Why is our Acer Aspire TC-780-UR1A running terribly slow?

Options
2»

Answers

• TheMutt06
    TheMutt06 Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

Options
    We have a 2GIG Barracuda drive installed.
  • TheMutt06

Tinkerer

Options
    Again, this is a fresh install of windows and the hard drive is still being utilized at 100% with nothing being opened or used.
  • TheMutt06

Tinkerer

Options
    Performance
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    @TheMutt06

You can check your cpu temp and cpu fan operation  to see if it’s overheating.  SSDs are much faster.  Good luck. 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/589682/cpu-overheating-aspire-tc-780

The link below can be useful for seeing what SSDs other people have installed. 

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • TheMutt06

Tinkerer

Options
    SSD drivers are much faster at operating at 100%?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,554 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>SSD drivers are much faster at operating at 100%? >>>

Absolutely. I don't think this 100% disk usage was mentioned before. If you're files are indeed being indexed, which is often default in a generic install, this can really slow down fat 2TB dogs like Baracuda HDDs. Big capacity mechanical drives, especially ones with puny builtin caches, will be running constantly. Accordingly, you can probably significantly cut disk usage by disabling file indexing or superfetching.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    My guess is when you boot up your antivirus is doing a scan in the background, which is what causes the 100% utilization. Once the scan is done things will drop back to normal. As the others suggest, using a SSD will be a major performance increase. You might also want to look at which antivirus packages you have installed. Even when 'disabled' they often drag the system down. I tend to just run Windows Defender on my systems for that reason.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    edited November 2021
    Options
    No non-Microsoft scanners running. That was covered a few days ago. The Intuit startup was disabled and helped decrease boot times. But claims HDD is 100% all the time. File indexing a fat HDD dog with a tiny RAM cache seems like a possible reason aside from a malware infection. 

Jack E/NJ

• TheMutt06

Tinkerer

Options
    Only run Windows defender for AV.  No addition software as it is a fresh install of Windows...nothing more besides Windows updates.
  • JackE
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Have you tried disabling file indexing and superfetching yet? If that speeds things up with ordinary tasking, you need to get an SSD. I prefer the WesternDigital blue series. The best bang for the buck seem to be in 2TB capacities for 2.5" SSDs. You'd need a desktop-2-laptop cable adapter. It can be easily mounted in the same 3.5" frame. I  only use antistat foam to take up the extra space in desktop mounts. Since your mainboard has an m.2 SATA card socket, your other option is m.2 SATA boot card up to 2TB and just use the Barracuda dog for extra storage capacity only. Also prefer the WesternDigital blue series m.2 cards.

Jack E/NJ