Acer A515-51G fried another HDD or th msata?

Binmo
Binmo Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
Background:

Static shock possible? Won't turn on.

E key acting weird, Power Button barely responsive

I also leave the laptop on for long durations because it's more convenient which would probably make it less healthy overall.
So last week it froze up so I left it on Windows "restarting" screen over night and the morning after it say no boot found with the icon of a hdd or ssd.
Now I am running it off the 128gb msata ssd only without utilizing the hdd cable at all during install of windows and had to switch back to legacy bios.
The same thing happened just before the I started having problems with Power and e button which I still have, and I fixed it like this before.
Any ideas?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    BIOS must be in UEFI mode for proper operation. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Binmo
    JackE said:
    BIOS must be in UEFI mode for proper operation. Jack E/NJ

It's working fine in legacy without a HDD but same old problems
  • JackE
    Install Windows on another 2.5" HDD or SSD in UEFI mode and GPT partitioning which is preferred. Legacy mode and MBR partitioning is NOT preferred for either a 2.5" HDD/SSD or m.2 SSD card because it can result in problems. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Binmo
    What problems? So far th only thing I've noticed is that during boot the screen flashes about 3 or 4 times but the boot time and windows updates are stupid fast.

I worked out how to remove the keycaps but did a bit of damage, looks like there was a bit of a spill under e (worked a bit better and then I think I broke it) but power button was okay though now I cant get it back on.
  • JackE
    It'll work faster in UEFI mode with GPT partitiioning and avoid limitations/problems inherent with the old MBR partitioning scheme. The machine is being hobbled and limited in legacy BIOS  mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ