want to dual boot using an external SSD via USB 3.2. Does anyone know if there are USB 3.2 slots on the tc-1660 and what if any read speed differences would be vs the existing SATA based HDD?
  • Balatekie
    Answer ✓
    JoeShmoe said:

Using the USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports you can boot OS using external SSD drive. 

Hope this helps You!!

Regards, 
    Balatekie

• JoeShmoe
    Thank you for your help, how can i get into the BIOS settings on boot to change the boot disk? from the desktop?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    It should be F2 to get into the BIOS where you will enable the F12 boot menu. If the EFI image you wish to boot from is signed then you can just use F12 then choose it from the list. If unsigned you will also have to disable Secure boot in the BIOS.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Falconidave
    Falconidave Member Posts: 6 New User
    Does anyone know where I might find a replacement cable that plugs into the #6 spots on the mobo? The SATA power 1 & 2. I need one with 2 full size SATA connectors for additional SSD's. Or does someone know anyone who can make them? TIA
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    I've always got them off of EBAY, search on "sata cable for acer tc-1660"

• Falconidave
    Larryodie said:
    I've always got them off of EBAY, search on "sata cable for acer tc-1660"

Thanks, tried that but nothing close came up.
  • billsey
    The Acer part number for the cable is: 50.VQED3.001. Search on that as well.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ksw_numed
    Ksw_numed Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Can I use ssd M.2 PCIe Gen4 for ACER DESKTOP TW ASPIRE TC-1660-1148G1T0Mi/T006?
  • Falconidave
    billsey said:
    That is exactly what I need. Thanks so much!!
  • billsey
    Ksw_numed said:
    Can I use ssd M.2 PCIe Gen4 for ACER DESKTOP TW ASPIRE TC-1660-1148G1T0Mi/T006?
    Please start a new thread (use the Ask a Question button) for your question, this thread has already been answered.
  • Falconidave
    billsey said:
    This one also works: 50.B64D1.001 Same cable but longer overall.
  • Falconidave
    billsey said:
    This one also works: 50.B64D1.001 Same cable but longer overall.
    Now, does anyone know if this cable will power 2 SSD's if I add another SATA power connector in-line?
  • billsey
    The cable should have two SATA power connectors and the socket it plugs into on the MB has enough juice to power two drives.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Falconidave

This kind of 6-pin connector cable should be good for two drives, unless you got the type with just three pin connector (which I think will only come with the PC), which will be good for just one drive.