Acer Aspire A515 51G stuck on Acer logo after motherboard replacement

Options
ballesterosj
ballesterosj Member Posts: 20

Tinkerer

I recently got my damaged motherboard replaced with another motherboard from another Acer Aspire A515 51G. I looked on other forums and other Acer Community submissions, but none of them seem to have worked. Resetting BIOS, running diagnostics, attempting to boot into safe mode has not worked. Before this happened I managed to boot twice, but after being prompted to restart the laptop, this problem has started occuring. 

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    >>>I tried to repair Win10 >>>I remember trying to boot into safe mode before resetting anything and I still blue screened, but i dont remember the stop code, i believe its safe to assume that it was still inaccessible boot device. >>>

Yes. That's exactly why I don't think repair will work in this case. The irst mode & optane card has complicated or otherwise made a mess of booting from the HDD. You need to remove the optane card, set the BIOS to AHCI mode and only then completely re-install Windows from the USB stick. If you have any personal data on the HDD that you want to try to save, you should attach it to another PCs USB port with a 2.5" USB-to-HDD adapter (less than $10)  and copy these personal files off before doing this.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I recently got my damaged motherboard replaced with another motherboard from another Acer Aspire A515 51G. I looked on other forums and other Acer Community submissions, but none of them seem to have worked. Resetting BIOS, running diagnostics, attempting to boot into safe mode has not worked. Before this happened I managed to boot twice, but after being prompted to restart the laptop, this problem has started occuring. 

Get the USB windows installation USB and boot from that and choose “Troubleshoot” then take your laptop back to a previous restore point

• JackE
    Options
    >>>Before this happened I managed to boot twice>>>

Have you added a replaceable memory module? If yes, remove it and see if it boots on the soldered RAM alone.

Jack E/NJ

• ballesterosj

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:

Get the USB windows installation USB and boot from that and choose “Troubleshoot” then take your laptop back to a previous restore point

I tried to take it back to a restore point, but it took a couple of hours before I shut it down as it was taking too long. I might be impatient but I'm sure it was frozen.
  • ballesterosj

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>Before this happened I managed to boot twice>>>

Have you added a replaceable memory module? If yes, remove it and see if it boots on the soldered RAM alone.
    I did add 4gb of additional ram, but even after taking it out it still will not boot.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options
    StevenGen said:

I tried to take it back to a restore point, but it took a couple of hours before I shut it down as it was taking too long. I might be impatient but I'm sure it was frozen.

You have to wait until that restore process finishes, it may take a long time as the OS needs to reset and repair which unfortunately and with windows can take a long time. Be patient and let us know if it works? Also and if you can get into the BIOS first? Go to “Exit” and then choose “Load Setup Default” and then exit and reboot before attempting the restore procedure from the windows installation USB.

• ballesterosj

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:

You have to wait until that restore process finishes, it may take a long time as the OS needs to reset and repair which unfortunately and with windows can take a long time. Be patient and let us know if it works? Also and if you can get into the BIOS first? Go to “Exit” and then choose “Load Setup Default” and then exit and reboot before attempting the restore procedure from the windows installation USB.

I managed to get the restore point, but it still stuck on the Acer screen.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I recently got my damaged motherboard replaced with another motherboard from another Acer Aspire A515 51G. >>>

Did both of the motherboards and their HDDs originally have the same ACER factory-installed operating system? Did you try to change the ACER factory-installed operating system on the existing HDD?

Jack E/NJ

• ballesterosj

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>I recently got my damaged motherboard replaced with another motherboard from another Acer Aspire A515 51G. >>>

Did both of the motherboards and their HDDs originally have the same ACER factory-installed operating system? Did you try to change the ACER factory-installed operating system on the existing HDD?
    Yes they did. I tried the other hdd instead and the booted up instantly which makes sense considering that hdd came with the replaced motherboard. I will test my hdd (the one that isn't booting) on my old motherboard to see if there are any problems with it.
  • ballesterosj

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:

Yes they did. I tried the other hdd instead and the booted up instantly which makes sense considering that hdd came with the replaced motherboard. I will test my hdd (the one that isn't booting) on my old motherboard to see if there are any problems with it.
    At the moment it is not being recognized as a boot drive, however in the BIOS it is recognized as HDD0. But it doesn't appear in file explorer.
  • JackE
    Options
    Better post a phone photo of the BIOS Information tab if possible. Also, open the elevated command prompt. Enter 'diskpart;. At the diskpart prompt, enter 'list volume'. Post a screen shot of the result if possible

Jack E/NJ

• ballesterosj

Tinkerer

edited August 2021
    Options
    JackE said:
    Better post a phone photo of the BIOS Information tab if possible. Also, open the elevated command prompt. Enter 'diskpart;. At the diskpart prompt, enter 'list volume'. Post a screen shot of the result if possible

Sorry for the late reply, I also forgot to mention that I have 20gb m.2 intel optane memory installed as well. Changing the SATA mode to RST would result in the hard drive not being detected as a boot device.

//Edited the content to hide serial.no information.​    ​
  • ballesterosj

Tinkerer

edited August 2021
    Options
    JackE said:
    Better post a phone photo of the BIOS Information tab if possible. Also, open the elevated command prompt. Enter 'diskpart;. At the diskpart prompt, enter 'list volume'. Post a screen shot of the result if possible

Sorry for the late reply, I also forgot to mention that I have 20gb m.2 intel optane memory installed as well. Changing the SATA mode to RST would result in the hard drive not being detected as a boot device.

//Edited the content to hide serial.no information.​    ​
    I noticed something strange in the BIOS. Everytime I perform a system restore or something similar, whenever I reset the BIOS to default settings I catch the UUID text appearing from empty to showing me the UUID in the corner of my eye.
  • JackE
    Options
    At the diskpart prompt, enter 'list disk'. Post screenshot of result.

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does the same problem occur when disconnecting the optane memory? What happens when you press alt+f10 before the acer logo?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> Changing the SATA mode to RST would result in the hard drive not being detected as a boot device. >>>

Yes, the optane isn't being used if this is true. Get rid of optane. It only confuses things. It was not one of Intel's better ideas.

Jack E/NJ

• ballesterosj

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    At the diskpart prompt, enter 'list disk'. Post screenshot of result.
    Here is the result of list disk, i definitely had more than 9mb left.
  • ballesterosj

Tinkerer

Options
    Does the same problem occur when disconnecting the optane memory? What happens when you press alt+f10 before the acer logo?
    When i press alt+f10 before the acer logo i get taken to the recovery settings.
  • JackE
    Options
    Is the diskpart 'list disk' result also with optane removed?

Jack E/NJ

• ballesterosj

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Is the diskpart 'list disk' result also with optane removed?
    No, but here it is removed
  • JackE
    edited August 2021
    Options
    >>>When i press alt+f10 before the acer logo i get taken to the recovery settings. >>>

If you can get to the recovery screen with the optane card removed as egydiocoelho suggested AND BIOS in AHCI mode, I think you should try to reset the system from the recovery screen.

Jack E/NJ