E5-575G screen blacklight goes out

Choatey
Choatey Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi folks,

Recently, my kid dropped my Aspire E5-575G and cracked the screen. No problem, I ordered a new screen and replaced it. However, since replacement, the screen will go blank after 10-20 seconds. This typically occurs when in Windows, but I have also had it occur when booted on the Acer load screen. Toggling Fn+F6 will cause the screen to come back on to a normal state. 10-20 seconds later, it'll go black again. On battery, the screen will also flicker occasionally. Also, closing the lid, and then reopening works like the Fn+F6.

I suspect that this may be an inverter issue, but was curious to see if anyone else has experienced, or solved this kind of issue, before I go further in replacing parts.
Also worth noting, at one point when reconnection the lcd cable to the screen, I was getting the screen going very dark, but I could still see the outline of objects on the screen. My current reconnection just has it going black, with no objects.

I have tried;
-Removing and reinstalling the lcd cable at the screen end. I can hear the clicks as it goes it. 
-Checking the other end of the lcd cable, but nothing obvious there
-Trying with/without power in
-Resetting the battery via the pinhole
-I have set power options to never turn off

Any suggestions on solutions or troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Answers

• Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @Choatey
    ch​eck if there is a pin 📌hole at the bottom of the unit. Put a small pin inside and press and hold the pin for 30sec.  If there is no pin hole then press the power button for 12sec. Remember to remove your charger when you do that.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    >>>Also worth noting, at one point when reconnection the lcd cable to the screen, I was getting the screen going very dark, but I could still see the outline of objects on the screen. My current reconnection just has it going black, with no objects.>>>

This is a no-no if you mean that the screen was reconnected while the mainboard was hot. The intermittent symptoms you describe are likely related to the video cable wire traces or its connectors to the mainboard and inverter board. The wires often develop breaks in the hinge area due to wear and tear of opening & closing the lid too much. Replacements are less than $25.

Jack E/NJ

• Choatey
    Hi @Choatey
    ch​eck if there is a pin 📌hole at the bottom of the unit. Put a small pin inside and press and hold the pin for 30sec.  If there is no pin hole then press the power button for 12sec. Remember to remove your charger when you do that.
    Thanks for the suggestion @Acer-Erick. I had tried this previously, and, unfortunately it did not make a discernable difference. I also tried to again today after letting the battery drain down, to try another variable. Again, no success.
  • Choatey
    JackE said:
    >>>Also worth noting, at one point when reconnection the lcd cable to the screen, I was getting the screen going very dark, but I could still see the outline of objects on the screen. My current reconnection just has it going black, with no objects.>>>

This is a no-no if you mean that the screen was reconnected while the mainboard was hot. The intermittent symptoms you describe are likely related to the video cable wire traces or its connectors to the mainboard and inverter board. The wires often develop breaks in the hinge area due to wear and tear of opening & closing the lid too much. Replacements are less than $25.
    Hi @JackE - poor phrasing on my part here. I disconnected and reconnected the lcd cable with the laptop off. Then repowered the laptop and had the change in result.

I'm curious about it being a wire break. In that circumstance, would that be something like the intact wires are able to power and transmit the display data, but a wire that carries a type of latch On signal is faulty? That would match a Fn+F6 toggle sending a pulse signal to be on, but not a latch. I'm trying to reconcile in my mind a faulty wire allows the screen to energize and transmit the right signal, then fail, in a consistent manner.

Having said that - its cheap and worthwhile to try. Its a non-touch screen, so I assume Part 50.GDEN7.001 would do the trick. (Note: Hats off to you JackE because I got that part number from another user you were helping here).

Also, JackE and Acer-Erick, thankyou for the quick replies - its much appreciated.