Acer Aspire E5-571 touchpad not working

Quacky
Quacky Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
I've tried installing the drivers from the acer website still not working.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,832 Trailblazer
    (1) Shut down Windows normally.
    (2) Unplug charger.
    (3) Insert paperclip into reset pinhole on bottom for 60 seconds.
    (4) Plug charger back in.
    (5) Wait for  battery charge LED to turn from solid orange to solid blue
    (6) Turn machine on and immediately tap F2 key to enter BIOS menu
    (7) Press F9 to load BIOS defaults
    (8) Press F10 to save defaults and exit BIOS
    (9) Touchpad should be working again after Windows boots

Jack E/NJ

• Quacky
    I cant find any pinhole on the bottom.
  • Quacky
  • JackE
    No pinhole,? Jst release and disconnect the battery for the same amount of time. Follow all the steps.

Jack E/NJ

• Quacky
    JackE said:
    No pinhole,? Jst release and disconnect the battery for the same amount of time. Follow all the steps.

Okay, I'll try it out. 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    edited October 2021
    Hi @Quacky,

Hold down the FN key and press F7, or whichever function key with the touchpad icon. If the touchpad has been disabled, this should enable the touchpad.
  • Quacky
    JackE said:

I followed the steps but its still not working. I also triedfn+f7 still not working.
  • Quacky
    And its not a hardware issue because this worked before it was formated.
  • Quacky

Please install the i/o drivers first and then install the touch pad drivers..  

Try fn + f6 or f6 alone  or  fn + f7 or f7 alone on keyboard to disable and enable the touchpad. 

Please look at the key f6 and f7 key on keyboard. You can see the hand symbol with fingers. That denotes the touchpad function key. On some models it will be on f6 and some models it will be on f7. So we need to use the right key depending upon the laptop model. If fn + f7 is not working then we have to use f7 alone to make it to work. On some old laptop models there will be a separate button right  next to touch pad area which is below the space bar.  It is used to turn on and off the touch pad.  On some old models it will be right next to power button. On all new models, f7 key is used to enable and disable the touch pad.  If you would like to disable and enable the touchpad, please press and hold  fn key on the keyboard and then press f6 or f7 once. If the touchpad is not getting disabled you can either press f6 alone or f7 alone without holding the fn key. It is used to enable or disable the touchpad..    

After disabling and enabling the touchpad check how it is working.. 

If it is still not working 
    Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers - Install the i/o drivers first and then install the touch pad driver 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE
    About how long ago did it stop working?

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    >>>And its not a hardware issue because this worked before it was formated. >>>

Hold on! Why did you format the boot drive? Did you also wipe out the hidden ACER factory reset partition? Did you install the generic Microsoft Win10 version?The generic version is NOT the same system as the ACER OEM Win10 factory installation that was specifically meant for the proprietary ACER hardware.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Quacky,

Try to reset the windows. 
  • JackE

Hold on! Why did you format the boot drive? Did you also wipe out the hidden ACER factory reset partition? Did you install the generic Microsoft Win10 version?The generic version is NOT the same system as the ACER OEM Win10 factory installation that was specifically meant for the proprietary ACER hardware.

Jack E/NJ

• Quacky
    @Quacky

Please install the i/o drivers first and then install the touch pad drivers..  

Try fn + f6 or f6 alone  or  fn + f7 or f7 alone on keyboard to disable and enable the touchpad. 

Please look at the key f6 and f7 key on keyboard. You can see the hand symbol with fingers. That denotes the touchpad function key. On some models it will be on f6 and some models it will be on f7. So we need to use the right key depending upon the laptop model. If fn + f7 is not working then we have to use f7 alone to make it to work. On some old laptop models there will be a separate button right  next to touch pad area which is below the space bar.  It is used to turn on and off the touch pad.  On some old models it will be right next to power button. On all new models, f7 key is used to enable and disable the touch pad.  If you would like to disable and enable the touchpad, please press and hold  fn key on the keyboard and then press f6 or f7 once. If the touchpad is not getting disabled you can either press f6 alone or f7 alone without holding the fn key. It is used to enable or disable the touchpad..    

After disabling and enabling the touchpad check how it is working.. 

If it is still not working 
    Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers - Install the i/o drivers first and then install the touch pad driver 

Yes I tried that already. Still not working.
  • Quacky
    edited October 2021
    Easwar said:
    Hi @Quacky,

Try to reset the windows. 
    I've tried resetting it many times. I've also tried windows 7, windows 8, and 11.

edit: windows 8.1 and not 8
  • Quacky
    JackE said:
    About how long ago did it stop working?
    About a week ago. Right after formatting the hard drive.
  • Quacky
    JackE said:

I used a usb with windows 10 in it. I wiped everything from the drive.
  • Quacky
    JackE said:

Im not sure if I wiped out the hidden partition. But if its hidden I probably wasn't able to wipe it out. I download windows 10 from the official site.
  • JackE
    The problem is that the hidden OEM partition is often rendered unusable or inaccessible after a generic Win10 installation since the latter changes the overall partition structure of the original drive. None the less, we can try to access it.

(1) Shut the computer down.
    (2) Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu.
    (3) In the BIOS Main tab, make sure both the F12 and D2D options are enabled.
    (4) Then in the BIOS Security  tab, set and save a supervisor password.
    (5) Then press F10 to save settings and exit the BIOS menu
    (6) Then shut the computer down again.
    (7) Turn the machine back on and immediatel press F2 to re-enter the BIOS menu with the supervisor password.
    (8) Disable secure boot.
    (9) Press F10 to save settings and exit the BIOS menu again
    (10) Then shut the machine down once again
    (11) Turn the machine back on and immediatlely press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key
    (12) If the hidden OEM partition is still accessible, an OEM reset men should appear. Follow directions for an OEM factory reset.

Jack E/NJ

• Quacky
    JackE said:
    The problem is that the hidden OEM partition is often rendered unusable or inaccessible after a generic Win10 installation since the latter changes the overall partition structure of the original drive. None the less, we can try to access it.

(1) Shut the computer down.
    (2) Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu.
    (3) In the BIOS Main tab, make sure both the F12 and D2D options are enabled.
    (4) Then in the BIOS Security  tab, set and save a supervisor password.
    (5) Then press F10 to save settings and exit the BIOS menu
    (6) Then shut the computer down again.
    (7) Turn the machine back on and immediatel press F2 to re-enter the BIOS menu with the supervisor password.
    (8) Disable secure boot.
    (9) Press F10 to save settings and exit the BIOS menu again
    (10) Then shut the machine down once again
    (11) Turn the machine back on and immediatlely press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key
    (12) If the hidden OEM partition is still accessible, an OEM reset men should appear. Follow directions for an OEM factory reset.

I followed all the steps but still can't access the hidden partition so I guess it was wiped too. Nothing happens when I press alt+f10. I've already enabled d2d and f12 and disabled secure boot and set a supervisor password.