Acer Aspire T3-600 Drive Caddy /Cage

StephenOz59
StephenOz59 Member Posts: 6 New User
Hi there, 
(Newbie here so may have posted wrong)
Saw a response to a post for a double HDD cage for a Drive Caddy for T3-600. 
Link:- https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/555805/drive-caddy-for-t3-600
Are you able to tell me if you know if it is still available and from where as had no luck locally here in Australia or across the pond in New Zealand.
Thanx

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,457 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021
    Hi there, 
    (Newbie here so may have posted wrong)
    Saw a response to a post for a double HDD cage for a Drive Caddy for T3-600. 
    Link:- https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/555805/drive-caddy-for-t3-600
    Are you able to tell me if you know if it is still available and from where as had no luck locally here in Australia or across the pond in New Zealand.
    Thanx
    That double cage is part of your T3-600's case, you don't have to buy it, just take your OEM case apart and the cage will come out. See the PDF diagram "Removing HDD" (the cage is No 40 in the exploded diagram) below for the T3-600's service manual that I've included and also the exploded diagram of all components and descriptions. Its a simple job. 

T3-600 OEM HDD cage.
  • StephenOz59
    Thanx for your response StevenGen

Maybe I should have explained myself better, but hey I am a newbie here and now include a pic of my setup of "My Acer Aspire T3-600 Setup"

My Setup is:
    1. CD/DVD Drive
    2. 4.7in (12cm) Empty space that seems that it can and should accommodate a Hard disk with some additional bits.
    3. 1 Single 3.5 HD Caddy

Ideally I would like to use 3x3.5 HDDs and the double HD caddy would suit, as well as spacers or converters as such to install a 3.5in in the No: 2 Slot.

I know this is an old system and I consider it a project as well as a challenge.

Thanx 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,457 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021
    Thanx for your response StevenGen

Maybe I should have explained myself better, but hey I am a newbie here and now include a pic of my setup of "My Acer Aspire T3-600 Setup"

My Setup is:
    1. CD/DVD Drive
    2. 4.7in (12cm) Empty space that seems that it can and should accommodate a Hard disk with some additional bits.
    3. 1 Single 3.5 HD Caddy

Ideally I would like to use 3x3.5 HDDs and the double HD caddy would suit, as well as spacers or converters as such to install a 3.5in in the No: 2 Slot.

I know this is an old system and I consider it a project as well as a challenge.

Thanx

The T3-600's mobo (see caption and desceiption below) has provisions for 6x SATA drives (1x SATA-3 at 6 Gb/s whih is the blue plug and 5x SATA-2 at 3Gb/s whih are the black plugs) that includes for the DVD drive which is the max that you can connect to its mobo. The CPU's that it comes with OEM is either the 
    Ivy Bridge Core i3-3220 Dual core (3.30G 3M 1333 FSB) 65W TPD or the
    Ivy Bridge i5-3350P Quad core (3.1G 6M 1333 FSB) 
    69W TPD. You can easely upgrade the CPU to the i7-3770 that will give you 65% increase in performance to the I3-3220 and about 35% extra performance on the 
    i5-3350P and also put a 2.5" 1x SATA-3 6GB/sec SSD as the other 4x drives are at SATA-2 3GB/sec. Also increase the memory to the Max memory of 16 GB supported (using 4GB tech) into its 4x slots  and also upgrade your graphics card from either its AMD Radeon or its GeForce GT630 OEM cards to the more upspeced cards like the GTX550Ti or the Radeon Vega 8 which will make your T3-600 much better performer that will handle the newest Win-10 version 21H1 OS build 19043.985. Btw, if you doall these upgrades also increase your PSU to a 500W ATX. I've done all these uprades toa T3-600 and they worked very well and increased this desktops performance considreably, just a thought for you if you want to spend that sort ofmoney? Good luckand hope this helpsyou ot cheers.  

• StephenOz59
    Thanx StevenGen,
    For your response and suggestions.
    I have the i5 which will be quite adequate for my current needs and project.
    Ram isn't an issue as I already have 16GB I can put in there if the 8 wont do its job.
    I already have 3x3.5 HDDs (2x1TB & 1x4TB (for storage))

The plan is:-
    Run 1x1TB HD with Windows 10
    Run 1x1TB HD with Linux (Coz I figured it was about time I learnt how to use)
    and have the 4TB as a backup

My options depending on whether I can get get the 4.7 adapter/convertor and/or double HDD cage.

Option 1: With the double HDD cage and the 4.7 to 3.5 adapter/convertor - install all 3x3.5 HDDs
    Option 2: With the 4.7 to 3.5 adapter/convertor, would accommodate the 4TB and using the single bay I have, I can install a Dual 2.5 to 3.5 Bracket Adapter to run either 2 SSDs or 2.5 HDs or combination thereof (total 3 HDDs).
    Option 3: With the double HDD cage - Install the Dual 2.5 to 3.5 Bracket Adapter along with the 4TB HD (total 3 HDDs).
    Option 4: Get an off the shelf case and install the i5 mobo and set up as I want (and there goes my project and challenge)

Total out of pocket expenses would be $6 for the Dual 2.5 to 3.5 Bracket Adapter.
    The cost for the 4.7 adapter/convertor and/or double HDD cage $??? if I can get either or both.
    A new off the shelf PC case $50-100 if I can't get 4.7 adapter/convertor and double HDD cage.

Options I have mate.
    What I don't have is the 4.7 adapter/convertor to 3.5 or the double HD cage (my project and challenge) and don't know where to get them and even if they are available to be gotten.

Hurstville here.
    Thanx.