How can I fix, "No Bootable Disk" with no HDD detected and only Secure Boot available? A114-32-C8N

Zotis
Zotis Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi, I'm using an Aspire 1 laptop, A114-32-C8N6 with Windows 10.  My problem started several days ago.  I was travelling and used my laptop just fine on the train.  But a couple of days later when I tried to use it, I got "No Bootable Disk," and haven't been able to find a solution.  I suspected that it got knocked around a bit in my backpack.  For example, my friend slammed on the brakes when it was in the back seat of the car and the whole backpack fell on the ground.  I had a similar problem before with another laptop and reseating my hard drive fixed it, bit I can not see any hard drive in this computer.

According to what I've read so far, when the BIOS says "none" for the HDD model name, that is a hardware issue. I've opened it up and reseated as many components as I can see, but it didn't change anything

Where I'm really getting stumped is that I can not find any information on the fact that the only available boot option I have is Secure Boot.  Other posts and guides talk about changing the Boot option between two modes UEFI and Legacy, but no one ever mentions what to do if neither of these are available.

I have reset my Setup to Default (F9).  The Boot tab in bios gives me absolutely no options, and i can not change or interact with anything.  All it says is, "Secure Boot: [Enabled]" and "Boot priority order:"  Boot priority order says nothing after the colon and the boot options I see other people talking about are not there.

Also, alt+F10 does nothing and F12 did nothing even when it was enabled, although according to the default settings it's now disabled.

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a way I can fix it myself without sending it to a shop?  I could really use some trouble shooting guides as I have been unable to find anything even remotely touching on this issue after many hours of searching google, youtube, and this site.

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited July 2021
    Zotis

If the bios says hdd as none then it is a hardware issue.    Your hdd is not communicating with the motherboard.   You might have to reseat the hdd.    You might be using ssd instead of regular hdd.    Please try to reseat it. 

Some models do not support any type of disk installation, and only eMMC memory can be directed to Windows.

Please check whether the pictures inside the link or helping you.. 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/571967/my-acer-aspire-1-a114-31-c4hh-came-with-30gb-how-can-i-increase-the-storage-capacity
    https://driverfixissues.com/index/acer-a114-32-c3n0/acer-aspire-1-a114-32-c3n0-is-dead-wont-start-up-wont-wake-up-not-turning-on-not-starting-anymore-boot-issues-no-working-led.html   ( Scroll down and check the pictures )

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Unfortunately, your model only has  very limited 32GB or 64GB emmc solid state storage chip soldered to the mainboard, no HDD. If the BIOS Information tab shows no emmc chip or other bootable device, then the mainboard has probably failed. You sometimes have more control over  BIOS settings by first setting and saving a BIOS supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password for more possible options.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Zotis,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/service-contact

OR book the unit for repair service,

https://customerselfcare.acer.com/CS2/#/

• Zotis
    Zotis Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the input guys, sorry for the late reply.  Acer William, that picture unfortunately shoes a removable hdd, and my model does not have one.  I think JackE is right about it being a chip attached to the main drive.  My main concern is loosing everything from my hard drive because I have writing and documents that unfortunately were not backed up, and are precious to me.

I think I will have to send it in for repairs, and my dreaded suspicion is they'll ha e to replace the chip and I'll loose everything.  But it's looking like I have no alternative.

Thanks guys, I'll be contacting tech support next.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    You might want to first check out any mobile or cellphone repair shops near your location. Many smartphone repair shops have the tools to recover data from this type of storage chip.

Jack E/NJ

• Pat2022
    Pat2022 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Dear Zotis. The same thing has happened to my laptop. I was just wondering if tech support were able to repair your laptop? Many thanks