Aspire TC 885 UA92 additional SSD drive installation instruction?

Options
Idicgrrl
Idicgrrl Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hey, sorry if this has been asked before. I am a total newbie and bought a awesome Aspire TC 885 UA92 with 512GB SSD drive already installed. I bought a WD  2.5" SATA 1TB SSD drive. I also bought a Corsair 3.5" mounting bracket and after opening the desktop case, I'm not sure how to proceed. The bracket doesn't seem to fit. I'm stumped. Thanks for all your help!! 

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    I have a TC885-UA91, though a different sub model, but I believe the difference is the processor only.

If you are totally non-technical person and do not care about the look, you can just put this 2.5" SATA SSD to the silver small tray at the back of the CD/DVD drive. First, use the additional data cable came with your computer. Plug the cable to one of the SATA3 connectors (currently blocked from view by the small tray in your photo) of the the motherboard. The other side goes to the 2.5" SATA SSD. Second, put the 2.5" SATA SSD with the connector facing out and put it to the tray. There should be a power connector there ( in your photo it is also hidden from view too), and you insert this power connector to the still open connector of your 2.5" SATA SSD. Now, how to fix it to the tray? Just use a couple piece of 2" masking tape or gorilla tape to affix the SSD to the tray and you are all done. That may not look good but it will work.

If you want to be technical, you can try pull out the unused power wires close to the front panel (also hidden from view of your photo). Let me forewarn you that, you should not try to pull it out by force. There may be power connector tangled up with a front panel wire(blue and white color), and that front panel wire may be tied together with the power wires to be pulled out.
    So, be careful about it. If you succeed in pulling the power wires out, you can use one of the connectors to connect your 2.5" SSD and put it to the big piece of metal plate that you took out ( not in these two photos). For TC885-UA91 there is such a big metal plate. I believe TC885-UA92 should have it too. On the metal plate, you should see imprints "HDD1" and "HDD2". Put the 2.5" SSD (with connected data cable and power connector from wires just pulled out) with the four screws and mount it to one of the two slots of this big metal plate, and you are all set. Put the big piece metal plate back, of course!
    I don't use mounting bracket (and you don't need it from the beginning), so I am not going to comment on bracket mounting.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yours is looking a little funny... This is what the drive tray normally looks like in the TC-885. The HDDs use the mounting holes to hold the drive in place. With your bracket you'll mount the drive upside down so you can use the threaded holes in the bottom of the bracket.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.