What is the motherboard generation of my laptop? - Acer 5, A515-51G-70X0

13»

Answers

• iamhamzatahir
    iamhamzatahir Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    StevenGen said:
    JackE said:
    They make crystaldiskinfo results look untrustworthy to me.   Jack E/NJ
    JackE, I've done all these tests twice and again with atto-disk-benchmark-4010f1 (which is the latest and supposed to be the #1 benchmarking test tool for SSD's) and with CBM 8.0.1 that is the latest and with AS-SSD Benchmark latest version (which it says its in English but can't change the language from German to English) and here are all the tests results again, there is not much of a discrepancy between CBM 7.0 to 8.0 or in any of the two test of each.

Its not these benchmarking that are at fault as what iamhamzatahir is getting is a very low score and there is definitely either something wrong with his M.2 drive or his laptop does not support that type of M.2 drive. The A515-51G takes an M.2 type and like this Hynix 256gb Hfs256g39tnd-n210a Internal M.2 SATA SSD Drive that is a B&M key type M.2 (that is listed in the Acer Service Manual, I've attached all the specs from there below) so have a look at that iamhamzatahir as you must have the wrong M.2 drive that is not suitable for your A515-51G, as an M.2 SATA-3 6GB/sec with TRIM enabled will give you the same performance or better than my 2.5" Samsung 850 EVO SSD that I've shown what its performance is like even after 3 plus years of constant use. Good luck and hope this helps.

atto-disk-benchmark-v4.01.0f1 Samsung 850 EVO SSD with TRIM enabled

CBM v8.0.1 for 2.5" Samsung 850 EVO SSD with TRIM enabled

AS-SSD Benchmark v2.0.73 Samsung 850 EVO SSD with TRIM enabled

The three cuts m.2 drive as shown by you with 'B&M edge comnector' won't work in A515-51g. Let me show you the port I have in my laptop.

• iamhamzatahir
    @StevenGen @JackE @egydiocoelho @Leostat

Here are some other benchmarks for my drive:

Check the ATTO's benchmark, the speeds are increasing up to 32 KB but then they become constant. What does that mean?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,283 Trailblazer

Here are some other benchmarks for my drive:

Check the ATTO's benchmark, the speeds are increasing up to 32 KB but then they become constant. What does that mean?

Ok so you must have the newest A515-51G laptop that has the M.2 NVMe "M key", sorry I was looking at the Aspire A515-51G — NX.GP5AA.001 Acer Service Manual which is an older model. What is the exact model # e.g. A515-51G-XX give us the full model number that is listed on the sticker on the back of your laptop.

As your 
    A515-51G has the "M key" slot and it must be the newest model and can take NVMe. Also, these  benchmark figures you are giving us are very slow as you should get much quicker figures from your NVMe M.2 drive much quicker than what I'm getting from an old 9 year old Aspire V3-571G laptop with a 2.5" SSD drive, something is not right with that drive, change the drive 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I believe what @iamhamzatahir has is a PCIe3.0  x4  M.2 NVMe SSD, but the motherboard will only allow 2 lanes, so the CrystalDiskMark result is a typical PCIe 3.0 x2 M.2 NVMe SSD result, which is still way higher than M.2 SATA SSD.

@StevenGen, I still just cannot believe how a 2.5" SATA SSD can achieve performance even exceeding the high end PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD speed with a "TRIM" command. That is approaching the low end PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD performance. If so, people can just forget getting PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD. It is something hard to understand.

• iamhamzatahir
    @StevenGen
    A515-51G-70X0
  • iamhamzatahir
    ttttt said:
    I believe what @iamhamzatahir has is a PCIe3.0  x4  M.2 NVMe SSD, but the motherboard will only allow 2 lanes, so the CrystalDiskMark result is a typical PCIe 3.0 x2 M.2 NVMe SSD result, which is still way higher than M.2 SATA SSD.

@StevenGen, I still just cannot believe how a 2.5" SATA SSD can achieve performance even exceeding the high end PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD speed with a "TRIM" command. That is approaching the low end PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD performance. If so, people can just forget getting PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD. It is something hard to understand.

What should I do now? Should I ask to exchange the drive?
    If the issue is with my motherboard, allowing just 2 lanes, then I will get similar result even if I switch to Evo devices from Samsung.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,767 Trailblazer
    >>>What should I do now?>>>

Well, I know what I'd do If it was mine, I'd be quite happy with apparently getting a newer A515-51G mainboard with the updated M-key nvme m.2 socket that seems to far exceed the speed of the older  B- or B+M key SATA3 m.2 socket protocols. I'd rather try to enjoy the enhanced speed of the adata card in real world apps, programs & games, than to fret over the results of benchmark freeware that apparently vary with different computers/mainboards/manufaturers.  Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @iamhamzatahir

I would agree with @JackE that to enjoy your new drive. You overpaid a little, ( probably 20-30% price difference) but this drive is still 2-3 times faster than a typical M.2 SATA SSD, well worth it. I won't go through the hassle of returning it or wait for exchange/refund.

When you retire this PC in the future you may still apply this x4 drive it to another PC that uses 4 lanes PCIe.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,283 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    ttttt said:

ttttt, its a matter of keeping your system maintained properly and up to date and matching components to the hardware of this laptop, no Houdini magic here! As the above figures are on a 9 year old laptop Aspire V3-571G with a mainboard model VA50_HC_HR, HM77 chipset and PCIe 3.0 (8.0 GT/s) bus and with a i7-3610QM Ivy Bridge cpu. There is nothing else that I can tell you. I've taken all these benchmark tests a few times and I've also reinstalled all benchmarking software a few times to make sure that all these tests above are as accurate as possible. The tests are correct as far as I can show, I've done them numerous times and they don't come out much different so, it must be correct. The only mod that this laptop has is that its running the DDR3-1866-PC3-14900 at 2x 4GB (Hynix type ram 13.0-13-13-32 @ 935MHz, Channel#:Dual) and with this Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SSD, nothing magical about this laptop. It must be that this combination is a perfect match and that is why these benchmarking figures are so high and these combinations work together.
  • iamhamzatahir
    Update guys. I checked my drive on an Asus A320 motherboard and the results are as follows:
    1: Profile being Nvme SSD
    2: Profile being Default

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,767 Trailblazer
    As mentioned earlier, if it was mine I'd stop fretting over the results of benchmark freeware that apparently vary with different cards,  mainboards & manufacturers. Almost like trying to compare blueberries with bananas. The proof of the pudding is how well it performs in the system overall in real world use.  However, if benchmark freeware results seem to be your main criteria and are unhappy with the results you are seeing, then I suggest that you immediately return it to the vendor/seller for a refund or an exchange.   Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• iamhamzatahir
    JackE said:
    As mentioned earlier, if it was mine I'd stop fretting over the results of benchmark freeware that apparently vary with different cards,  mainboards & manufacturers. Almost like trying to compare blueberries with bananas. The proof of the pudding is how well it performs in the system overall in real world use.  However, if benchmark freeware results seem to be your main criteria and are unhappy with the results you are seeing, then I suggest that you immediately return it to the vendor/seller for a refund or an exchange.   Jack E/NJ   
    Don't need to exchange or refund it. I just shared it to show that the issue is not with the drive but with the motherboard of Acer A515-51g which doesn't allow it to speed. I think it has some safety protocol that doesn't allow it to heat up beyond 50°C while the Acer board allowed it to go upto 75°C.
    I am happy with it and case closed 👍.