Acer Swift 5 sf514-54t started overheating heavily with minimal workload.

System
System Member Posts: 4,518 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
This discussion was created from comments split from: How to downgrade BIOS? (Acer swift 3 sf314-57g.

Answers

• JohnSmith88
    JohnSmith88 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a similar  problem. After the recent Windows update my laptop Acer Swift 5 sf514-54t started overheating heavily with minimal workload. I thought there could be something wrong with the BIOS and I wanted to update it, but I found out that version 1.21 is installed and the latest available on the website is 1.18. I did not update BIOS manually, so I suspect Windows update did this. How can I update to version 1.18? Please help.
  • Igb557
    Igb557 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I have a similar  problem. After the recent Windows update my laptop Acer Swift 5 sf514-54t started overheating heavily with minimal workload. I thought there could be something wrong with the BIOS and I wanted to update it, but I found out that version 1.21 is installed and the latest available on the website is 1.18. I did not update BIOS manually, so I suspect Windows update did this. How can I update to version 1.18? Please help.

I have the exactly the same issue with 54gt. I feel version 1.21 is harming my machine. Have you found a solution?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021
    What I've notice on my laptop recently is some apps that are using the graphics aren't shutting down cleanly. I'm guessing it's more of an issue with the GPU drivers then with the BIOS, since the fan seems to track the temperature correctly (that's really the only thing in the BIOS that affect temperature, the fan table that sets speed based on temperature). I can often fire up Task Manager and see the app still running even five minutes after closing it. A force halt clears it up and my temps drop rapidly back to normal.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Igb557

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    What I've notice on my laptop recently is some apps that are using the graphics aren't shutting down cleanly. I'm guessing it's more of an issue with the GPU drivers then with the BIOS, since the fan seems to track the temperature correctly (that's really the only thing in the BIOS that affect temperature, the fan table that sets speed based on temperature). I can often fire up Task Manager and see the app still running even five minutes after closing it. A force halt clears it up and my temps drop rapidly back to normal.
    My issue is something else. The fan does not start after I open the lid and it wakes from sleep mode. I noticed that it does spin eventually when external graphic card which is not in use reaches 60 degrees. I noticed this issue around the same time bios upgraded to 1.21, I never had any issues before.
    What I usually do is restart the laptop when I feel it is getting hot and the fan spins straight away. Unfortunately, that is not a long term solution.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    CPU/GPU temperatures of 60 aren't too far off optimal. My guess is the 'BIOS' upgrade that came through from Windows Update tweaked the fan table. Not that it's not actually the BIOS that's being updated with those updates, it's the EFI image. My system started working correctly again with the latest GPU driver updates, this last week.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Igb557

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    CPU/GPU temperatures of 60 aren't too far off optimal. My guess is the 'BIOS' upgrade that came through from Windows Update tweaked the fan table. Not that it's not actually the BIOS that's being updated with those updates, it's the EFI image. My system started working correctly again with the latest GPU driver updates, this last week.

The fan was starting to spin when external GPU (MX350) reached 60. The external GPU was not is use. The CPU temperatures were 70-80.

You were right, it seems that last Intel drivers fixed the issue. Thanks. It appears that the system works properly now. Maybe the issue wasn't Bios update after all.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru

Hi JohnSmith88,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.

5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • Igb557

Tinkerer

Igb557 said:
    billsey said:

The fan was starting to spin when external GPU (MX350) reached 60. The external GPU was not is use. The CPU temperatures were 70-80.

You were right, it seems that last Intel drivers fixed the issue. Thanks. It appears that the system works properly now. Maybe the issue wasn't Bios update after all.

The driver didn't fix the problem unfortunately. Took the risk and downgraded the bios. All good now. The issue was the faulty bios update.

I really regret not doing it earlier. Since I started having this problem, 25% of my battery is gone because of heat. Definitely not buying an Acer laptop again.
  • DanStudio
    DanStudio Member Posts: 2 New User
    Igb557 said:
    The driver didn't fix the problem unfortunately. Took the risk and downgraded the bios. All good now. The issue was the faulty bios update.

I really regret not doing it earlier. Since I started having this problem, 25% of my battery is gone because of heat. Definitely not buying an Acer laptop again.
    Same problem here.
    Please tell how did you make a downgrade.
  • DanStudio
    DanStudio Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited August 2021
    It is possible to downgradfe, I've found this manual:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svECr9hIDMk

It worked for me with Swift 5 SF514-54T

p.s. Be sure to remove old "Device firmware" drivers and block automatic driver updates downgrade or else BIOS will be updated again and again.