Wasted $40 on Useless e-Recovery for Aspire F 15 571T 569T

Options

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Do you have another machine to use? Here's the USB-to-HDD adapter you need from Amazon. $8. If you don't have access to another machine, then take a chance and throw in another $48 for the WesternDigital blue HDD I recommended earlier and get the F5 up and running again. Then try to copy the personal files off the sick HDD. If it was mine with all this personal stuff still on the old drive,  I'd jump at the chance of laying out only $60 to try to salvage all this before I spent ten times more on a new machine. And I'm not even a gambler. :)

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890
    Anonymous1234567890 Member Posts: 28

Tinkerer

Options

So would I just:

1. Take the case off of my laptop
    2. Detach the current, failed HDD
    3. Attach the new HDD
    4. Attach the SATA end of the cable to the old HDD
    5. Plug the USB into the laptop
    6. Try to read the failed HDD in File Explorer and, if possible, copy everything off of it?
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes but you omitted step---
    3a. Install Win10 on the new HDD from the USB Win10 installation stick. :)

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options
    Ah...thank you for that! I'll have to try and figure out how to get that done (with the personal laptop not working and work laptops locking out the use of USBs). You're super fast (and knowledgeable), and willing to spend time with people, Jack!
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>(with the personal laptop not working>>>

No!!! Once you have the new HDD installed in your F5 laptop (your step 3), it should now boot from the useless ACER Windows recovery stick you paid $40 for and install Windows on the new HDD. You don't need another machine to do that. Just the F5. Then you might even change your mind and proclaim the $40 stick as useful instead of useless.  :)

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options
    While this might be "easy" for someone who does this at least semi-professionally, this is crazy harder than it sounds for someone who has never opened a laptop, before. I've now spent $150 on tools, hard drives, cables, a new copy of Windows, etc...and have accomplished nothing. :( 
  • Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

edited October 2021
    Options
    Actually...complete and total waste of time and money. All finished installing new HD. Put the brand new copy of Windows 10 into the DVD ROM, booted, straight into the error "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed. Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key. Then Select 'Boot Manager' to choose a new Boot Device to to Boot Recovery Media." So I hit any key, select Boot Manager, which has "Boot Option Menu" and select the useless $40 recovery USB - "USB HDD: OEM   Recovery USB." So I hit enter, and nada...right back into the same error. Waited 4 months to get all of the necessary tools, disks, etc., which cost $150 ($190 if you include the useless USB recovery stick), spent the time taking the thing apart, unhooking, rehooking, putting back together, etc. And am no closer to having a working laptop, let alone retrieving lost data from the previous HDD, than before.
  • JackE
    Options
    (1) Press and hold power button till the machine shuts off.
    (2) Turn the machine back on and immediately tap the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu
    (3) Make sure the new HDD is recognised and described in the BIOS Information tab
    (4) Make sure the F12 and D2D options are enabled in the BIOS Main tab
    (5) Press F10 to save these settings and exit the BIOS menu
    (6) Remove any DVD disc in the tray
    (7) Press and hold the power button to turn the machine off again
    (8) Insert the $40 ACER erecovery USB
    (9) Turn the machine on and immediately press the F12 key
    (10) The ACER recovery screen should appear to allow you to install the original factory Windows version

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options
    With the Windows CD inserted, the machine will boot into "Windows." There is no real "Start Menu" options. I open File Explorer but it does not show the CD/DVD drive for me to select and run a setup/install of Windows. Without the CD in the drive, the machine boots right back into the same old error. So I cannot do anything except surf the web, and only if that Windows CD is in the drive - cannot actually install Windows, cannot use the machine at all without the CD.
  • JackE
    edited October 2021
    Options
    >>>The Acer website suggested that I had to buy a $40 e-recovery flash drive. So I did. >>>
    >>> Without the CD in the drive, the machine boots right back into the same old error.>>>

Did you get the ACER recovery media as a CD disc or as a USB stick?

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options
    I got the Acer recovery as USB and Windows as CD
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Then with an empty DVD tray, did you follow steps 6 thru 10 as shown below with the USB stick inserted and pressed F12? Because this wasn't mentioned in your post earlier today.

(6) Remove any DVD disc in the tray
    (7) Press and hold the power button to turn the machine off again
    (8) Insert the $40 ACER erecovery USB
    (9) Turn the machine on and immediately press the F12 key
    (10) The ACER recovery screen should appear to allow you to install the original factory Windows version

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options
    Yup I did all of these things step-by-step and the recovery screen never came on. Finally had the time to deal with it this morning and today. Basically it just took repeating these exact same steps, verbatim, about 50 times, over about 2 hours, that it finally went into the Recovery Screen and I was able to install. Now my only issue is that I hooked up the previous drive using the adapter and it simply reads as an entirely blank drive.
  • JackE
    Options
    If you're referring to the HDD, please post a FileExplore screenshot of its root directory. Make sure FileExplore's view tab shows details and everything checkmarked

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options
    here ya go...this is the root directly of the old drive when plugged into the adapter and with the adapter plugged into my USB port

• JackE
    Options
    Press WIN+R. Enter 'diskmgmt.msc' Please post screenshot of result.

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options

• JackE
    Options
    The RAW file system means the old drive (E : ) has been corrupted. It might be recoverable if it was not due to a hardware failure --- aka a crash. Go to this link . Try the first suggestion by entering 'chkdsk E : /f'  command from the elevated command prompt if you can boot from the new drive.

Jack E/NJ

• Anonymous1234567890

Tinkerer

Options
    Went through chkdsk, let it "repair," then back to disk management, and see he below

• JackE
    Options
    The other problem is that not only the file system has been corrupted, but looks both corrupted and uncorrupted files were also deleted. Open the elevated command prompt. Enter 'diskpart'  At the DISKPART > prompt enter 'list disk'. Post a screenshot of result if possible.

Jack E/NJ