Acer Aspire A515-45 R382 --- Battery charging limit

Fx
Fx Member Posts: 2 New User
Hello,

I know, that I could define a max. battery charging level on my Laptop with the Acer Care Center on Windows. ( Acer Aspire A515-45 R382 )

But I have installed Linux Manajro with latest stable 5.13 Kernel.
Is there any way to set that Limit on Linux?

Like on Thinkpads with
START_CHARGE_TRESH_BAT1
STOP_CHARGE_TRESH_BAT1

in /sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/ ? But I cant see any options on my machine.

The hardware can handle that with Acer Care Center on WIndows, but how to set that values on Linux?

Thanks

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>I know, that I could define a max. battery charging level on my Laptop with the Acer Care Center on Windows.>>>>>>This model has a FreeDos pre-installed, I installed manjaro directly after delivery, so windows was never installed.>>>

I'm not sure how you know this when Windows was never installed on your laptop. Do you perhaps have a friend with the same laptop and ACER-factory Windows installed that has the care center already installed?

No current Linux distros natively support an auto-limiter except possibly for two other manufacturers. Despite popular internet opinion, evidence promoting them is mainly anecdotal.  Their main benefit seem to be making laptop users feel better, not affecting the battery.

However if you are an auto-limiter believer anyway, you might try to copy the entire installed ACER Care Center from your friend's  program_files(x86) subfolder into your Linux system. All the required dll and other Windows system files seem to be self-contained in this subfolder.  Then install the WINE overlay. Then try to run the CareCenter.exe executable under WINE.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Did you wipe Windows or dual booting?

Jack E/NJ

• Fx
    Fx Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    Did you wipe Windows or dual booting?

This model has a FreeDos pre-installed, I installed manjaro directly after delivery, so windows was never installed.

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>I know, that I could define a max. battery charging level on my Laptop with the Acer Care Center on Windows.>>>>>>This model has a FreeDos pre-installed, I installed manjaro directly after delivery, so windows was never installed.>>>

I'm not sure how you know this when Windows was never installed on your laptop. Do you perhaps have a friend with the same laptop and ACER-factory Windows installed that has the care center already installed?

No current Linux distros natively support an auto-limiter except possibly for two other manufacturers. Despite popular internet opinion, evidence promoting them is mainly anecdotal.  Their main benefit seem to be making laptop users feel better, not affecting the battery.

However if you are an auto-limiter believer anyway, you might try to copy the entire installed ACER Care Center from your friend's  program_files(x86) subfolder into your Linux system. All the required dll and other Windows system files seem to be self-contained in this subfolder.  Then install the WINE overlay. Then try to run the CareCenter.exe executable under WINE.

Jack E/NJ