Aspire stuck on acer logo after sleep/hibernation

Eugen4
Eugen4 Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I tried all types of fixes found online or on this board, nothing seem to work.... reset with POWER down for minutes... reset the battery.... ALT+F10... reload default BIOS config... even tried to book from a Win 10 USB drive.
What do you recommend?

Answers

• Eugen4

Tinkerer

*boot (not book) :)
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    >>>ALT+F10>>>

What do you mean by 'ALT+F10'?

Jack E/NJ

• Eugen4

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>ALT+F10>>>

There are some comments on using the ALT + F10 key combination at boot to enter into a repair mode, in my case this does not help. Neither the 3 options given in that mode are useful.
  • JackE
    >>> Neither the 3 options given in that mode are useful. >>>

What do you mean by this? There should've been an option to erase everything and reset the machine to a factory fresh conditon. There should also have been an option to try to save your personal files. Finally there should've been advanced option to lead to the command prompt which has a more powerful set of command-line options to repair the system than the GUI interface. What do you mean none of these were useful?

Jack E/NJ

• Eugen4

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>> Neither the 3 options given in that mode are useful. >>>

What do you mean by this? There should've been an option to erase everything and reset the machine to a factory fresh conditon. There should also have been an option to try to save your personal files. Finally there should've been advanced option to lead to the command prompt which has a more powerful set of command-line options to repair the system than the GUI interface. What do you mean none of these were useful?
    Either options i pick the laptop returns to black screen with the Acer logo with the spinning dots. Nothing is fixed no matter the option picked.
  • Eugen4

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>ALT+F10>>>

None of the options given are doing anything different. 

See screen shot. 

• Eugen4

Tinkerer

My best guess, based on reading the forums and the recovery message above is that the hard dive is not coming back up, either defective, malfunction or its not powered up (after coming up from the sleep mode).
  • JackE
    Yes agreed. Does the BIOS Information tab list an HDD or SSD?

Jack E/NJ

• Eugen4

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes agreed. Does the BIOS Information tab list an HDD or SSD?
    Yes the hard drive is listed and it appears to be correct, maybe the bios got confused by the standby/sleep mode. Or maybe the board is not delivering the voltage to the hard disk. This happened just after the laptop entered in sleep mode due to low battery level.
  • JackE
    >>>This happened just after the laptop entered in sleep mode due to low battery level. >>>

How low? If it reaches about 7%, it should save current settings to a startup file on the HDD and shut off, not sleep. Any further drain on the battery even during sleep, could render it unusable if it goes much below 5%.

With the machine off & plugged in, does the battery charge LED turn from steady orange to steady blue?

Jack E/NJ

• Eugen4

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>This happened just after the laptop entered in sleep mode due to low battery level. >>>

How low? If it reaches about 7%, it should save current settings to a startup file on the HDD and shut off, not sleep. Any further drain on the battery even during sleep, could render it unusable if it goes much below 5%.

With the machine off & plugged in, does the battery charge LED turn from steady orange to steady blue?
    Yes i can see that after a while it turns steady blue. 
  • JackE
    edited July 2021
    >>>even tried to boo[t] from a Win 10 USB drive.>>>

Shut the machine off. Insert this boot drive if it was made using Microsoft's USB installation tool. Turn the back machine on and immediately start tapping the F12 key till something good happens. If nothing happens, try another USB socket. I still nothing, make sure the F12 boot option is enabled in the BIOS Main tab.

Jack E/NJ

• Eugen4

Tinkerer

edited July 2021
    JackE said:
    >>>even tried to boo[t] from a Win 10 USB drive.>>>

Shut the machine off. Insert this boot drive if it was made using Microsoft's USB installation tool. Turn the back machine on and immediately start tapping the F12 key till something good happens. If nothing happens, try another USB socket. I still nothing, make sure the F12 boot option is enabled in the BIOS Main tab.
    When i do this it  doesnt work, it can see the USB as an option to boot from but it does not boot.
  • Eugen4

Tinkerer

So I took the hard drive out, how can i check and fix it using another computer...?
  • JackE
    >>>When i do this it  doesnt work, it can see the USB as an option to boot from but it does not boot. >>>

What do you mean it doesn't work? What error message are you seeing? It takes a long time to boot from a USB stick? How much time did you give it to boot? Did you try another USB stick?

You need a 2.5" USB-to-HDD adapter cable to attempt repairing the HDD from another computer. These adapters are less than $10usd from places like Amazon.

Jack E/NJ

• Eugen4

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>When i do this it  doesnt work, it can see the USB as an option to boot from but it does not boot. >>>

What do you mean it doesn't work? What error message are you seeing? It takes a long time to boot from a USB stick? How much time did you give it to boot? Did you try another USB stick?

You need a 2.5" USB-to-HDD adapter cable to attempt repairing the HDD from another computer. These adapters are less than $10usd from places like Amazon.
    Yes, I actually have the USB adapter. Do  you know the rightway to fix it? I have the drive out of the laptop now.
  • JackE
    Before we proceed any further, how many RAM modules do you have installed?

Jack E/NJ

• Eugen4

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Before we proceed any further, how many RAM modules do you have installed?
    Two RAM modules.
  • JackE
    >>>So I took the hard drive out, how can i check and fix it using another computer...? >>>>>>Two RAM modules.>>>

Please put the HDD back in. Then try to boot it up. If it gets stuck again, press and hold the power button till it shuts down. Then remove one of the RAM. Then try to boot it up on just one RAM module. If it gets stuck again then replace the module and remove the other module and try to boot it again.

Jack E/NJ

• Eugen4

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Please put the HDD back in. Then try to boot it up. If it gets stuck again, press and hold the power button till it shuts down. Then remove one of the RAM. Then try to boot it up on just one RAM module. If it gets stuck again then replace the module and remove the other module and try to boot it again.

This is not helping, same thing happens when I use one or two RAM modules (either one).

I'm pretty sure its the hard drive that's corrupted because when it's out I can boot from an USB drive or other drive. The question is how to recover the hard drive.