SSD Options AspireTC-885

thebreeze
thebreeze Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited October 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I have an AspireTC-885-ACCFLi5O DESKTOP-7JHQF5T, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz  2.81 GHz with 2 TB Hard Drive and 16GB installed ram, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. I am contemplating adding a SSD drive. What type and size would be a good choice and if I do install one would it be worth the cost? I use my computer mainly for web searching, forums, movies and email. I am can install hard drives, memory sticks, power units.graphic cards and general accessories but I do not have any experience installing a SSD drive on this computer. Guidance and general help will be appreciated.

Best Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    I get this from Googling. I would say that the 500GB ($59) should be big enough. Others can help with the installation process. 
    https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-tc-885-accfli5

• thebreeze
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Thank you Larrlodie. I will take a look at it.
  • Larryodie
    Answer ✓
    You may have a M.2 Slot on that unit as this post. 
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/567392/tc-885-accfli5o-ssd-as-boot-drive
  • Larryodie
    I'm finding more discussions re ssd on your unit,  when I search this blog. search TC-885-ACCFLi5O DESKTOP-7JHQF5T
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @thebreeze

I have a TC-885-UA91. You have not mentioned having a PCIe 3.0 x4  M.2 NVMe SSD but just a 2 TB HDD. I always suggest people to use M.2 NVMe SSD instead of the traditional, mechanical HDD (100-120 MB/s read), because the speed is like 20+ times faster with the x4 M.2 NVMe SSD (3,400 MB/s read). Using it as a boot drive will be a pleasure in comparing with a mechanical HDD boot.

However, accessing the M.2 slot to install the M.2 NVMe SSD needs more work to remove the HDD tray and the DVD drive first, non-technical people will probably found it to be a big project. There are some Youtube videos for that if you want to do it.

On the other side, adding a 2.5" SATA3 SSD is relatively simple. As long as the unused power connectors and wires are pulled out properly (can be tricky, be sure not to pull by force to break wire to the front panel), it is the matter of mounting the SATA SSD to the HDD tray with four screws and connect a data cable from motherboard to the SATA SSD and connect a still opened SATA power connector to the SATA SSD.

Here is a link of my previous discussion with other Acer Community members. 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/606254/aspire-tc-885-ua92-additional-ssd-drive-installation-instruction#latest

There is still a very good compromise though.
    Seemed like you are not a gamer, assuming you still have the PCIe x16 slot open, you can use a PCIe adapter putting a x4 M.2 NVMe SSD there at the x16 slot. TC-885 motherboards support booting OS with the x16 slot. I have tried different Linux OSs and even another Win 10 Enterprise to the x16 slot.

I agree with @Larryodie that 500GB is probably good enough for you, since you have 2TB HDD, which is more than enough for people who do not accumulate a lot of videos. Normally, a 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD will be slightly slower than 1 TB and 2 TB models because less cache being used.

If you decide to get a M.2 NVMe SSD, don't forget to get heat sink for better temperature. I always suggest people to use heat sinks for M.2 NVMe SSDs.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    And yes, the TC-885 models do have an M.2 slot that supports an NVMe x4 drive. If you have a spinning HDD in there now you might have an Intel Optane drive used to accelerate the HDD in the M.2 slot. You'll have a couple of extra steps to go through in order to upgrade your system form the HDD to the SSD in that case.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    No problem, keep us informed what you go for the upgrade. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @thebreeze

To use M.2 NVMe SSD, you may need to give up the Optane memory, as it occupied the M.2 slot already. Definitely worth it to use NVMe SSD than using the transition technology, the Optane memory.

Answers

• Larryodie
    Answer ✓
    I get this from Googling. I would say that the 500GB ($59) should be big enough. Others can help with the installation process. 
    https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-tc-885-accfli5

• thebreeze
  • Larryodie
    Answer ✓
    You may have a M.2 Slot on that unit as this post. 
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/567392/tc-885-accfli5o-ssd-as-boot-drive
  • Larryodie
    I'm finding more discussions re ssd on your unit,  when I search this blog. search TC-885-ACCFLi5O DESKTOP-7JHQF5T
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @thebreeze

I have a TC-885-UA91. You have not mentioned having a PCIe 3.0 x4  M.2 NVMe SSD but just a 2 TB HDD. I always suggest people to use M.2 NVMe SSD instead of the traditional, mechanical HDD (100-120 MB/s read), because the speed is like 20+ times faster with the x4 M.2 NVMe SSD (3,400 MB/s read). Using it as a boot drive will be a pleasure in comparing with a mechanical HDD boot.

However, accessing the M.2 slot to install the M.2 NVMe SSD needs more work to remove the HDD tray and the DVD drive first, non-technical people will probably found it to be a big project. There are some Youtube videos for that if you want to do it.

On the other side, adding a 2.5" SATA3 SSD is relatively simple. As long as the unused power connectors and wires are pulled out properly (can be tricky, be sure not to pull by force to break wire to the front panel), it is the matter of mounting the SATA SSD to the HDD tray with four screws and connect a data cable from motherboard to the SATA SSD and connect a still opened SATA power connector to the SATA SSD.

Here is a link of my previous discussion with other Acer Community members. 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/606254/aspire-tc-885-ua92-additional-ssd-drive-installation-instruction#latest

There is still a very good compromise though.
    Seemed like you are not a gamer, assuming you still have the PCIe x16 slot open, you can use a PCIe adapter putting a x4 M.2 NVMe SSD there at the x16 slot. TC-885 motherboards support booting OS with the x16 slot. I have tried different Linux OSs and even another Win 10 Enterprise to the x16 slot.

I agree with @Larryodie that 500GB is probably good enough for you, since you have 2TB HDD, which is more than enough for people who do not accumulate a lot of videos. Normally, a 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD will be slightly slower than 1 TB and 2 TB models because less cache being used.

If you decide to get a M.2 NVMe SSD, don't forget to get heat sink for better temperature. I always suggest people to use heat sinks for M.2 NVMe SSDs.
  • thebreeze
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    And yes, the TC-885 models do have an M.2 slot that supports an NVMe x4 drive. If you have a spinning HDD in there now you might have an Intel Optane drive used to accelerate the HDD in the M.2 slot. You'll have a couple of extra steps to go through in order to upgrade your system form the HDD to the SSD in that case.
  • thebreeze
    Thanks very much for all of the information. I will be looking into all of it. My system does have an Intel Optane drive installed. Thanks again.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    No problem, keep us informed what you go for the upgrade. :)
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @thebreeze

To use M.2 NVMe SSD, you may need to give up the Optane memory, as it occupied the M.2 slot already. Definitely worth it to use NVMe SSD than using the transition technology, the Optane memory.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)