What M.2 Drive (or other type) does Acer Aspire1-A115-32-C28P support?

Options
Orvis
Orvis Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited November 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello, I recently purchased a ACER Aspire 1. I am upgrading the memory and have an additional stick on order but I want to add the M.2 drive. I have one but the computer Does Not recognize it when installed... Additional Note: I DO NOT RUN WINDOWS... I run Linux-Lite 5.6. I would like to remove the original drive but I do not see one or at least do not know where to look for it. Can anyone help me please....

​​​//Edited the content to hide serial number.

Best Answer

• Orvis
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

CASE CLOSED!   As you suggested the WD Blue drive worked. I ordered it and installed and as you can see the computer recognizes it fine.
    Again I THANK Everyone who replied and helped with this issue.  I guess my other drive was just not compatible with this new computer.....

I do not seem to be able to edit the title of this question to say SOLVED...  ? Oh well.... lol

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,486 Trailblazer
    edited November 2021
    Options
    This laptop supports a 2.5" HDD or SSD up to 2TB ---and--- an m.2 SATA card or m.2 NVME card also up to 2TB  --- and --- an emmc soldered on-board flash drive.

All 3 drives, if physicallly installed and functional, should show up in the BIOS Information tab. However many Linux installations and even live GPartEd sticks often only see sda (emmc or HDD0) and fail to recognize sdb or HDD1. In those cases, it is best to register with the specific Linux distribution forum, like LinLite, to seek guidance on whether or not the Linux file manager configs can be modified to see them.

Jack E/NJ

• IVAN_PC
    IVAN_PC ACE Posts: 7,495 Pathfinder
    Options
    Hi,

Your model would be compatible with Storage Subsystem
    Storage 1: EMMC / M.2 SSD 2280 (SATA / PCIe Gen3x4)

Regards.

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.
  • Orvis
    Options
    lackE & IVAN_PC Thank you for the reply and answers. I have standard size SSD's that I can use. I would need to purchase the connection cable to use it though. I believe it is:
    Acer CABLE HDD FFC 50.A9BN2.001 But when I look it up it say its for the
    Acer Nitro 7 AN715-51 AN715-51B Nitro 5 AN515-52 AN515-53 AN515-54 DH53F NBX0002C000 which make me wonder if it will work.... 

• Orvis
    Options
    I have this M2 drive but it does Not show in the BIOS...
  • JackE
    Options
    The correct 2.5" HDD or SSD  part no. is indeed 50.A9BN2.001 . It is used on many different ACER laptop models including the A115-32.

Please show a phone photo of the BIOS INFORMATION tab. If the Samsun m.2 card does not show up in the BIOS INFORMATION tab, then it is either not connected properly or defective.

Jack E/NJ

• Orvis
    edited November 2021
    Options
    The M2 drive works as a USB drive in an external USB Case perfectly and was in a LENIVO laptop prior. It is installed properly as there is only one way to install a keyed drive. It does not show up when installed in the computer though. I attach the three main screens of interest. I note that I cannot change Anything one the security screen....?  Again Thank you all for any help in this matter...
  • Orvis
    Options
    Attached shot of drive attached as USB:
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I note that I cannot change Anything one the security screen....?>>>

(1) Shut machine off, Remove the m.2 card.
    (2) Turn the machine back on and F2 into the BIOS menu again. Press F9 to load BIOS defaults. F10 to save defaults and exit. 
    (3) Shut machine off again. Still without m.2 card,  turn it back and F2 into the BIOS menu to see what BIOS defaults have been saved.
    (4) Do HDD1 none & HDD2 none still appear or not in INFORMATION tab?
    (5) Are they both enabled or disabled in ADVANCED tab?

Jack E/NJ

• Orvis
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I reset the Bios to Setup Defaults? There is not BIOS Defaults.  It reset some of the settings like time & Date, and some of the start up settings. The HHD still states no Drives (None installed) and both are enabled in the settings still.?  I'm at a total lose... Unless the m.2 drive is not Compatible with this computer... I attached photos of the drive I have. It works in the external case 100%.  I was looking at getting a SATA Cable Acer CABLE HDD FFC 50.A9BN2.001 and see if the Standard SATA drive will show in the bios...

• JackE
    Options
    (1) Was the m.2 card removed when press F9 to set defautls?

(2) Please take a phone photo of the empty m.2 socket

Jack E/NJ

• Orvis
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Yes the drive was removed prior to resetting the bios. I am not without experience. This computer just does not respond as any others I have had do. That is why I question the compatibility issues. I have an additional RAM stick on the way from New Egg. I'll install it when it arrives.

• JackE
    Options
    Sorry. The m2 socket image is blurry.  I can see it's an M-key socket but I can't see the number of pins to the right of the key. Does it have 4 or 5 pins?

Jack E/NJ

• Orvis
    Options
    4 pins to the right of the key.

• Orvis
    edited November 2021
    Options
    AND THERE IN LIES THE PROBLEM.... My m.2 Drive has 5 pins from the key.... A mismatch... I need a drive that will match the 4 pins from the key.

I can't understand why ACER is NOT forth coming with a correct matching part number for this computer... Even the SATA cable is a cat & mouse game....
  • Orvis
    Options
    So I see this ACER Predator GM7000 1TB SSD andit has 4 pins on the bottom side but 5 pins on the top side of the same drive....

Is there no standard?  This seems crazy...

• JackE
    Options
    Yes. The single M-slot NVME card is on the right when plugged into a single M-key NVME socket. Your Samsung is an older double B+M-slot SATA card  that should work in this NVMEsocket. The keyword is should since NVME sockets can be fussy about what gets plugged into them. Likely a bus timing issue.

m.2 SATA & NVME cards usually have 5 pin contacts to the right of the M-key, the 5th contact being reserved for special functions. It might be needed for 4X-SATA speed with an NVME card. Many non-gaming mainboards have only 4 pins but should accomodate the NVME albeit perhaps at 2X-SATA speeds.

So what's the problem here? I'm gonna guess that for some reason this older Samsung SATA card and the newer ACER NVME socket just don't want to work together. However, if it was my ACER, I'd want to test a newer NVME card in the socket just to make sure there isn't a problem with the bus. I'd probably go for a Western Digital 1TB NVME from Amazon. It should run perfect in this laptop. If it doesn't Amazon has easy returns.

Jack E/NJ

• Orvis
    Options
    The drive I have (above) has 5 pins on the top but 4 pins on the bottom.? It works in the external case I have but not in the computer. I guess I need to look into a new type drive.  Thanks to everyone who have replied.... I DO Appreciate it.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>The drive I have (above) has 5 pins on the top but 4 pins on the bottom.? >>>

m.2 SATA3 cards usually a B-slot 6pins from the edge and an M-slot 5 pins from the other edge. Your  drive seems to be different than a normal Samsung 128GB SATA card shown below.

Jack E/NJ

• Orvis
    Options
    See attached photos. The drive (as most do) has pins on top and bottom. My USB case only has pins that use the Bottom pins of the drive. The case is a single LEFT SIDE KEY. I  believe the computer is the same (IE: Pins only in the bottom of the slot. I ordered the WD Blue 1TB drive and it will arrive tomorrow and I'll try that one inside the computer and see if it works or not......

• JackE
    Options
    >>>My USB case only has pins that use the Bottom pins of the drive.>>>

Hold on! That does indeed look like an M-key socket but mounts the card chipface down. Does the card also insert easily face down ?

Jack E/NJ