My acer aspire 5 gpu MX350 is working but whenever it does, the cpu speed is decreasing

Options
KiritoKun
KiritoKun Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

edited February 5 in Aspire Laptops
hello everyone I have a issue with my acer aspire series 5 gpu mx 350 whenever I am running the gpu is not maxed out neither is it performing well. While it is running a game the cpu speed drops to 0.06ghz which then starts stuttering and then crashes. I have no clue why is this happening and this is my first ever acer product I bought this year  May , I gave it for fixing twice but the issue is continuing I am very disappointed in this product and service. Pls help me out and thanks!!!!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    Try this. Right click battery icon in the tray. Click power options. Click change plan settings. Click advanced power options. Click processor power mgt folder. Click max processor state. Change settings to 90% on battery and plugged in.

Jack E/NJ

• KiritoKun

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok I will try that. Thanks for responding
  • KiritoKun

Tinkerer

Options
    Nope not working I still have the same issue and due to this I normally keep the gpu disabled through device manager
  • KiritoKun

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Try this. Right click battery icon in the tray. Click power options. Click change plan settings. Click advanced power options. Click processor power mgt folder. Click max processor state. Change settings to 90% on battery and plugged in.
    not working still same issue
  • JackE
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Open Control Panel. Search 'power plan' . Click 'choose a power plan' in left pane. Click 'create a power plan' again in left pane. Chose 'high performance' plan instead of balanced. Don't turn gpu off.

Jack E/NJ

• KiritoKun

Tinkerer

Options
    I am already on high performance.
  • JackE
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Don't disable GPU!!! Make sure the maximum CPU and GPU power states are set to 90% in your power plan. If you're still having issues then re-install the games. Then register/join  one of the game user forums and ask questions about game settings are correct for your machine. Since Windows Device Manager does not detect any hardware or driver issues, then it's likely that game software settings are the main issue not your laptop. 

Jack E/NJ

• KiritoKun

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    Options
    I upgraded to a better laptop to get better performance but it just wont run anything I want it to, My old pc could atleast run the game and I bought this thinking I can finally do editing and play games, thinking that it wont lag. I have reinstalled already all my games once. Since, I play esport games it easy to run and can almost run in any laptop. Acer first told that the drivers were disabled. I won't disable gpu but the issue is if I keep it on anything which requires it will just stutter and I have keep on restarting, Then it is just a endless loop. I have actually asked for a replacement they keep on saying there is no hardware issues, whenever they test.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>they keep on saying there is no hardware issues, whenever they test.>>>

And Windows DeviceManager confirms this. And I think so too from all your descriptions. So It's likely the game software simply can't effectively use the CPU GPU hardware and/or latest Windows updates as they're currently configured.  As noted above, I strongly suggest you post your issues on the game user forums. Something in the game software is obviously triggering this CPU behavior which just as obviously doesn't have a hardware problem since the CPU doesn't display this behavior when the game is NOT running.

Jack E/NJ

• KiritoKun

Tinkerer

Options
    I have 5 games and all of then has the same issue. I think this could be a cpu/integrated graphics issue but even if it says 100fps I will be having a 30fps experience. The speed is still dropping of the cpu whenever I use the gpu.
  • JackE
    Options
    I still don't think you have a hardware issue.  What screen & resolution are you using? Laptop screen or external?

Jack E/NJ

• KiritoKun

Tinkerer

Options
    I have a 1080p laptop screen
  • JackE
    Options
    (1) Is it an external monitor or Laptop screen?

(2) What what resolution do you have it set for?

Jack E/NJ

• KiritoKun

Tinkerer

Options
    (1)Yes, it is a laptop screen

(2)1920 x 1080p
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>While [mx350] is running a game the cpu speed drops to 0.06ghz which then starts stuttering and then crashes. >>>

How long does it take after starting game does it take for the CPU speed to drop? A few seconds? A few minutes?

Jack E/NJ

• KiritoKun

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    Options
    After few seconds cpu speed starts dropping. If it was few minutes I would say it is a thermal issue but thermals are fine and it is not overheating.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>>>>While [mx350] is running a game the cpu speed drops to 0.06ghz which then starts stuttering and then crashes. >>>

What do you mean by crash? Laptop shuts off? Blue screen? Game doesn't respond and must force close with TaskManager?

Jack E/NJ

• KiritoKun

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    Options
    I will get poor fps it becomes smooth for few seconds and drops again after a while the system just gets stuck. I went through nvidia forums where I saw the gpu(GTX960m) clockspeed stuck at 405mhz on asus laptop, because I have a mx series card I don't know should I follow the forums or not. Should I uninstall 
    the gpu drivers through safe mode and and do fresh install of drivers, in the forums they were complaining about latest driver issues and switching to older could help.

• JackE
    Options
    >>>>I have no clue why is this happening and this is my first ever acer product I bought this year  May>>>
    >>>the forums they were complaining about latest driver issues and switching to older could help.>>>

Does this mean that you updated the drivers in May? If yes, why did you do this?

Jack E/NJ

• KiritoKun

Tinkerer

Options
    I normally keep every drivers up to date. I thought it was good for your pc cause it can fix performance issues.
This discussion has been closed.