Aspire stuck on acer logo after sleep/hibernation

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    >>> I can boot from an USB drive or other drive.>>>

OK. Good. Just wanted to rule out a RAM module failure because they display similar symptoms. But what do you mean by you can boot from 'other drive' (besides a bootable USB drive) ? A bootable DVD disc?

As to your question, we need access to a functional machine with a USB port to examine the old HDD. If you don't have access, then we need to first install Windows on a new HDD to get your machine functional.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    If the drive is corrupted, and you could easily be right there, you just need to boot from an Windows install flash drive using the F12 boot menu. Once booted you can choose the Repair option which gives you the tools to recover as much as possible from the drive and then you can attempt a Windows reinstall. If the drive itself is good that should get you back to normal. If the drive is bad then a replacement can hold the reinstall.
    Start by using the command prompt and diskpart to see if the drive is recognized and the correct partitions are there. Then use the command prompt to see if you can access the files on the system partition (it may or may not be C: in the repair environment). If you can, then copy the important data to another flash drive or to an external HDD. Once you have your data backed up you can start with repair options.
    It is likely, based on the symptoms, that the EFI partition isn't getting a good read. That can be corrupted data on the partition (either from malware or a drive glitch) or just inability to read those sectors. If the data is corrupted you can wipe it and rebuild that partition to get you back up and running.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Eugen4
    Eugen4 Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

As to your question, we need access to a functional machine with a USB port to examine the old HDD. If you don't have access, then we need to first install Windows on a new HDD to get your machine functional.

I have another machine and the USB adapter, what other software do i need? I tried to "repair' option but  it said that is unable to repair it. The drive is working mechanically my goal is to recover my pictures saved on the drive that can't replace. 
    I tried to "look" under the command prompt but the C: was unreadable. That's where I stopped, not sure how to recover the data from the drive if it's not visible by the operating system. 
  • Eugen4

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Start by using the command prompt and diskpart to see if the drive is recognized and the correct partitions are there. Then use the command prompt to see if you can access the files on the system partition (it may or may not be C: in the repair environment). If you can, then copy the important data to another flash drive or to an external HDD. Once you have your data backed up you can start with repair options.

What are the actual commands to use? I dont want to accidentally write it over if i use the wrong command or the wrong parameter to a command...

thank you all for the support!! 

• JackE
    edited July 2021
    Eugen4You already unsuccessfully tried the repair option from the USB Windows advanced option stick. It gave you a device not working error message. See below

With the old HDD plugged into the USB port,  go to the elevated command prompt. Enter 'diskpart'. At the diskpart prompt, enter 'list disk'. Please post  an image of the result.

Jack E/NJ

• Eugen4

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Eugen4You already unsuccessfully tried the repair option from the USB Windows advanced option stick. It gave you a device not working error message. See below

With the old HDD plugged into the USB port,  go to the elevated command prompt. Enter 'diskpart'. At the diskpart prompt, enter 'list disk'. Please post  an image of the result.

It shows both disks:

• JackE
    OK. Looks halfway decent so far. At the diskpart prompt enter 'list volume' then post photo of result if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• Eugen4

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    OK. Looks halfway decent so far. At the diskpart prompt enter 'list volume' then post photo of result if possible.

Here's what I've got

• JackE
    The bad HDD partitions are E : \  #3 partition and its hidden system partition #4 which now cannot be read anymore by Windows or even by the good hidden ACER recovery partition #4. This sometimes happens with an errant Win update or a power disruption during an update and sometimes for no apparent reasons. The binary '1s & 0s' data is still there and intact, but just can't be put together by Windows so a human can read it.

There are several options to try to recover the data shown in this link but none are guaranteed to work. About the best RAW recovery tool I'm familiar is easeus. It can often convert the E : \ 3 partition back to NTFS so its readable to copy your personal files. It can also recover the hidden system partition 4 back to FAT32 so it's even bootable again.

If it was my decision, I'd focus only on making E : \  readable so I can get my personal stuff off ASAP. I'd go with the easeus RAW recovery tool to do this.  I might also try to make it bootable again. But because of the uncertainty of what actually caused this, I wouldn't trust this HDD again even if I could get it back up and running. Just not worth the risk.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    Yes, Jack has the right idea here. If you were booted normally Volume 1 would be your EFI partition, Volume 2 would be the recovery software partition, Volume 3 your system (C: drive) and volume 5 would be the recovery data partition. It looks like the switch from booting from the HDD to booting from the SSD never was done correctly, so you are still set to boot from the HDD and it's corrupted.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.