How to downgrade BIOS? (Acer swift 3 sf314-57g

Options
ABRIN
ABRIN Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I recently updated the bios version to 1.21 , but then it started to overheat, i called customer care. He asked me my bios version, i told him. He said latest is 1.8, how is your bios version 1.21. i then visited website and checked the latest version was 1.8. when i tried to install it, it says you already have a higher version installed. But i really wanna downgrade.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    Where did you find a version 1.21? Typically the fan speed table is handled by the BIOS, so overheating could be tied to the improper BIOS you could have installed, but it's also possible you didn't update the BIOS, but instead some portion of it like the Management Engine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ABRIN

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    Where did you find a version 1.21? Typically the fan speed table is handled by the BIOS, so overheating could be tied to the improper BIOS you could have installed, but it's also possible you didn't update the BIOS, but instead some portion of it like the Management Engine.
    I don't know, how it exactly happened, but yes, it is causing overheating. So i just want to install the 1.18 version. Please give appropriate instructions
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @ABRIN and @JohnSmith88Can you check in the device manager, which version of the bios is installed?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ABRIN

Tinkerer

Options
    @ABRIN and @JohnSmith88Can you check in the device manager, which version of the bios is installed?

these are the screenshot from device manager.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you check in the optional updates, if the windows update provides any bios updates?

How was the bios updated? If the problem occurred after updating the bios, try to restore it. Access the bios and then press f9 and then press f10 to save and exit.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • alextheta
    alextheta Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have the same problem, and it looks like bios v 1.21 was somehow installed by windows or its update. Any solutions to downgrade to 1.18? May Acer re-release 1.18 with higher version number?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @alexthetaDowngrade is not recommended. Try accessing the bios, pressing f9 and then f10.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cjs1337
    cjs1337 Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    I have the same problem. THe BIOS must have been on the website, maybe it was pulled because of a faulty configuration. Would be fitting for Acer not to communicate this at all...
  • billsey
    Options
    Yes, the update is handled by Windows for just the EFI portion of the BIOS. Normally you have to do a reset with the F9 key in the BIOS to get settings correct again.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Igb557
    Igb557 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    I have the same issue with v1.21. It is harming my machine. Sometimes the device is very hot and the fans don't kick in at all. Other times I leave it in sleep mode on battery and I find it in a few hours with battery drained to 0%. 
    Has anyone found a solution?
  • billsey
    Options
    I answered you on the other thread, but didn't ask if you did the F9 reset in the BIOS (I don't expect that to fix your issue though).
  • Igb557
    Igb557 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    I answered you on the other thread, but didn't ask if you did the F9 reset in the BIOS (I don't expect that to fix your issue though).
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried that, no change
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Check if this new version of the bios provides a feature called REAL TIME CLOCK in the bios and then click ACTIVATE:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer