Nitro 5 AN517-41-R7FP GPU is working fine, ok temperatures but the CPU is terrible

Taka
Taka Member Posts: 3 New User
This discussion was created from comments split from: How to cool my BRAND NEW Nitro AN517-41-R2KQ.

Comments

• Taka
    Hello, just bought a brand new  Acer Nitro 5 AN517-41-R7FP and guess what, has the same issues. As i'm writing this thread the CPU is at 75°C with 2700RPM and the GPU at 54°C with 3060 RPM. The GPU is working fine, ok temperatures but the CPU is terrible. While browsing online with AC at Balance and CoolBoost off the CPU is sitting constantly at 70-78°C and the fans roaring. Playing mid games it goes up to 91°C. The BIOS is so bad that i can't change the CPU's frequency as a method of cooling down the CPU as i saw on reddit.
    Any tips to solve this issue?
  • PeteZx
    PeteZx Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had exactly the same problem, and have found a solution by revealing the option 'Processor performance boost mode' in Control Panel, Power Options. This is normally hidden in Windows and I found out that it was set to 'Aggressive' default setting, causing the CPU to use boost clock even for simple tasks with CPU temperatures over 80C and high fan speeds. This method can also be found online with this link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4Fs-ZjlkA

Open registry editor (regedit.exe)
    Open ->
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Control, Power, PowerSettings

now look for and open folder beginning with 545325...
    now click folder beginning with be337238...
    right click on 'Attributes' in this folder and 'Modify' value from 1 to 2

Exit regedit.exe

Now go to Control Panel, System & Security, Power OPtions, Change PLan Settings, Change Advanced Power Settings

Now in the Advanced Settings window, open 'Processor power management' and  a new 'Processor performance boost mode' option is now displayed
    Options in here now are for the CPU Boost Clock and they are...
    Disabled
    Enabled
    Aggressive
    Efficient Enabled
    Efficient Aggressive
    Aggressive At Guaranteed
    EFficient Aggressive At Guaranteed

The default for both is Aggressive even when on battery power
    Change 'On battery' to 'Disabled'
    Change 'Plugged in' to 'Disabled' for max. reduction in CPU temp (65C instead of 90C)
    Try 'Efficient Enabled' for Turbo Boost in Games but as far as I can tell, it doesn't make any real difference as most of the graphics processing is taken up by the RTX 3060 GPU

• Taka
    PeteZx said:
    I had exactly the same problem, and have found a solution by revealing the option 'Processor performance boost mode' in Control Panel, Power Options. This is normally hidden in Windows and I found out that it was set to 'Aggressive' default setting, causing the CPU to use boost clock even for simple tasks with CPU temperatures over 80C and high fan speeds. This method can also be found online with this link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4Fs-ZjlkA

Open registry editor (regedit.exe)
    Open ->
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Control, Power, PowerSettings

now look for and open folder beginning with 545325...
    now click folder beginning with be337238...
    right click on 'Attributes' in this folder and 'Modify' value from 1 to 2

Exit regedit.exe

Now go to Control Panel, System & Security, Power OPtions, Change PLan Settings, Change Advanced Power Settings

Now in the Advanced Settings window, open 'Processor power management' and  a new 'Processor performance boost mode' option is now displayed
    Options in here now are for the CPU Boost Clock and they are...
    Disabled
    Enabled
    Aggressive
    Efficient Enabled
    Efficient Aggressive
    Aggressive At Guaranteed
    EFficient Aggressive At Guaranteed

The default for both is Aggressive even when on battery power
    Change 'On battery' to 'Disabled'
    Change 'Plugged in' to 'Disabled' for max. reduction in CPU temp (65C instead of 90C)
    Try 'Efficient Enabled' for Turbo Boost in Games but as far as I can tell, it doesn't make any real difference as most of the graphics processing is taken up by the RTX 3060 GPU

thank you for the feedback, i also set the maximum processor power at 80%, i'll get back with a update