Tc-1660 psu upgrade

Funfly3
Funfly3 Member Posts: 2 New User
I made the mistake of buying a tc-1660 with the idea of upgrading the graphics card, but turns out it only has a 300w psu and no cable for the card, I brought a gtx1660 ti , is it possible to upgrade the psu I don't nind cutting the case to fit or am I stuffed

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Funfly3

As far as I know, the TC-1660 using 12volt only power supply, which is still hard to find from the outside market other than Acer.

You may want to order from Acer for a 500W PSU for TC-1660 to use the graphics card.
  • Funfly3
    Funfly3 Member Posts: 2 New User
    it is a 12v only job :'( I have emailed support as i cant seem to find spare parts anywhere
  • Mr_Nice_B
    Mr_Nice_B Member Posts: 2 New User
    Unfortunately I have just made the same mistake.   I hope there is some option in the future, as this purchase was to replace a computer with a gtx 1660 that recently failed.   Now I've got an expensive piece of garbage that is only good for surfing the web.  :'(
  • ttttt
    @Mr_Nice_B and @Funfly3

If you guys type 12Vonly PSU in the search field at the top of the page here, you probably will see threads that other people having similar questions. I have seen other people asked this question before and @Billsey come up with the part number for them to order through Acer.

Time to do some homework.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    I have heard from some users that the Acer support people in some locales don't want to sell you a PSU from a different model to replace yours... So be careful how you word the request. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    edited October 2021
    Funfly3 said:
    I made the mistake of buying a tc-1660 with the idea of upgrading the graphics card, but turns out it only has a 300w psu and no cable for the card, I brought a gtx1660 ti , is it possible to upgrade the psu I don't nind cutting the case to fit or am I stuffed

The easiest way is to measure the max space that your TC-1660 case has for a PSU and search online for similar PSU’s of that wattage or higher (btw, the GTX 1660Ti Suggested PSU is 300W) and search for a PSU that also has the cables to power the GTX-1660Ti as there are PSU’s that have all the GPU cables that will fit and work with your TC-1660 and with the GTX-1660Ti.

• billsey
    Steven, the TC-1660 has a ATX12VO single rail supply, so most out there won't work without mods.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • anonsky
    anonsky Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2021
    Funfly3 said:
    upgrade the psu then, pre builts are not meant to have great psus. https://youtu.be/mFCMx_V9oaM this video is a great guide 
  • ttttt
    @anonsky

The video involved replacing standard ATX PSU for TC-885. That is not a 12 volt only PSU .

This video can be used as a reference on how to replace a PSU, and cannot be considered for TC-1660 PSU replacement.
  • anonsky

Tinkerer

ttttt said:
    @anonsky

The video involved replacing standard ATX PSU for TC-885. That is not a 12 volt only PSU .

This video can be used as a reference on how to replace a PSU, and cannot be considered for TC-1660 PSU replacement.
    12 volt? why do we need a 12 volt psu. video i sent seems to work perfectly fine, although a different model im sure they have the same mobo

• ttttt
    @anonsky

This thread was initiated by @Funfly3, having a TC-1660, which has a 12 volt only PSU.

You join in the thread with a video with standard ATX PSU replacement.

Apparently, you do not have the same PC as @Funfly3.
  • ttttt
    @anonsky

You said " although a different model im sure they have the same mobo".

I have to disagree with you, TC-1660 use a different motherboard for sure.
  • anonsky

Tinkerer

ttttt said:
    @anonsky

This thread was initiated by @Funfly3, having a TC-1660, which has a 12 volt only PSU.

You join in the thread with a video with standard ATX PSU replacement.

Apparently, you do not have the same PC as @Funfly3.
    is there any way to check whether my psu is a 12 volt or a standard ATX one? Mine is a 1660 with a i3 10105 not familiar with power supplies

• ttttt
    @anonsky
    Based on what you said, your PC probably using a standard ATX PSU.
    It is easy to check. 
    Take out the side panel and then the hard disk drive tray. 
    Look at the main power connectors to the motherboard. If it is a 24-pin connector, it is the standard ATX PSU type. 
    12 volt only PSUs do not have the 24-pin connector.
  • billsey
    All of the TC-1660 models use the same type of PSU. They are all designed to use the new 12VO supplies. That means the motherboard is designed to generate any other required voltages from the 12V supplied. It is somewhat more efficient than the old way of making all the different voltages in the PSU and saves a fair amount on cost as well. Intel requires that type of supply with new designs that want to have their sticker on them...
  • anonsky

Tinkerer

edited November 2021
    ttttt said:
    @anonsky
    Based on what you said, your PC probably using a standard ATX PSU.
    It is easy to check. 
    Take out the side panel and then the hard disk drive tray. 
    Look at the main power connectors to the motherboard. If it is a 24-pin connector, it is the standard ATX PSU type. 
    12 volt only PSUs do not have the 24-pin connector.
    bummer, found out its the bastardized 12 volt version. If I want to use a standard ATX one does it mean I need to switch the motherboard, and if I do what do you recommend.
     i wasted my money on this 
  • billsey
    You could probably use one of the old style supplies if it is high enough wattage and works when there's only a load on the +12V rail. You would have to come up with adapter cables to provide the correct voltage to the motherboard, and leave all the rest of the old style voltages disconnected.
  • anonsky

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    You could probably use one of the old style supplies if it is high enough wattage and works when there's only a load on the +12V rail. You would have to come up with adapter cables to provide the correct voltage to the motherboard, and leave all the rest of the old style voltages disconnected.
    im having issues understanding this answer 
  • billsey
    Old style ATX power supplies have a fairly large connector (typically 24 pin) that provides +5V, +12V, +3.3V, -5V, -12V, etc. to the motherboard. New power supply designs only provide +12V and the motherboard is supposed to convert that to all the other voltages needed. The TC-1660, as with most other new desktops, use the newer design and only need +12V power to run everything. On the TC-1660 motherboard there are two connectors for power from the supply. An 8 pin connector that has three +12V, three Ground, a PS_On and the associated Ground for it and a 6 pin connector that has three +12V and three Ground wires. If you wanted to replace the stock supply with one of the old style you would first have to verify the new supply has enough +12V available (somewhat more than 40A if replacing a 500W supply) and that the supply will work at all when there is only a load on the +12V wires. I've seen PSUs in the past that required a +5V load to even turn on... You would also have to convert the wiring from the 24 pin and the extra power connectors on the old style supply to match the two connectors the motherboard uses. The advantage to hacking things together like that is you would potentially have extra +12V amperage available to send directly to a GPU card, which would allow you to potentially run a higher end GPU than otherwise would be possible. The disadvantage is, of course, it will certainly void your warranty..
  • anonsky

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Old style ATX power supplies have a fairly large connector (typically 24 pin) that provides +5V, +12V, +3.3V, -5V, -12V, etc. to the motherboard. New power supply designs only provide +12V and the motherboard is supposed to convert that to all the other voltages needed. The TC-1660, as with most other new desktops, use the newer design and only need +12V power to run everything. On the TC-1660 motherboard there are two connectors for power from the supply. An 8 pin connector that has three +12V, three Ground, a PS_On and the associated Ground for it and a 6 pin connector that has three +12V and three Ground wires. If you wanted to replace the stock supply with one of the old style you would first have to verify the new supply has enough +12V available (somewhat more than 40A if replacing a 500W supply) and that the supply will work at all when there is only a load on the +12V wires. I've seen PSUs in the past that required a +5V load to even turn on... You would also have to convert the wiring from the 24 pin and the extra power connectors on the old style supply to match the two connectors the motherboard uses. The advantage to hacking things together like that is you would potentially have extra +12V amperage available to send directly to a GPU card, which would allow you to potentially run a higher end GPU than otherwise would be possible. The disadvantage is, of course, it will certainly void your warranty..
    "If you wanted to replace the stock supply with one of the old style you would first have to verify the new supply has enough +12V available (somewhat more than 40A if replacing a 500W supply) and that the supply will work at all when there is only a load on the +12V wires"

i am seriously confused by this sentence, what exactly is considered an old style psu? (is it this? https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/elite-series/elite-v3-230v-600w/) and why would i have to verify whether the new supply has enough 12v. 

im sorry if you feel frustrated but i am seriously unable to comprehend anything, i always thought you just need a psu with enough watts to power the components but with all these new old atx style, volts and pin or whatever i genuinely cant understand anything