USB ports operate but do not supply power Aspire E 15 (E-576-392H

Options
2»

Answers

• steinein
    steinein Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    @JackE The keyboard and mouse both have lights. I've been plugging/unplugging them for days just hoping they will miraculously start working again. But as far as trying to force/re-seat them repeatedly, I'm not comfortable with that/have never heard of that as a way to "clean contacts". When I get a chance I'll go buy a can of compressed air, but I don't know if that is really going to cut it, especially since one of the two that is malfunctioning at least works some of the time. Only the one on the right is completely dead,
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,627 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>especially since one of the two that is malfunctioning at least works some of the time.>>>

Intermittency is a strong indication that there indeed are dirty or corroded contacts inside. "Repeatedly re-seating them" doesn't mean "forcing or forcibly reseating them".  Be gentle. They're made to be gently plugged in and unplugged hundreds of times or more like any electrical or electronics plug. Reseating them is perhaps the best and gentlest way to help clean the dirt and corrosion off the contacts without going to exremes. You might dab a little rubbing alcohol on the plug contacts with a Q-tip, then insert in the USB jack.   

Jack E/NJ

• steinein
    steinein Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    If one of three was bad, maybe, but two at the same time? It can't be something as simple as dirty connectors.

Especially when you factor in:

- the overheating.
    - the fact that the symptoms on the two ports are different (one is completely dead and the other has power for some items but not others and the docked external SATA drive won't load in Windows on either).

I still don't think reseating them will do anything to clean the ports or fix the problem. Got anything else?

• JackE
    Options
    My best guesses are

(1) The left-side two USB3 ports are OK except possibly for the dirty/corroded contacts in the back port due its intermittent behavior.

(2) The  right-side USB2 port may either have a similar issue or its ribbon cable somehow disconnected from or not well seated to its mainboard
     connector. If the latter, the bottom cover and battery must be removed to access the ribbon cable connector.

Contact issues like these often manifest when the environment changes to warm humid conditions. If you're still hesistant to try to clean up these ports by the aforemention re-seating methods, then I suggest you take the machine to a local laptop repair shop for an evaluation and repair estimate.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• IanRobinson
    IanRobinson Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

JackE, I have read your suggestions concerning the USB problem above. I have the same problem on my Aspire E15 (E5-553G-T3NF). The left side front USB3 does not work at all. I have tried all the standard methods to get it working without success. There is apparently no power there as a USB stick with an indicator light indicated that. The other USB ports light up the USB stick indicator. Any suggestions. Thanks.

• JackE
    Options

IanRobinson

The USB board ribbon cable has likely come loose from or needs to be reseated on the mainboard connector. You must remove the DVD tray by removing one retaining screw near the center vents of the bottom cover and slide the tray out. Then remove the HDD door and disconnect the HDD. Then remove 17 screws and base cover. Disconnect battery pack.

Jack E/NJ