What is the motherboard generation of my laptop? - Acer 5, A515-51G-70X0

iamhamzatahir
iamhamzatahir Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited March 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have an Acer 5, A515-51G-70X0, core i7 7th gen laptop. I am planning to install a 512 GB nvme into its motherboard. Now the issue is that I don't know the generation of my motherboard. I am mentioning the motherboard details below, can anyone please tell me its generation, I will be very grateful.
Motherboard
Manufacturer KBL
Model Charmander_KL (U3E1)
Version V1.10
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Kaby Lake
Chipset Revision 02
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model Coffee Lake-U/Y PCH
Southbridge Revision 21

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​//Edited the content to add model name on title.​

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I agree with you & also with @JordanB.  So, yes, I feel you're doing about as well as can be expected from this card. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Yes, it should support an m.2 nvme card if that's what you're asking. You downloard and install hwinfo64 freeware to see if the m.2 socket should support 2x or 4x nvme speed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• iamhamzatahir
    JackE said:
    Yes, it should support an m.2 nvme card if that's what you're asking. You downloard and install hwinfo64 freeware to see if the m.2 socket should support 2x or 4x nvme speed. Jack E/NJ
    Thank you. I have bought an nvme, so I am curious that whether my board will support it in full speed or not? I am attaching the m.2 nvme in the picture.
  • JackE
    It should support 4 link widths or full speed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• iamhamzatahir
    JackE said:
    It should support 4 link widths or full speed. Jack E/NJ

I used the software mentioned by you 'hwinfo64' to get the motherboard info. I have attached in the picture below. Now based on the motherboard details and the details of the m.2 card provided in above picture, will my laptop support this m.2 in full speed?
    Thank you.
  • JackE
    Yes. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• iamhamzatahir
    JackE said:
    Yes. Jack E/NJ
    Thank you. Much Appreciated ❤️
  • JackE
    Good luck in achieving full speed.   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• iamhamzatahir
    edited March 2021
    JackE said:
    Good luck in achieving full speed.   :)   Jack E/NJ
    I have installed the M.2 into my system but the issue is that I am getting half the speed it is capable of. Please help to solve this. The speed and other details are provided in the below given pictures.

• JackE
    Others have reported this issue with the adata xpg cards. Check this link for possible solution. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• iamhamzatahir
    edited March 2021
    JackE said:
    Others have reported this issue with the adata xpg cards. Check this link for possible solution. Jack E/NJ

I have checked my disk settings but its already working in PCIe 3.0x4.

• Try changing sata mode to rst with optane. But first enable safe boot on windows. Also check the bios version:

Now, I believe that the a515-51 model is limited to just two lines and not four lines.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • iamhamzatahir
    Try changing sata mode to rst with optane. But first enable safe boot on windows. Also check the bios version:

Now, I believe that the a515-51 model is limited to just two lines and not four lines.
    Sir, do you believe that there is no issue with the XPG nvme and actually the issue is with the motherboard model or a515-51 model?
  • iamhamzatahir
    Try changing sata mode to rst with optane. But first enable safe boot on windows. Also check the bios version:

I updated the driver and changed the settings also but still the same speeds.
  • JackE
    >>>Now, I believe that the a515-51 model is limited to just two lines and not four lines.>>>

I  now believe it's more likely that the adata card is not using the 4 links that are available on your PCIe bus. Run hwinfo64 again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2021
    @iamhamzatahir

If you're getting 1800 read speeds and 1600 write speeds on a laptop, that's fantastic.  Take a look at the links below.  One is a fairly high end Intel desktop mainboard and the other is fairly high end Ryzen desktop mainboard.   Both desktop mainboards are much more powerful (and have more lanes) than your laptop.  Yet your laptop is getting better write speeds and probably better overall.  I think you should be very happy with your results and not worry.  Good luck.  :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41424062

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41446283

Here's XPG sx8200 pro

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/35718008

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • iamhamzatahir
    JackE said:
    >>>Now, I believe that the a515-51 model is limited to just two lines and not four lines.>>>

I  now believe it's more likely that the adata card is not using the 4 links that are available on your PCIe bus. Run hwinfo64 again. Jack E/NJ

Thank You JackE. Please check these.

• iamhamzatahir
    @Leostat Please check the above given pictures. I think that it is working in UEFI.
    I currently have no other nvme support system but will try to find one in friends and family so that to check the device.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Sorry i mean the drive mode :) , when you installed did you change it to AHCI from RST with optane? (thanks for the ping to the right thread!)
  • iamhamzatahir
    Leostat said:
    Sorry i mean the drive mode :) , when you installed did you change it to AHCI from RST with optane? (thanks for the ping to the right thread!)
    Yes, in the bios menu I changed it to AHCI.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    To get the full speed it has to be optane not ahci, ahci can't take full advantage of the drive as it's limiting the number of concurrent ops in theory 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/rst-raid-vs-ahci-single-nvme-drive-theres-a-significant-difference.830629/