Want to upgrade my Acer Aspire 3 A315-55G-5968.

Himadri
Himadri Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello Experts!

This is Himadri from India. I'm using my Acer Aspire 3 A315-55G-5968 (Part Number: NX.H1ASI.003) laptop since last 1.5 years. At present I'm wishing to upgrade my above mentioned laptop.

My queries are...

1. On the techical data sheet of this laptop, it is mentioned that the maximum memory (RAM) capacity of this laptop is 12 GB and RAM type is DDR4. That means I can replace one of my existing 4GB RAMs with a 8GB DDR4 RAM but supported RAM frequency/speed details (i.e. 2133mHz, 2400mHz, 2666mHz, 3200mHz) are not mentioned there. I'm wishing to replace both of the existing 4GB DDR4-2400mHz RAMs of my laptop with one 4GB & one 8GB DDR4-3200mHz RAMs. Is it possible?

2. No information regarding SSD support are there on the technical data sheet. So, please let me know that whether or not this laptop supports SSD. If this laptop supports SSD then please let me know the maximum SSD capacity (i.e. 128 GB, 256 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB etc) and supported SSD type (i.e SATA SSD or NVMe SSD, Connector type i.e M.2 or PCIe). Is it possible to install an SSD along with the existing HDD or I've to remove the existing HDD to install an SSD? I'm wishing to keep the both.

Technical Data-sheet link -
https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2019/4876/A315-53G/NX.H1ASI.003.html

Please help me on this...  <3

[Edited comment to delete unique information]

Best Answers

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,432 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    Hi,
    You have 4GB onboard memory and a 4GB removable RAM, you can upgrade it to another 16GB to make the total memory of 20GB  2400MHz(you need to check the memory speed of your current RAM module) you can find the details in the link below, you can also install a M.2 NVMe SSD up to 512GB, a larger 1TB SSD may also work but couldn't find anyone installed it, you can migrate the HDD to the new M.2 SSD and use it as the boot drive, you can use the original HDD for storage.
    I need a 16gb ram for my Acer Aspire A315 53G 599B — Acer Community
    Acer Aspire A315-53G Performance Results - UserBenchmark
  • Himadri
    Hi,
    You have 4GB onboard memory and a 4GB removable RAM, you can upgrade it to another 16GB to make the total memory of 20GB  2400MHz(you need to check the memory speed of your current RAM module) you can find the details in the link below, you can also install a M.2 NVMe SSD up to 512GB, a larger 1TB SSD may also work but couldn't find anyone installed it, you can migrate the HDD to the new M.2 SSD and use it as the boot drive, you can use the original HDD for storage.
    Hi!

Thanks for your reply bro...  :3  <3

But as per the technical data-sheet provided by acer, the maximum RAM capacity of my laptop is 12GB. So, is it okay to upgrade the removable RAM from 4GB to 16GB?

Data-sheet link - https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2019/4876/A315-53G/NX.H1ASI.003.html

The frequency/speed of existing (onboard & removable both) RAMs of my laptop is 2400mHz (I've checked it personally today but can't share the image as I'm outside of my home right now).

So, I've to replace the existing removable RAM with another RAM (8GB or 16 GB) whose frequency/speed is 2400mHz only (matching with the onboard RAM). 2666mHz or 3200mHz RAMs are not compatible with this laptop. Is not it? I'm planning to buy a crucial makes RAM. Is the brand okay?

Now regarding the SSD upgradation, I'm wishing to buy a 256 GB of SSD as it'll be used only as boot drive and the existing 1TB HDD'll be used as storage drive. That means I want to keep both of the SSD & HDD in my laptop. Is it possible? If not possible then I'll go for 512GB or 1TB SSD.

Please also suggest me some brand/model names of good SSDs.

Thanks & regards,

HIMADRI
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    No problem, yes, Acer recommends maximum memory of 12GB(4GB onboard+8GB) but some vendors advertise maximum memory as 20GB, so it's up to you but I would suggest you install another 8GB 2400MHz module to make the total memory of 12GB, Crucial memory modules are fine but if you can find another brand cheaper, then buy the cheapest memory available, for example ADATA memory modules are also good, yes you can buy 256GB M.2 SSD and use it as the boot drive and keep HDD for storage, you can keep them both.
    Please read the instructions for migration of your HDD to the new SSD in this thread:Trying to upgrade ram but failure spire A315-53G — Acer Community
    Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | acer | aspire a3 | Aspire 3 A315-53G | Crucial UK
    Aspire 3 A315-53G Memory Upgrade - Acer 3 A315-53G Aspire Laptop Memory (memorystock.com)
    Amazon.in: Buy Kingston ValueRAM 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Non-ECC CL17 SODIMM 1Rx8 (KVR24S17S8/8) Online at Low Prices in India | Kingston Reviews & Ratings
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,198 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @Himadri

Please visit the website  given below .  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .   Please chose the options and try it.   It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Himadri
    Hi,
    No problem, yes, Acer recommends maximum memory of 12GB(4GB onboard+8GB) but some vendors advertise maximum memory as 20GB, so it's up to you but I would suggest you install another 8GB 2400MHz module to make the total memory of 12GB, Crucial memory modules are fine but if you can find another brand cheaper, then buy the cheapest memory available, for example ADATA memory modules are also good, yes you can buy 256GB M.2 SSD and use it as the boot drive and keep HDD for storage, you can keep them both.
    Please read the instructions for migration of your HDD to the new SSD in this thread:Trying to upgrade ram but failure spire A315-53G — Acer Community
    Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | acer | aspire a3 | Aspire 3 A315-53G | Crucial UK
    Aspire 3 A315-53G Memory Upgrade - Acer 3 A315-53G Aspire Laptop Memory (memorystock.com)
    Amazon.in: Buy Kingston ValueRAM 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Non-ECC CL17 SODIMM 1Rx8 (KVR24S17S8/8) Online at Low Prices in India | Kingston Reviews & Ratings
    Thanks again for your reply bro...

I just checked Amazon India & found that price difference between Crucial and Kingston DDR4 2400mHz RAM is very much low (pic attached). That's why I'm going with Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM.

P.S. - Does the laptop face any technical issues if I install Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM instead of Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM? Or do I get any advantages by choosing 16GB over 8GB?

Now regarding the SSD, I'm wishing to go with Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V7S250). This one is compatible with this laptop?

Thanks & regards,
    HIMADRI
  • Himadri
    @Himadri

Please visit the website  given below .  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .   Please chose the options and try it.   It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Thanks bro for your reply...  <3
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,198 Pathfinder
    @Himadri

Apart from upgrading the memory you can also increase the speed of the computer software wise.. 

Here are some of the steps to speed up your computer.  

Try windows + r -  on the run window - type msconfig  - click ok  
    click on services
    check - hide all microsoft services 
    click on disable all
    click on startup 
    disable all the startup items 
    click on apply - ok  - restart the computer.     Loading process will be very fast now.. 

Note: You can always enable the services and startup items whichever you want later.    Please dont forget to check the box hide all microsoft services.

Try windows + r - on the run window - type appwiz.cpl  - click ok  
    it will show you the list of programs
    remove all the unwanted third party programs. 
    Please don’t remove any drivers.  
    If you are not sure , please don’t remove it.  

Try windows + r - on the run window type temp - click ok -  it will show you the bunch of files -  try ctrl + a - select all files - press the shift key and click on delete files 

Try windows + r - on the run window type  %temp%  - click ok  - It will show you the bunch of files -  try ctrl + a - select all files - press the shift key and click on delete files 

If you are not able to remove some files - click on skip and then click click on continue.. 

Try windows + r  - on the run window - type cleanmgr - click ok
    click on all the boxes except recycle bin and thumnail
    Delete the items which are checked 

Try windows x - on the menu - chose command prompt admin or power shell admin 
    click on yes 
    on the blue or black window  type sfc /scannow 
    It will be running till 100 %

Try to do a chrome reset if chrome is installed on your computer. 
    open chrome
    click on three dots on top right corner 
    click on settings
    Scroll down - go to advanced
    click on restore setting to default
    you will see reset settings - cancel
    click on reset settings 
    Open chrome 
    it will work faster now

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,791 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    Himadri said:
    Hello Experts!

This is Himadri from India. I'm using my Acer Aspire 3 A315-55G-5968 (Part Number: NX.H1ASI.003) laptop since last 1.5 years. At present I'm wishing to upgrade my above mentioned laptop.

My queries are...

1. On the techical data sheet of this laptop, it is mentioned that the maximum memory (RAM) capacity of this laptop is 12 GB and RAM type is DDR4. That means I can replace one of my existing 4GB RAMs with a 8GB DDR4 RAM but supported RAM frequency/speed details (i.e. 2133mHz, 2400mHz, 2666mHz, 3200mHz) are not mentioned there. I'm wishing to replace both of the existing 4GB DDR4-2400mHz RAMs of my laptop with one 4GB & one 8GB DDR4-3200mHz RAMs. Is it possible?

2. No information regarding SSD support are there on the technical data sheet. So, please let me know that whether or not this laptop supports SSD. If this laptop supports SSD then please let me know the maximum SSD capacity (i.e. 128 GB, 256 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB etc) and supported SSD type (i.e SATA SSD or NVMe SSD, Connector type i.e M.2 or PCIe). Is it possible to install an SSD along with the existing HDD or I've to remove the existing HDD to install an SSD? I'm wishing to keep the both.

Thanks in advance...

With warm regards,

HIMADRI/

“Himadri” just as an addition to the above information and as far as the M.2 drives for your Acer Aspire 3 A315-55G-5968, you can fit the type B&M end key type M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x2 and NOT PCIe Gen3 x4 which is the current NVMe M.2 drives, be careful as NVMe M.2 drives will not work on this laptop as they a different drive. You can fit these capacity M.2 drives to your A315-55G of either 128/256/512GB and 1TB and/or the max capacities that the Windows MBR/Legacy format and the GPT/UEFI format rules apply to Windows operating systems. that is if you use a Windows operating system? As using other OS's other rules apply. Good luck and hope this solves all your problems. 

These are the specs and the type of M.2 drive that fits your A315-55G:

RAM specs for your A315-55G

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,790 Trailblazer
    That last bit might have been confusing... You can use an NVMe drive in the laptop, it is just that it will be at the x2 speeds, not the full x4 speeds. It won't matter which keying the drive has, since the socket accepts both.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Himadri
    StevenGen said:
    Himadri said:
    Hello Experts!

My queries are...

1. On the technical data sheet of this laptop, it is mentioned that the maximum memory (RAM) capacity of this laptop is 12 GB and RAM type is DDR4. That means I can replace one of my existing 4GB RAMs with a 8GB DDR4 RAM but supported RAM frequency/speed details (i.e. 2133mHz, 2400mHz, 2666mHz, 3200mHz) are not mentioned there. I'm wishing to replace both of the existing 4GB DDR4-2400mHz RAMs of my laptop with one 4GB & one 8GB DDR4-3200mHz RAMs. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance...

With warm regards,

HIMADRI/

“Himadri” just as an addition to the above information and as far as the M.2 drives for your Acer Aspire 3 A315-55G-5968, you can fit the type B&M end key type M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x2 and NOT PCIe Gen3 x4 which is the current NVMe M.2 drives, be careful as NVMe M.2 drives will not work on this laptop as they a different drive. You can fit these capacity M.2 drives to your A315-55G of either 128/256/512GB and 1TB and/or the max capacities that the Windows MBR/Legacy format and the GPT/UEFI format rules apply to Windows operating systems. that is if you use a Windows operating system? As using other OS's other rules apply. Good luck and hope this solves all your problems. 

These are the specs and the type of M.2 drive that fits your A315-55G:

RAM specs for your A315-55G

Thanks for your reply Bro...  <3

Now I'm getting confused...  :#:s

Just tell me that Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V7S250) is compatible with this laptop or not?

Here is the existing RAM details of my laptop...

Thanks & regards,
    HIMADRI
  • Himadri
    billsey said:
    That last bit might have been confusing... You can use an NVMe drive in the laptop, it is just that it will be at the x2 speeds, not the full x4 speeds. It won't matter which keying the drive has, since the socket accepts both.

Thanks for your reply Bro... <3<3

So, as per your suggestion I can install any of PCIe Gen3 x2 hardware interface or PCIe Gen3 x4 hardware interface SSD in my Acer Aspire 3 A315-55G-5968.....? Both type of hardware interface SSDs are compatible with my Acer Aspire 3 A315-55G-5968...?
  • brummyfan2
    Hi @Himadri
    Yes, I agree with @billsey, your model has only 2 lanes enabled for PCI Express Root ports, so it's better to go for a PCIe 3.0x2 M.2 SSD, like WD SN520 but I have seen other users installed PCIe3.0x4 SSDs in this model but those SSDs achieved only half the speed advertised by the manufacturers.
  • Himadri
    edited July 2021
    Dear All Experts,

Specially @brummyfan2 @StevenGen @billsey @Acer-William

Now I'm sharing the inside images of my Acer Aspire 3 A315-55G-5968 for your kind reference...

Please go through the images and share your final valuable remarks...

Thanks to all... <3

[Edited comment to delete unique information]
  • Kno63
    Kno63 ACE Posts: 15,766 Trailblazer
    Hi Himadri ,
    you sent me a  PM with the same questions. But you  have all infos already. We only can tell you what the service guide says about your model. You can ask and send pics as often as you want, but in the end there will be still only two lanes used, even when you install a SSD with PCIe x 4.
    "There's more to the picture than meets the eye ..."
    Ich bin kein Acer Mitarbeiter!  :-)

• Himadri
    Now I got all the necessary information regarding my queries...  :3
    Once again many many thanks to all of you...  <3

Regards,
    HIMADRI
  • Himadri
    Hi,
    Bro...

This one is okay?

P.S. - Model no of my laptop is Acer Aspire 3 A315-55G-5968 not Acer Aspire 3 A315-55G-599B

• brummyfan2
    Hi,
    I think the model name is A315-53G according to the picture of the label you posted, the motherboard is same for all A315-53G models, anyway Samsung 970 Evo Plus is fine.

• Himadri
    Hi,
    I think the model name is A315-53G according to the picture of the label you posted, the motherboard is same for all A315-53G models, anyway Samsung 970 Evo Plus is fine.

Oh yes...
    Extremely sorry for that...

Anyway I've scanned my laptop at crucial site and found that the RAM recommendations are 100% matching with A315-55G series.

https://www.crucial.in/scanview/006BA3FF31D926C3

I've ordered these two...

• brummyfan2
    Himadri said:
    Hi,

Oh yes...
    Extremely sorry for that...

Anyway I've scanned my laptop at crucial site and found that the RAM recommendations are 100% matching with A315-55G series.

https://www.crucial.in/scanview/006BA3FF31D926C3

I've ordered these two...

No problem and Good luck with your upgrade  :)
  • l3agiroff
    l3agiroff Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello Acer team. I need help. My laptop is an Acer aspire A315-55G-50YV and has 8 GB of RAM. As far as I know, 4 GB of this RAM can be integrated into the motherboard and the other can be upgraded, and it shows that I use one of the two slots, but when I opened the back of the laptop, I saw that there is 8 GB of RAM. slot .Now I'm wondering if there is a single channel 8gb or is it integrated into the 4gb motherboard and has 4gb ram in the slot?