New Predator Orion PO5-600s user - new games on C: drive or D: drive?

Options
Manxie
Manxie Member Posts: 55 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited June 2021 in Predator Desktops
Hi Chaps,

I've just taken delivery of a new Acer Predator Orion PO5-600s and am currently trying to put one of my existing games from Steam on to it.

It has a 512GB Solid State Drive labelled Acer (C:) and a 1TB Hard Disc Drive labelled Data2 (D:).

I'd always assumed that programs went on the SSD and other stuff (like photos and documents) went on the HDD.  But if that's the case are games counted as programs and do they not also go on the SSD?  I've installed Steam on the SSD.  

This particular game is only 18GB which would leave me with 170GB remaining.  But, I plan to put Microsoft Flight Simulator on it (the main reason for buying the PC) and that wants 150GB of disc space...

I'm beginning to suspect that I may have got the wrong end of the stick here...

Also, as an aside, I don't seem to be able to find a manual as such.  I've got one that tells me how to upgrade it with RAM or put in a new HDD etc. but I can't find a basic user guide.  Does anybody know if there is such a thing?

Grateful for any advice please.  

Comments

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    I wonder what the big storage hog is in MFS, terrain data? Can you tell it to install the game on the SSD but put the terrain data on the HDD? In any case, you are right, you typically put the application on the system drive and data on the data drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Manxie
    Options
    Thanks for coming back to me billsey.  I read somewhere that the simulator code itself is around 15MB and the world and aircraft is around 90GB. 
    Whether it's possible to stipulate what goes where I don't yet know.   I certainly don't fancy filling up most of my SSD with it. 

• Manxie
    Options
    Can I choose or change the installation path? (Install on the D: drive instead of the C: drive for instance) – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com) 

It seems the initial install loader goes on the C: drive.

I'm going to give it a go.

I'll let you know how I get on.

• GlasgowGaryH
    GlasgowGaryH Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I Bought an extra 1TB SSD for my MSFS 2020, currently it has 315gb on it. If you want to install extra addons you are going need quite a bit of storage space
  • Manxie
    Options
    Thanks Gary. 

I think what I'll do is try and put the simulator code on C:drive and try to put the rest on my HDD and see what happens.  I realise that it may take the game a bit longer to load but I can live with that for the time being.

If it doesn't work out I'll have to remove it and put it on an SSD like you've done.  Is it possible to have that SSD in addition to the one that the machine came with and if so where does it go?

• Manxie
    Options
    Incidentally, it seems that the download has been shrunk somewhat.

"RELEASE NOTES 1.16.2.0

Some packages in your community folder may not have been updated and, as a result, may have an unexpected impact on the title’s performance and behaviour.
    Please move your community package(s) to another folder before relaunching the title if you suffer from stability issues or long loading times.

We performed some optimization for the initial full download of the title so the base game is only 83GB instead of +170GB"
  • GlasgowGaryH
    GlasgowGaryH Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Manxie said:
    Thanks Gary. 

Is it possible to have that SSD in addition to the one that the machine came with and if so where does it go?

This thread describes it a lot better than I ever could
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/639821/upgrading-my-orion-5000-po5-615
  • Manxie
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks Gary.
  • Manxie
    Options
    Can I choose or change the installation path? (Install on the D: drive instead of the C: drive for instance) – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com) 

It seems the initial install loader goes on the C:drive.

I'm going to give it a go.

I'll let you know how I get on.

• Manxie
    Options
    Just for information, in case it helps anyone else.  I found that I was able to install the initial install loader on the C:drive (50GB) and put the remainder on the D:drive.  Having put all the free updates on it (up to World Updates V: Nordics) it now occupies 131GB on D:drive.  
  • Manxie
    Options
    In case it helps anyone, it's now 148GB with the latest Update (5) etc..
  • Manxie
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Just for information:  Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 now occupies 186GB on D:drive. In addition to the 50GB on C:drive.  And that's just with the monthly (or so) free upgrades.  As GlasgowGaryH suggested a few months ago, (something along the lines that Chief Brody said in Jaws) I'm gonna need... a bigger SSD.

I think I'll start a new topic asking how to do it.