USB ports operate but do not supply power Aspire E 15 (E-576-392H

steinein
steinein Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have an Aspire E 15 (E-576-392H). It is about two years old.

A few days ago two of the three USB ports stopped working. I've gone into Device Manager, deleted them, refreshed, rebooted, etc. Device Manager says I have the most recent drivers and that the ports are operating properly.

I had let Win10 do an update so I reversed it, still no change.

What I've since discovered is that items that get power from the port (mouse, keyboard) don't work, but one that runs on external power (SATA to USB dock) is recognized and will operate as designed.

I have tested the mouse and keyboard independently and they are operational.

Would the cause be something that I can easily fix within Windows or will I need to open it up and check cables etc.? If the latter, what should I be looking for?

If it helps in diagnosis, just prior to finding the ports having issues I had noticed that the left front side where two of the three ports are had been running a little hot (and it isn't now so I wonder if something burned out). But one of the working ports is there and the other malfunctioning one is on the right front.

Thanks!

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    The two side-by-side USB ports are soldered to the mainboard. The single USB port on the other side is a separate i/o board with a flexible cable connected to the mainboard. If the two affected ports are on the opposite sides, then it's probably not a hardware issue. I'd try shutting the laptop off, remove the charger, then insert a paperclip into the reset pinhole on the bottom for about 60 seconds. Then plug the charger back in and wait for the battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue. Then turn it back on and test the affected ports again.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• steinein

Tinkerer

@JackE So.. I just tried your excellent suggestion, but sadly it didn't resolve the problem. Do you have anything else I can try?

Thanks for your help!
  • steinein

Tinkerer

I have no idea if this will be of assistance but this the laptop. The first port on the left (which right now has the mouse plugged into it) is the one that works 100% of the time. The one just "behind" it works only when the peripheral has it's own separate power. The one on the right I couldn't recall for sure if I tried it with the SATA dock - so I did that just now, and it didn't load up the drive. So in fact that one may be completely dead. The power cord (obviously) is plugged into the right rear. That's all I have plugged into it, it isn't overloaded, there's no printer, other external drives, etc.

• JackE
    Use the mouse as a test device on all three ports. Which ports does the mouse work both on battery alone and plugged in?

Jack E/NJ

• steinein

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    @jackE The mouse itself has no battery. It is strictly wired. It only works on the front left which is the one port I have no issues with. It doesn't work on either of the other two.
  • JackE
    Is anything stuck in the left front card reader?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• steinein

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    @jackE I don't have a card reader. And that USB port is the one that is working. But I checked, and nothing is stuck or broken. I also looked at the other two and they're fine as well.
  • JackE
    You should have a card reader. Close the laptop and look at the left front edge as shown below. If you don't have this reader, please confirm that your model is an E5-576. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• steinein

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    EDIT: Its on the front front, not the right side front. Doh. I've never used it (I barely noticed it to be honest. That's funny). No it's clear!

I checked the sticker and I see that I was missing a digit in my original post (typo). Sorry about that (though when I search google with the wrong number it comes up with my machine). Thanks again for all of your help!

• JackE
    >>>Left front is two USB ports, and the HDMI port. >>>

Just to make sure we're on the same page regarding the left front edge, I'm refering to the left edge shown below. Do you only have an LED or nothing at all on this edge? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• steinein

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    @JackE Yeah, dumb me. Realized that and edited my post, but we must have crossed over whilst typing. I never used it, forgot all about it. But I checked and it is clear.
  • JackE
    >>>left front side where two of the three ports are had been running a little hot (and it isn't now so I wonder if something burned out)>>>

Is the card reader also in the area where it was a little hot before?

Jack E/NJ

• steinein

Tinkerer

@JackE Yes that is the same approximate spot, but just a little further back and to the left. Not quite on the front corner.
  • JackE
    The reason we're focusing on this is because the card reader is directly over the 2 USB ports on the left side. Would you say the heat seemed closer to the reader connector (2 below) body or the small black chips (red oval). The heat would've likely been greater on the keyboard side than the bottom side. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• steinein

Tinkerer

Yes, it was closer to the edge where the USB ports are but not quite at the edge. I would say it radiated out from about an inch away from the corner. I noticed it only when I was picking up the laptop. Maybe 2 or 3 times over a few days, when I would go to shut down (and it had been on all day).

I thought you might ask me to test the card reader - but should that be a thought, I can't - I am moving and packed them seeing as how I never use them.
  • JackE
    Yeah, those chips seem to control power to left-side rear USB3 port and right-side USB2 port only when the machine is turned on. The power to the left-side front USB3 port is on all the time to also support power-off charging other USB devices.

Does an activity LED on a USB stick light up when you insert it in either of the two problem USB ports?

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• steinein

Tinkerer

edited April 2021
    @JackE The USB stick I have available has no LED. So I tried my portable battery and it lit up/started charging for both the left USB ports but not the right. Same when I plugged in my cell phone. This is with the power cord in for the laptop. Same result when I pull the power cord from the laptop.

Edit: Note the keyboard and mouse have been working for over a year prior to this. It's not a new peripheral/compatibility issue.
  • JackE
    edited April 2021
    >>>So I tried my portable battery and it lit up/started charging for both the left USB ports>>>

With laptop shut off and unplugged, only the left front USB3 port should charge the phone. Is this correct?

Jack E/NJ

• steinein

Tinkerer

JackE said:

With laptop shut off and unplugged, only the left front USB3 port should charge the phone. Is this correct?

Yes. Just tried it to be sure.
  • JackE
    I don't think there's anything wrong with either USB3 ports. Perhaps the inside contacts might be dirty and not providing continuity for a very  low current drain device like your mouse. Does your external USB keyboard have LEDs? Do any of them light up on the left rear USB3 port with the laptop turned on? If not, see if repeatedly re-seating its USB plug in the USB3 jack (repeatedly pushing it in then pulling it out) to help clean the contacts makes them light up. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ