Answers

• Anonymous1234567890
    Anonymous1234567890 Member Posts: 28

Tinkerer

Options

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    OK. At the DISKPART > prompt enter the following 2 commands in succession and post result.

select disk 1
    list volume

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options

• JackE
    Options
    OK.  The RAW Partition5 is should NOT affect reading any personal data files that remain on Partition4, the E : \ drive.

So try this. Enter 'exit' at the DISKPART > prompt. This should bring you back to the  C : \ elevated command prompt. At this command prompt enter the following command.

'dir     E : \  /a/s'

There's a space after dir but no spaces between E the rest of the characters so as to avoid triggering icon images on this ACER website. Post screenshot of result if possible

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options
    here ya go!    

• JackE
    Options
    Looks good. But sorry, this confirms the earlier FileExplore result that ALL the system & data files on the old drive had somehow been deleted somewhere along the line. This usually can't happen inside the Windows environment if the old HDD was in good physical shape. So I can only guess a hardware failure especially since the 'chkdsk E : /f' command didn't resolve the RAW filesystem issue.

We can try one more thing using these DISKPART >  prompt commands. Enter---
    select volume 5
    assign letter=G
    list volume (to make sure G has been assigned to volume 5)

Then exit Dispart again to the elevated command prompt. At the elevated command prompt, enter 'chkdsk G: /f' .

Then re-enter diskpart, and enter 'list volume' to see if partition5 has been changed from RAW to NTFS.

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options
    I went through these steps. But when I get to "Then exit Dispart again to the elevated command prompt. At the elevated command prompt, enter 'chkdsk G: /f' ." I get the error "The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives."
  • JackE
    Options
    Yeah. You can try to salvage the  G :  recovery partition with the other options suggested in the easeus link https://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-external-hard-drive-recovery.htm   But I now doubt there's much of anything worth saving on the main E : \ partition since it only has about 130MB used which is normal for an empty formatted partition.

Somewhere along the line, some process wiped the old drive's C : \ partition clean and corrupted its hidden recovery partition because its hardware does seem to be OK from  all the tests we've run on i. This is not an easy thing to accidentally do inside the Windows environment. So my best guess is that malware slipped in there somehow, did the damage while the system was still on and operating normally in RAM. When the machine was shut down, the RAM was cleared. And nothing left on the drive to load RAM on the next boot.  Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options
    Well that's disappointing. It would've been more advantageous to get a new machine rather than the expense and all the time and effort that went into getting a new HD into this very old one and trying to salvage any data from the old drive.

I appreciate all of your time, assistance, and expertise, Jack! I don't know who you are or why you jumped in and got so involved, but you clearly know your stuff, and spent a TON of time sharing your knowledge and trying to help me out - always with super fast replies, even on weekends or at night! You truly are an angel, sir!
  • JackE
    Options
    Still a fine machine that works well with an uncorrupted drive. If it was mine, I'd probably soon buy an SSD to get the biggest speed bump for the buck. SSD prices are dropping really fast too.

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options
    Eh I'll have to respectively agree to disagree. Haven't turned the laptop back on since that last message, because after losing everything from the previous HD, I've had no reason. Tried tonight and it's right back to the initial issue. The time, alone, that this issue has cost me would've been worth buying a new, working, reliable device - not to mention the money it's cost.
  • JackE
    Options
    I'd still try the SSD if it was mine. But it's not mine. It's your's. And your decision.

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options
    Eh right now it's back to not even booting, like before the new HDD, so this one will be going into a computer recycling bin soon. :(
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry, I haven't a clue on what has transpired with youi machine since the middle of last month.

Jack E/NJ