Problem adding a 2.5" drive to Aspire A515-44G laptop. Can someone help me?

tewasm
tewasm Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I've installed the drive using the bracket and screws included in the "HDD Upgrade Kit" that came with the laptop.  However, the included cable does not seem to fit the connector on the motherboard.  It connects fine to the drive, and although I've located the connector on the motherboard to which the cable should attach, I can't figure out how to actually connect it - the cable connector almost seems to be in a different form factor than the motherboard connector.  Has anyone succeeded at doing this?  If so, I would be very grateful for some guidance.  Thank you!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    edited May 2021
    Yeah, in the interest of saving space  the mainboard connector is not standard laptop. Google the part no. below for vendors who ship to your location. Less than about $20USD. Jack E/NJ

PS: In the interest of reducing clutter by adding more metal & screws, I  recommend using antistatic foam instead to immobilize and protect the HDD inside. 

Jack E/NJ

• tewasm

Tinkerer

Thanks very much JackE.  That is the cable I already have, but I cannot figure out how the blue end fits into the motherboard connector.  There's a tutorial on the Acer website (link below) that simply says, "Connect the hard drive cable to the mainboard connector and close the latch."  However, the blue connector on the cable does not really "connect" in any positive way to the mainboard connector.  At best, all I can do is open the latch and just lay the cable end down loosely on top of the mainboard connector, without a positive fit or anything to assure alignment, and try to close the latch.  However, the latch doesn't hold it in place, and the cable simply falls out. What am I doing wrong? 

Here's the link to the tutorial: 
    https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/13999-hard-drive-installation-instructions-for-the-acer-aspire-a5-series  Step 10 of the tutorial is what I copied and pasted above.

Thanks very much for your reply!
  • tewasm

Tinkerer

I figured out the problem, and I'm posting it here in case it's helpful to anybody else: 

The Qualcomm Atheros network adapter is mounted just above the connector on the mainboard, and this network adapter prevents the latch on the mainboard connector from fully opening.  If the latch isn't fully open, the cable connector will not insert completely into the mainboard connector.  So, I removed the screw holding the network adapter so that the adapter sprang up and out of the way.  Once it was out of the way, it was relatively easy fully open the latch, fully insert the blue end of the hard disk cable into the mainboard connector, and close the latch.  The latch now holds the cable securely in place, and everything is working great.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Thanks for reporting back on your success.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tewasm

Tinkerer

Thanks very much JackE.  That is the cable I already have, but I cannot figure out how the blue end fits into the motherboard connector.  There's a tutorial on the Acer website (link below) that simply says, "Connect the hard drive cable to the mainboard connector and close the latch."  However, the blue connector on the cable does not really "connect" in any positive way to the mainboard connector.  At best, all I can do is open the latch and just lay the cable end down loosely on top of the mainboard connector, without a positive fit or anything to assure alignment, and try to close the latch.  However, the latch doesn't hold it in place, and the cable simply falls out. What am I doing wrong? 

Here's the link to the tutorial: 
    https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/13999-hard-drive-installation-instructions-for-the-acer-aspire-a5-series  Step 10 of the tutorial is what I copied and pasted above.

Thanks very much for your reply!