How to reload windows A515-43

Options
2»

Answers

• Rluvswindows
    Rluvswindows Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    yes multiple times. I was able to boot to both HD win11 and win10 after upgrade. It work great for 3 days until it started acting up. To the point I lost access to my D:
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,788 Trailblazer
    Options
    Now show us the rest of the Disk Management window, the bottom portion that shows where on each drive the partitions are loaded is missing.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rluvswindows

Tinkerer

Options
    See attach

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options
    (1) Were you using msconfig or boot manager to switch back and forth between Win10 & Win11?

(2) Is secure boot still disabled in the BIOS?

(3) If you temporarily remove the m.2 card, does Win11 boot from the HDD?

Jack E/NJ

• Rluvswindows

Tinkerer

Options
    @JackE
    (1) Were you using msconfig or boot manager to switch back and forth between Win10 & Win11? Yes
    (2) Is secure boot still disabled in the BIOS? No
    3) If you temporarily remove the m.2 card, does Win11 boot from the HDD? No
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,788 Trailblazer
    Options
    OK< one problem is the 260MB EFI partition on the HDD. It shouldn't be there because you already have a normal 100MB EFI partition on the SSD. Make sure you have the F10 boot menu options enabled in the BIOS and choose to boot from the SSD. Once Windows is up and running (W10 I assume) then you will want to add more mount points to the EFI image. You want a mount point that uses the D : drive instead of the C:. That should give you the option to choose either at boot using F10 or go directly to the default without F10. My guess is you did the W11 install with the SSD removed? The installer should have seen the existing EFI partition if the SSD were installed, and added the boot point for you.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>(2) Is secure boot still disabled in the BIOS? No>>>>

What happens if you disable secure boot with m.2 card still disconnected?

Jack E/NJ

• Rluvswindows

Tinkerer

Options
    @ JackE
    I'm unable to change secure boot
  • JackE
    Options
    You must first set and save a supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password to disable secure boot.

Jack E/NJ

• Rluvswindows

Tinkerer

Options
    @JackE
    Secure boot disable still no access. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Exactly how did you upgrade to Win11 on the HDD, while at the same time trying to keep Win10 still installed on the SSD? I'm really looking for a step-by-step procedure that you used. The reason I ask is that the UEFI BIOS can only look at one EFI partition for instructions on whether to boot Win11 from the HDD or Win10 from the SSD.

I really can't tell from what you've posted so far is what EFI partition was being used when you claim it was dual booting back and forth between Win10 & Win11 via msconfig. And what happened to that EFI partition when it stopped working.

As it stands now, you risk losing being able to boot Win10 from the SSD if we try to force the BIOS use the EFI partition from the HDD. 

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Rluvswindows

Yes, we need more details how and what you did. 
    In the case of different Windows versions on one PC, when bootup, do you see a single page of two rather big icons indicating the two Windows versions?
    (Not to be confused with the two line entries from the F12 Boot Menu).

On the contrary with @Billsey and @JackE said, one of my laptops has one EFI partition with the main M.2 NVMe SSD for Win 10 and another EFI partition with a 2.5" SATA3 SSD with Linux and data partitions on it. I was able to boot to Windows or Linux at will from the F12 Boot Menu. Hope this will not add to your confusion.
  • Rluvswindows

Tinkerer

Options
    @ttttt
    I upgrade was the windows that came with my acer on SSD drive 128. The SATA was from an old laptop that broke which had a win10 os from lenovo. I kept both OS intact as dual boot but able to store my files on that sata drive. After the upgrade both OS work fine. After a few days it told me I didn't have rights to the sata drive. I hope that make sense.
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. That helps explain the problem. You don't have a valid Windows license to boot Windows from the Lenovo drive. The Windows boot license on that Lenovo drive is tied to the Lenovo's mainboard serial number, not the ACER's mainboard serial number. You can use the Lenovo drive as a D : \ drive, but not as a C : \ system drive as Microsoft will essentially de-activate it as a boot drive. This happens in about a week after using it as an unlicensed boot drive.

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Rluvswindows

Yes, I agree with @JackE, that is your problem source.

Having a total different hardware profile, the Lenovo should not be able to boot up from the Acer laptop from the beginning. Anyway, you managed to boot it up, which is a surprise already.